Kola Queen

Started by newwaveburritos, Thu 15/10/2020 05:12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph DiPerla

The color palette is amazing.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

missionjfrog

The art looks amazing, the artist is doing great things with that limited palette! Really interested in the premise as well, this sounds like it'll be really good.

newwaveburritos

Just a brief little note here to share a little progress.  I've started a devlog over at itch.io which I will try to keep updated at least irregularly so you can track the progress over there especially if you're already using it.  Plus, if you follow me I can follow you back and check out what you're up to!  I've been bust enough behind the scenes trying to figure everything out without having a ton of tangible progress to share here but rest assured the code is getting messier and messier.  Messy with fun!

https://kolaqueen.itch.io/kola-queen

And as a bonus for reading this new post, I'll treat you to some new character animations.  Everybody is dying to meet Gina "Subpoena" Valentine.  She'll be your new best friend!  Oh, and don't forget Sandy.  You'll have an adventure with her, too.  You meet her at the track when you get involved in the life and times of the racehorse Batty Bill.

Danvzare

That's a really nice artstyle you've got going there.
Keep up the good work.  :-D

newwaveburritos

Just a little mockup to let everyone know that work is still progressing at a somewhat reasonable pace.  Just because I can't hang out with friends in a bar doesn't mean that you can't in the world of Kola Queen!  Everyday after you make your rounds convincing reputable sodie dealers to carry your new product you will have a chance to unwind at the bar with your friends and the people who populate the Quad Cities before going home and starting fresh the next day with more Cola Galore: America's hottest new carob flavored soda with twice the flavor at only half the calories.

oareaso

Looks very nice Man!

newwaveburritos

It's been a couple of months since I updated here so I thought I would give a little taste of what's coming to those of you who are interested parties.

I've decided it might be best to release to the game as a series so that people can actually play the game while I work on all of it which means that your progress will in fact track through the games.  Various decisions you make will factor into the happenings of the future games in the series as well as the friendships you have made and fostered as well.  There will be a day/night cycle to where you drive the plot and distribute that sweet, sweet soda pop during the day and have the night off to do whatever you please.  Driving your relationships will be a core feature.  Just like real life you won't be able to build relationships with everyone; you'll have to make some choices.

I'm also introducing what I hope is another first for point-and-click adventure games: an innovative hangover system.  Sure, you can hang out with your friends all night at the bar deepening your relationships but you will pay for it tomorrow!  Maybe it doesn't do much.  Maybe somebody will notice.  It'll be fun.  Just like a hangover.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm over-promising here but trying to tie all of these weird systems together has been what you might call fun.  No, scratch that, it's tedium.  Tedium is what I'm thinking of. 

At any rate, I hope you'll have fun when you play it this summer.

Pogwizd

If there is one thing I know for sure, it is that there is no better fun like a good hangover.

It is interesting to see that this game will feature some RPGish elements like stats (friendship and hangover). If these affect the gameplay, I am guessing the game may have high replay value.

Good luck with the project : )

ThreeOhFour

This looks so good! Looking forward to it.  :cheesy:

TheVolumeRemote

I am really excited for this, I adore your art style and palettes!Keep up the great work mate!

newwaveburritos

Just a quick update to let you know that I'm still working on the game just about every day in my spare time.  It's starting to take shape and I can reasonably assert that it will indeed be ready this summer.  I signed up for the AGS Forum almost exactly a year ago so I guess I missed that deadline but I've learned a lot and I think Kola Queen will be the better for it.  You can also follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/PlayKolaQueen

Here's some new art.  The bar you hold dear in your heart and hang out in every night after work.

heltenjon

I just love the graffiti!  (laugh) And that sign makes me wonder what "the incident" is, just like the intention probably is. Great stuff!

Andrea1992

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Fri 09/04/2021 19:28:56
Just because I can't hang out with friends in a bar doesn't mean that you can't in the world of Kola Queen!

:grin: :grin: :grin:
I feel so identified with this statement!
I like this project btw, it 'transmits' a nice vibe, keep up the good work!

javixblack

Lovely visuals!!!! can't wait to taste it!  this will be a commercial game?

newwaveburritos

Quote from: javixblack on Sun 01/08/2021 19:00:32
this will be a commercial game?

I haven't quite decided if I want to make it a "pay what you want" or just straight up charge a somewhat nominal amount.  I'm shooting for about four to six hours of gameplay.

ilkaytobello

Colors are amazing!  I love the smoking and speech animation. I am looking forward to play when it's released ^^ Good luck!  (nod)

newwaveburritos

Just a little note to indicate that I still work on Kola Queen most days and I can start to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  Here is the party at the end of the game and I gotta say seeing all of these characters together on a single screen is really a bit emotional for me.  It's really happening!

Creamy

Lovely, I like those 80s haircuts. Please ask grandpa to get off the chair.

newwaveburritos

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 11/09/2021 17:06:41
Lovely, I like those 80s haircuts. Please ask grandpa to get off the chair.

I was wondering if anybody would notice that I apparently gotten the walk behind on that chair incorrect but failed to notice it myself until I had already taken the screenshot.  But now I kinda like it!

SarahLiz

Ha!  Grandpa, livin' on the edge...

Looking good, btw!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk