What is the acceptable length for a demo?

Started by bx83, Sat 24/10/2020 01:34:57

Previous topic - Next topic

bx83

I’m publishing a game soon, and I’d like it to be a success (no way of knowing if it will make $500k or $57.80, but hey).
I’ll be putting out a demo - how long should it be? Should I even bother with one, and just put an enticing video/screenshot package?

It’s being sold on Steam, windows exe (er, when I can be bothered getting a publisher); Gameplay is about 3.5 hours at the quickest, full dialogue.

What’s a good length for a demo? 30min, 15min, 1 hour? Should I leave them hanging or make it obvious when the demo is done? And do I even need one?

Seeking your sage advice ;)

Olleh19

Quote from: bx83 on Sat 24/10/2020 01:34:57
I’m publishing a game soon, and I’d like it to be a success (no way of knowing if it will make $500k or $57.80, but hey).
I’ll be putting out a demo - how long should it be? Should I even bother with one, and just put an enticing video/screenshot package?

It’s being sold on Steam, windows exe (er, when I can be bothered getting a publisher); Gameplay is about 3.5 hours at the quickest, full dialogue.

What’s a good length for a demo? 30min, 15min, 1 hour? Should I leave them hanging or make it obvious when the demo is done? And do I even need one?

Seeking your sage advice ;)

5-10 minutes? Doesn't have to be long, you don't want to spoil too much since it's just a point & click, I'm guessing?!  8-0 (roll) ;). Look at my demo for MAGS. I think that gives a idea of "my style". Imagine that with unlimited colours, finished animations = my end product, fixed bugs, easier puzzle too perhaps, it was too tough for the player, i've learnt my lesson there. Who knows. People get the idea, if you put something out there. Just go for it. However.
I think you should just make some small games first to get noticed by people, that's what i did with my little Mags entry. Now a couple of guys and gals on here know about me, and are interested in what i will put out next, that's a first step. Before putting out my more serious stuff on Steam, i'll probably keep doing that for a while. I mean Social media is like it is today. You have to play a bit "by the unwritten rules". With no following, you ain't going nowhere, these days.

How or why would anybody bother to care about your game if you haven't shown anything before that is impressive? I'm not saying it has to be a demo, but something. I should visit your page now and see if i can see anything, if i can't. Then you need to put something out there, asap!  :)  Forexample Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, sure they perhaps didn't have a giant Social Mediafollowing, but what they did have was names that people foundly remember = sales, or kickstarter money. I hate to sound discouraging. I'm really trying not too. I too want to release my game in the future on Steam, and get all the girls in sexy cosplay outfits screaming for me (roll) (nod). But i'm facing the harsh truth, that i SUCK on socialmedia presence, how to get famous thru it, that is. I did an attempt some weeks ago, resulted in nothing. "This is brilliant, now i will get followers". I got a couple of likes, that was it. (laugh).

Without followers, or people recognising your name/our names = few sales, if any. Mostlikely. Sad truth to face. Unless winning the lottery ofc.  We can hope for that, i suppose  (nod)
Do you have a big Instagram or Facebook Account or any social media with thousands of followers? Or perhaps steam will give you a little spotlight?.
I don't know how Steam works, so i guess i could be wrong, but i doubt it. Life is tough for us unknown game creators. No matter how talented one may be at his or her craft!
Perhaps it is totally possible for us unknowns to upload a game that looks like a Lucasarts or Sierra classic and get a fat paycheck, who knows. Time will tell!

Good luck with your game release, once you do deicide to release it! I'll check it out, for sure, or i can playtest. I wish you all the best of luck. If not, at least the guys here on AGS will play your game most likely. I'm really surprised by how many that have given my shit demo a test drive, i didn't even bother to announce it, cause it was never really finished to any satisfaction for myself, but i had a good laugh at all getting stuck still. (laugh)

heltenjon

A demo is a good idea if it makes the player want more.

QuoteGameplay is about 3.5 hours at the quickest, full dialogue.

What’s a good length for a demo? 30min, 15min, 1 hour?
If total gameplay is 3.5 hours, you don't want to give away a full hour. I'd say 5-15 minutes should cover it.

QuoteShould I leave them hanging or make it obvious when the demo is done?

I think it's really annoying if there's no signal that the demo is done, si I definitely would want it restricted to doing a task, showcasing only a few locations or similar.

arj0n

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 24/10/2020 13:19:28
QuoteI think it's really annoying if there's no signal that the demo is done, si I definitely would want it restricted to doing a task, showcasing only a few locations or similar.
Indeed, the whole idea of a demo is (a) to let the player get familiar with the game, (b) obtain responses from the demo-players after they've played the demo so you can adjust/improve stuff, and (c) let the player know there will be more soon(-ish).
Therefore, as for point (c), is giving no signal that the demo is finished is a bad idea.

Babar

People are talking about "giving away stuff" and "spoiling", but if you're making a demo for an adventure game, I don't think it should be a cut of what your actual game will be- that seems boring, and in that case, I'm not sure a demo is useful. I mean, sure, if you are going to have a year or something between releasing the demo and the full game, it might make sense to allow the player to retread stuff they saw in the demo.

But otherwise, while it is a little bit more effort, I'd suggest using locations and characters and music- all reused assets- and writing style of your final product, but have what actually happens be slightly different. Might even be cool to allow it to function as a prequel or sidestory (that doesn't take away from the main game if it is not played). I remember LucasArts adventure game demos used to do this, and it was always cool playing them, as they were their own little unique mini-adventures.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Sat 24/10/2020 15:42:43
People are talking about "giving away stuff" and "spoiling", but if you're making a demo for an adventure game, I don't think it should be a cut of what your actual game will be- that seems boring, and in that case, I'm not sure a demo is useful. I mean, sure, if you are going to have a year or something between releasing the demo and the full game, it might make sense to allow the player to retread stuff they saw in the demo.

But otherwise, while it is a little bit more effort, I'd suggest using locations and characters and music- all reused assets- and writing style of your final product, but have what actually happens be slightly different. Might even be cool to allow it to function as a prequel or sidestory (that doesn't take away from the main game if it is not played). I remember LucasArts adventure game demos used to do this, and it was always cool playing them, as they were their own little unique mini-adventures.
I agree with Babar. There are a few adventure games from back in the day that did the same thing. I think Space Quest 6 did that. And I remember The Secret of Monkey Island changing up a few things in the demo. It requires a bit of effort, but so long as you only reuse assets, it can give a good idea of what your game will be like without taking too much of your time.

As for length, I'd say around 10 minutes, or under 30 actions. Whichever you achieve first.

Just make sure the full game is better than the demo. I remember playing the demo of Technomage back in the day (it's not an adventure game by the way) and absolutely loving it. Many years later, I finally got the full game and... it was utter crap. The demo was so quick and to the point, and I just wanted to see more of it. But the full game was... so... damn... SLOW!

heltenjon

You could perhaps seek out the demos from the games page and see what the ones with highest ratings do.

Stupot

People keep talking in terms of minutes but I think you just need two or three rooms to show off the artwork, one or two puzzles to sample the gameplay, a bit of dialogue to show off the writing and hopefully a nice bit of music, an animation or two for a bit of flourish and a cliffhanger. Don’t worry how long that takes the player to finish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk