Open Sourcing AGS games

Started by deadsuperhero, Mon 16/11/2020 03:53:01

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this, but I figured this might be a good spot.

I have a couple of AGS projects going on right now that are, more than anything, an exploration in doing new things with art and code. I currently have full-time employment secured, and don't really have any concern for money as a consequence. I'm a huge fan of Free Software / Open Source, use Linux as a daily driver, and like the idea of enriching the digital commons by releasing whatever I make for people to use, to the fullest extent possible, for free.

I have some projects in the prototyping stage right now, and I'm interested in releasing the code under a Free Software license (with credit and license provisions for any of the Public Domain script modules I use), and I'm interested in releasing all of the art assets under a Creative Commons license.

The biggest question mark for me, at this point, is what license makes the most sense? I was thinking of going with the GNU GPL for the code part, but I'm not 100% sure how compatible that is with the engine's use of the Artistic License. I think they're compatible (in the way that MIT / BSD is compatible with GNU), but I'm not super well-versed in what the most appropriate thing might be. I'm also not totally sure what the best option is when I might also want to sell binaries on app stores such as Steam for like 99 cents, for the hell of it.

Does anyone have an opinion of what a good path forward might look like for releasing Open Source AGS games?
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Mon 16/11/2020 03:53:01
I was thinking of going with the GNU GPL for the code part, but I'm not 100% sure how compatible that is with the engine's use of the Artistic License.

There was a discussion about this very long ago when AGS was becoming opensource, which was a serious question because of the commercial game development, and IIRC the consensus was that the engine and the game data are completely separate entities both in source and binary form, and therefore may be covered by incompatible licenses too.

I am not a big expert in licenses, but personally found GNU GPL too restrictive, especially for a game script, so just use MIT or even Creative Commons (used CC BY on multiple occasions lately).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk