How old is your computer?

Started by Olleh19, Wed 21/10/2020 16:45:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Olleh19

I'm soon (i hope) into my tenth year with my custom built computer. I'm guessing i have the first or second generation i7 Sabertooth p67, what a motherboard. All i can say...You guys would die laughing hearing that story. (i'll save the story for later see if anybody on here is just as crazy as me, keeping old machines running!). It almost crashed on me a couple of weeks ago tho,  and i was THIS close to order a new one. In fact i actually ordered one, but some parts where missing in their stock so the customer support adviced me to re-order but change out those parts, or else i had to wait for the computer for months...Turns out that made them loose a customer.  (laugh)
I started investigating more. I mean to be fair it's not the first time i've had a computer crash on me. It's been faulthy Ram Memory bluescreens, HD crashes (ntdl.dll file missing) when windows boots up (if you guys didn't know, now you know. That's motherboard failing on you, and potentially HD), and powersupply shortage, a scary light shows up and then *power off*.  (laugh) (wtf)

So anyway i just used Google and searched for the exact bluescreen error i've got all the time while booting Windows. Found out the bluescreen error i got was either Ram memory's or HD failing.
So i started doing memtest, chkdsk, etc  and it could not get past a certain point, it just keept re-setting  itself all the time. I know chkdsk "looks" like that sometimes, a part of the process, but this was not normal behaviour. Then it was kinda easy to add two and two together. Took out the HD. Went and bought a new one, it's a bit more noisy, but this had me clean up the overall Machine. First my Trusty M-Audio Delta 66, 15+ years(!). Incredible value for the money with aircompression, the graphicscard, cpu fan a little bit, didn't take it apart cause i don't have any cooler paste (i think it's called, without googling) in my home, but anyway. And here i am again up and running!

Please share your computer Stories. Maybe i'm just a nerd, but i like hearing such stuff. Especially about crashes, and how they were solved. Forexample a big misconception is that if a "usb drive" crashes the HD is damaged. Usually it's not.
It's just the usb mechanism that's faulty and the HD is fine. I've had 3 Usb drives failing on me that way. The brand i don't want to name. They've got some great stuff to that have held up for many years, let's put it that way  (laugh)

BarbWire

Hi Olleh 19

The oldest computer, in our house, is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 3438G. Laptop. It must be at least 15 years old,
but is still in working order. Nowadays, it is mostly used for storing music and films. I suppose you  could say it's
a family heirloom and we can't bear to part with it.
As for computer problems....... The other day in my start menu the Settings went missing. After googling the issue,
I found a few lines of programming which rectified the problem. Great, I thought, all back to normal.  Next day I
switched on the PC and Windows would not appear.  This prompted a computer reset. Only trouble, was when it
started up there was no sound because no audio drivers had been installed. After visiting various sites I found the
drivers I needed, and was finally able to resume gaming. Aint technology grand.  :-\

Olleh19

Quote from: BarbWire on Wed 21/10/2020 21:45:02

Hi Olleh 19

The oldest computer, in our house, is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 3438G. Laptop. It must be at least 15 years old,
but is still in working order. Nowadays, it is mostly used for storing music and films. I suppose you  could say it's
a family heirloom and we can't bear to part with it.
As for computer problems....... The other day in my start menu the Settings went missing. After googling the issue,
I found a few lines of programming which rectified the problem. Great, I thought, all back to normal.  Next day I
switched on the PC and Windows would not appear.  This prompted a computer reset. Only trouble, was when it
started up there was no sound because no audio drivers had been installed. After visiting various sites I found the
drivers I needed, and was finally able to resume gaming. Aint technology grand.  :-\

Cool! I have one laptop that i use to demo my games on my tvscreen, which is great cause then i get a feeling for how my art "really" looks. Lately i have had calibration color issues with my old screens. Btw, they are even older then 15years some of them!
Probably 17years old, ha ha ha. Should have changed those long ago!  8-0
Sounds like a lot of strange issues going on there! Did you do the typical Windows updates? As i've understod it, if you have windows home you are forced to do those updates with windows 10 ???, which is one reason i am still on the old Windows 7 machine. All i update is the windows security essentials, or search & destroy. Both have saved my ass many times. And do not lag up the computer completely like some virus protection has a tendency to do.
I'm too scared to change to Win10 actually.
From what i have seen of it and the changes that have been made. I do not approve (laugh)
I just wished one could mod windows 10, so it's more like that classic Windows look. With normal start meny, etc. I'm not a fan of the "app" looking modern windows. (laugh)

BarbWire

Hi Olleh 19

If some of your screens are 17 years old and still giving good service then it just goes to show how
well things were made in the past. Nowadays, it's a throw away society with gadgets being released
every six months. Do we really need companies churning out several models of the same item, which
basically do the same thing.
Hear! Hear! I'm no fan of the apps looking Windows 10 system, either. Microsoft has the monopoly and
we have no choice in the matter. In my view apps are for mobiles and tablets. Another thing I don't like
is the linking of Computers, mobiles and tablets.
Most of the updates on Windows 10 are essential, but they can cause some people issues sometimes.
Thankfully, I have managed fairly well with the OS and I suppose Windows 7, like XP, will one day no
longer be supported. Bloody Microsoft.  :-D

Olleh19

Quote from: BarbWire on Fri 23/10/2020 14:56:57
Hi Olleh 19

If some of your screens are 17 years old and still giving good service then it just goes to show how
well things were made in the past. Nowadays, it's a throw away society with gadgets being released
every six months. Do we really need companies churning out several models of the same item, which
basically do the same thing.
Hear! Hear! I'm no fan of the apps looking Windows 10 system, either. Microsoft has the monopoly and
we have no choice in the matter. In my view apps are for mobiles and tablets. Another thing I don't like
is the linking of Computers, mobiles and tablets.
Most of the updates on Windows 10 are essential, but they can cause some people issues sometimes.
Thankfully, I have managed fairly well with the OS and I suppose Windows 7, like XP, will one day no
longer be supported. Bloody Microsoft.  :-D

Exactly! Maybe i should've named the thread "how old is your computer or and phone" (laugh) I've ran a Samsung Galaxy s2 for so many years, then when the bank app forced me to upgrade. I didn't buy a new phone instantly. I got a custom Os running instead.
However later i bought a used S6, and when i was out for a bikeride had the phone in my backpack, unfortunaly somehow the screen got crushed. So i bought a s7.
And that's where i am now.

Those phones are basically very much the same. There is no huge difference, It's juts a different name, screen size perhaps changed a little. It's like who cares? It's basically the same deal. Looking at the specs the S6 edge even had some better features then the basic s7 i have now. If i don't remember wrong.  (laugh). I remember when i first could play Zelda 64 or Goldeneye on the phone, or any game emulator for that matter. How cool that was!

BarbWire

Well, I've enjoyed our chats, olleh. It seems that we are two like minded people. All the best for the future.  ;-D

Creamy

QuoteI'm soon (i hope) into my tenth year with my custom built computer.
My computer is from 2010. And I still use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 to draw, although I've been testing other softwares lately in anticipation of its demise.

Until the beginning of this year, I had a Nokia Lumia phone that I bought about 10 years ago. I'd still use it if Whatsapp had not dropped support for Windows Phones.

My Wacom Graphire 4 tablet died a couple of weeks ago. I had it for more than 10 years too.

Olleh19

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 23/10/2020 20:53:14
QuoteI'm soon (i hope) into my tenth year with my custom built computer.
My computer is from 2010. And I still use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 to draw, although I've been testing other softwares lately in anticipation of its demise.

Until the beginning of this year, I had a Nokia Lumia phone that I bought about 10 years ago. I'd still use it if Whatsapp had not dropped support for Windows Phones.

My Wacom Graphire 4 tablet died a couple of weeks ago. I had it for more than 10 years too.

Sorry to hear about your Graphics tablet! That sucks. May i give you a suggestion? A little upgrade for a cheap buck. I used to do my stuff on a Wacom aswell. Three years ago i instead bought a unknown product similar to Wacom's Cintiq models, after looking it up on youtube and reviews, an Artisul d13 and they are SO CHEAP right now, i can't believe it. I actually feel like they are getting robbed for selling it that cheap. Maybe i should buy one more just in case this one breaks down, ha ha. Then you get an actual screen (look up it's stats and compare it to a similar model Cintiq and you'll see for yourself. Pretty much the same deal, but way cheaper. It's so much nicer to look into and draw onto a screen instead. I paid way more for mine, but it was still cheaper then the cintiq's of similar sizes. It's not a big screen but it's big enough to do pixelart or gameart/drawings in general, i'd say. Take a look and see if it's not something for you. Good luck with your future art, and about Paint shop pro. I used that back in the day, then i've got a copy of Photoshops CS6 and now that is all i use. I love it for pixelart animations, and such. It's so nice to have everything in "a software" and not, "a animation software" "a drawing software" etc.

Good luck for whatever you'll settle with. Gears for the artist today no matter what medium music or drawing is insanely cheap, and most of the time really good. Compared to back in the old days..

Hobo

Hah! I feel like I'm in an AA meeting.
Hi! I'm a Hobo and I also have an old computer and phone.

Well, actually it's a laptop, been using a Thinkpad R400 (from 2009) for the past few years, bought it as a cripple, then refurbished it and upgraded with extra ram and ssd. Works fine for all the AGS stuff, lets me browse the web and watch videos. Can also play older (90s) games on it or smaller 2d indies from recent years.

I've been thinking of building a PC that can handle modern games, but not really in a hurry with it, don't have that much free time for playing games anyway, plus my backlog of AGS games that I want to try out is already enormous. Should buy a new monitor though, everyone's talking about 4K these days and I haven't even moved to 1080p yet.

Never owned a smartphone, got a Nokia 515 at the moment, works fine and battery lasts a week. The system info says it's from 2014.

Olleh19

Quote from: Hobo on Wed 28/10/2020 19:56:27
Hah! I feel like I'm in an AA meeting.
Hi! I'm a Hobo and I also have an old computer and phone.

Well, actually it's a laptop, been using a Thinkpad R400 (from 2009) for the past few years, bought it as a cripple, then refurbished it and upgraded with extra ram and ssd. Works fine for all the AGS stuff, lets me browse the web and watch videos. Can also play older (90s) games on it or smaller 2d indies from recent years.

I've been thinking of building a PC that can handle modern games, but not really in a hurry with it, don't have that much free time for playing games anyway, plus my backlog of AGS games that I want to try out is already enormous. Should buy a new monitor though, everyone's talking about 4K these days and I haven't even moved to 1080p yet.

Never owned a smartphone, got a Nokia 515 at the moment, works fine and battery lasts a week. The system info says it's from 2014.

Everybody say hi to Hobo "HIIIIIIII HOBO!" Moderator "Ok, since for how long have you been an old equipment disorder person?"  (nod)

HAHA  (laugh), same here about the monitor! Mine's are sooo old. I even bought one used! So it was probably 3-4years old when i've got it. It's an LG 20-21 size i believe, not very big. From probably 2002? 2003?
And my TV screen (the "newest" monitor if you want to call it that, is 720p! However i do have a Artisul d13 which i love and use everyday. But it's hurting my eyes lately, so i'm thinking maybe i should just use it for what it's meant for (art). (wtf)

I had my Nokia 3110 in 2012, then a girl i hooked up with had so much fun over it, i eventually (thanks girl) got pissed and got a smart phone. S7 now and it's good enough. No need to buy the latest smartphone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk