Kola Queen

Started by newwaveburritos, Thu 15/10/2020 05:12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

newwaveburritos

Moline, Illinois, summer 1986. The stench of the Mississippi River, the sizzle of the parking lot asphalt. You're fresh out of community college, riding the bus around looking for a job and trying to keep your cat fed. Your Uncle Leon, a key player in the local carbonated beverage game, has been offered a chance for exclusive distribution of a brand new soda pop around the Quad Cities area, and you're just the underemployed go-getter to help him out. He needs you to help him convince the five largest pop pushers around to carry this exciting new product, using nothing but your youthful charm, anecdotal knowledge of the beverage industry and ability to make small talk about racehorses with middle-aged men in short-sleeved dress shirts. From the strip malls of Bettendorf to the smoky metal clubs of Davenport, you and your elderly Papu take to the streets with this thrilling task and you’re not taking no for an answer in this full-length adventure game. Will you find hidden treasure? A vast conspiracy to hook children on corn syrup? A grand purpose in life? Probably not, but you might meet a local TV celebrity, run into your cousin at a bar, or even learn to drive a box truck. Look for it in the first quarter of 2021 wherever games are downloaded.

Travel to all five of the Quad Cities and meet new and enthralling new people!
Drink pop!
The first ever graphic adventure game featuring a Class B commercial license at the Department of Motor Vehicles!
Captivating EGA graphics and animations!
Over thirty locations!
Pointing!
Clicking!
Even a text parser!

Chicky

This looks brilliant, I love the premise and the artwork is stunning! Wishing you the best with development.

Love the map screen!  :)

heltenjon

Very interesting and original premise/plot idea! Also looking good.  ;-D

Slasher

Pogwizd

Love the art and can't wait to see the finished game :)

SarahLiz

Oh, I am loving this!  Gorgeous screenies!  Can't wait to pet the cat & use that cool map to travel!

newwaveburritos

Thanks for all the kind words.  I'll keep you all updated about what Chrissy and Papu are up to.

FireFlower

Looks great! I also like the map screen.
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Somewhat Viable

This looks great, I like the Maniac Mansion-y style, the EGA sells it. Hope everything goes smoothly!

Monsieur OUXX

Oh wow this is GORGEOUS! Almost missed this!

fratello Manu

I'm looking forward to get a demo!  8-)

NeoDement

Really beautiful unique art, I especially like the two isometric rooms :-D

newwaveburritos

Progress is slow but steady.  Getting everything stitched together, writing dialogue, chasing down bugs.  I may even have a demo put together by the end of winter.  It's very exciting to see Chrissy walking around an environment and getting on busses to get out there and sling pop.  I'm having some fun ideas about how to make the adventure really be about the friends you make along the way.  Making friendship a game mechanic is an idea that I like a lot but I'm not completely sure how to actually implement it.  Stay tuned.

newwaveburritos

Just thought I'd pop in and drop off a gif of an animation.  I'm working with a freelance artist on a lot of the art so much of what I'm doing is filling in a few in-between frames and making it work in the world.  It's an interesting approach as it takes a lot of the pressure off of me to produce the art and concentrate on the many other things that need attention.  It's slower and there's the expense of course but in the end, I am much happier with the result than I feel like I would be if I were doing the game 100% by myself.  I'm really loving learning AGS, though, and I'm really floored by the whole community here and how good the software is.

Sorry for the poor quality screen recording I'm a busy guy I guess.

eri0o

This looks super good! Amazing work. Am curious on what you are listening while working :)

newwaveburritos

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 16/01/2021 14:09:31
This looks super good! Amazing work. Am curious on what you are listening while working :)

Listening to like what music?  Uh...New Wave mostly.  Big surprise there, I'm sure.  The game also takes place in 1986 which is late for New Wave but close enough.  It's not a documentary!

deadsuperhero

I just wanted to say that I really love the color palette and the pixel style of this game. It's a beautiful depiction of the intersection of the late EGA / early VGA era of DOS adventure games.
I can't wait to play this.  :cheesy:
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Monsieur OUXX

Great use of palette and dithering!

selmiak

This looks plain amazing! Keep it up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk