Wendy Whedon 2 - Nature's Rejects

Started by Marion, Tue 27/10/2020 12:34:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Marion

Hi everyone ! The sequel of my first "Wendy Whedon" game is available ! Thank you Paolo for the English translation :)

After her adventure in Mortensen Ranch, the young cow-girl Wendy goes to Lily Town with her horse Abraham, in order to entertain herself at the fair, and find a new job.

But strange events will force her to live again her tragic past she wanted to forget, and face an evil force she couldn't imagine...

- Characters made with "The Sims 4"
- Backgrounds from "Call of Juarez" games
- Instructions and walkthrough included
- French and English

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2480-wendy-whedon-2-nature-s-rejects/

Shadow1000

I spent about 20 minutes playing this game. I think the saving is not working? When I click Save, and then click a slot, it just says "no saved games" and the game does not save. Am I missing something or is this an error?

arj0n

Shadow1000

Hmm...this should be simple! I click Save. There are four slots. I click one...and then what.? Am I missing a step?

I think this is the first puzzle.

arj0n

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 13:48:09
Hmm...this should be simple! I click Save. There are four slots. I click one...and then what.? Am I missing a step?
It is indeed that simple.
Click Sauver, click a slot, done (no saved-confirmation is shown and you're back in the game)
No clue why this goes wrong.
After you've saved the gae, is there a savefile created in the save folder?

Folder:
C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature\agssave.xxx
(where xxx is the clicked/selected save slot)

Shadow1000

Quote from: arj0n on Fri 30/10/2020 14:51:46
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 13:48:09
It is indeed that simple.
Click Sauver, click a slot, done (no saved-confirmation is shown and you're back in the game)
No clue why this goes wrong.
After you've saved the gae, is there a savefile created in the save folder?

Folder:
C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature\agssave.xxx
(where xxx is the clicked/selected save slot)

Holy Cow! I opened that folder and there are 123 saved games over the past year and a half alone! Time to clean up a bit.

There is an agssave.999 but I think that one is created by the system or something and isn't a real save? Is that correct?

arj0n

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 15:05:44
Holy Cow! I opened that folder and there are 123 saved games over the past year and a half alone! Time to clean up a bit.
Yep, it piles up quickly in that folder when you leave it for so long  ;)

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 15:05:44
There is an agssave.999 but I think that one is created by the system or something and isn't a real save? Is that correct?
Correct, that one is always created once you start an AGS game.

So, seems you've got yourself a strange situation there, not being able to save. No clue what is going wrong here...

Marion

Sorry Shadow1000, I don't know either why this doesn't work :(

Shadow1000

Quote from: Marion on Fri 30/10/2020 19:07:43

Hey Marion

So if you can confirm that the save isn't right (I don't know if it's any different in the French version; I assume that the scripting is the same and the text is just loaded dynamically) then I think I'll hold off playing until this is resolved. The game looks like fun but I'm willing to wait!

arj0n

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 19:47:50
Hey Marion
So if you can confirm that the save isn't right (I don't know if it's any different in the French version; I assume that the scripting is the same and the text is just loaded dynamically) then I think I'll hold off playing until this is resolved. The game looks like fun but I'm willing to wait!

The problem is that Marion just stated that she also has no idea why the saving only in your case isn't working as expected.
So for now there is no way to fix this issue.

One last thing you can do is checking if it is reproducible from within a clean situation.
That means having no agssave.999 file, and therefor no savegame folder at all.

Could you try the following:

• Remove/delete the folder Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature in C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\
  • Start the game and once you're at the train perron and you've been given control over the player character (first situation in the game), don't do anything (e.g. walking) but immediately try to save the game.
  • Next, check if the save file agssave.xxx (where xxx is the saveslot you've chosen, between 001 and 004)) has been created in C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature\

Shadow1000

Quote from: arj0n on Fri 30/10/2020 20:28:34

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 19:47:50
Hey Marion

The problem is that Marion just stated that she also has no idea why the saving only in your case isn't working as expected.
So for now there is no way to fix this issue.

One last thing you can do is checking if it is reproducible from within a clean situation.
That means having no agssave.999 file, and therefor no savegame folder at all.

Could you try the following:

• Remove/delete the folder Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature in C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\
  • Start the game and once you're at the train perron and you've been given control over the player character (first situation in the game), don't do anything (e.g. walking) but immediately try to save the game.
  • Next, check if the save file agssave.xxx (where xxx is the saveslot you've chosen, between 001 and 004)) has been created in C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Wendy Whedon - les Rejets de la Nature\

Hey arj0n

Thanks for the advice. I deleted the folder and restarted and saved immediately. The folder came back but only a .999 file.

arj0n

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 30/10/2020 21:23:22
Hey arj0n
Thanks for the advice. I deleted the folder and restarted and saved immediately. The folder came back but only a .999 file.
How odd. Thanx for trying out.
I can only suggest you posting this issue in the >Beginners' Technical Questions board<.
Maybe the tech guys over there might have an idea what's going (wr)on(g) here...

Marion

Ok, I have looked more deeply and I found the problem. It's a conflict with the English translation.
I fix that and I upload the new version quickly :)

arj0n

Shadow1000

Marion

Let me know if everythink is ok now :) Thank you, I hope you will enjoy Wendy's adventures ! ♥

Shadow1000

I am sure I will enjoy this episode. I really liked the first one. I noticed that the animation is a bit different in the sense that the character moves in a "frame by frame" basis rather than in smooth animation. It's an interesting effect.

I will start playing again once I finish all the MAGS entries from the October contest

Marion

Thank you very much ♥
I made this one as a Visual Novel :)

splat44

It's a good game but there a bug:

Spoiler
When we click on skip (passer) button on minigame (dance), all hotspots are not seen (inside older elder room and cannot cannot continue rest of game)
[close]

minigame order:
Spoiler
What is order of button being pressed for dance?
[close]

Marion

I will try to fix that.
There is no order of buttons because it's random :)

Shadow1000

Hmm...If I download this updated and corrected version, will my saved games still work?

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 03/11/2020 21:04:35
Hmm...If I download this updated and corrected version, will my saved games still work?

Probably not. You will have access to them, but they will most likely crash the game. You will have to try to know.

Marion

Just try and let me know, please :)

heltenjon

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 04/11/2020 11:26:30

Probably not. You will have access to them, but they will most likely crash the game. You will have to try to know.

Shadow, perhaps it's obvious, but you can download the corrected version in another folder, then you will have access to the saved games from both versions of the game. You don't have to overwrite your first version of the game. The saved games are not stored in the game folder.

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 04/11/2020 14:16:29

Shadow, perhaps it's obvious, but you can download the corrected version in another folder, then you will have access to the saved games from both versions of the game. You don't have to overwrite your first version of the game. The saved games are not stored in the game folder.

Sorry, I'm not clear on the answer, so I'll reword the question: if I download the revised version, will I have to start from the beginning or can I just pick up from where I left off by restoring?

arj0n

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 04/11/2020 14:38:58
Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 04/11/2020 14:16:29

Sorry, I'm not clear on the answer, so I'll reword the question: if I download the revised version, will I have to start from the beginning or can I just pick up from where I left off by restoring?

The new version will use the same save folder and files (if you haven't delete these manually).
When running the new version of the game you can load the savegame, but there is a small risk that at a certain point the game will break. You'll see.
If the game does break, you'll have to play the game fresh from the beginning. You than better: quit the game (if needed), delete the savegame folder, restart the game.

Shadow1000

OK, thanks for the answer! I am pretty far into the game so I think I'll just keep playing and hopefully I won't hit any bugs. I'd rather not have to start from the beginning.

Marion

Yes, at this point you were almost at the end. If your savegame doesn't work and you don't want to play it again from the beginning, you can watch the end in the Let's Play video, or perhaps I can send you a savegame at the right point in the story :)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Marion on Thu 05/11/2020 10:15:38
Yes, at this point you were almost at the end. If your savegame doesn't work and you don't want to play it again from the beginning, you can watch the end in the Let's Play video, or perhaps I can send you a savegame at the right point in the story :)

Hey, no worries. It seems that the bug was only triggered if you click to skip, but I played through that section and it was really not that difficult. Kind of fun, too. I'll post comments on the game when I have a chance later.

Cheers

Marion

Thank you very much, I am glad you could go through ♥

Shadow1000

Well, I finished last night and here are my comments:

Overall, it's an AMAZING piece of work. What absolutely stands out more than anything else is the story. I realize your goal was to present a graphic and interactive novel rather than an adventure game, but the puzzles actually take the complete experience to another level. As far as the story, you've really generated your own world based on the Western genre, but with races, and in-depth characters and really interesting interactions and personalities.

I realize that the characters, backgrounds and music are taken from different sources, but that makes no difference to me. Everything just worked together beautifully.

As far as the puzzles, while most of them were not too difficult, they are on par with many adventure games. I have to confess to getting stuck once and having to consult the walkthrough. I think that what I liked about the puzzles was actually because instead of being bizarre just for the sake of stumping and challenging the player, they seem to add a dimension of reality to the game. They are of the type that you would actually face in the real world: losing items, not knowing where to acquire things, having to persuade people to gain their trust and so on. I think that it actually brought the game to life in a way.

As I noted, the animation style is interesting in the sense that rather than items moving smoothly, they kind of flashed to different points of the screen. I am not sure if I prefer that style over characters moving, but it did work. The "voice acting" of the characters making noises or saying sound bites rather than reading the script was pretty unusual as well.

There are only two things that I would suggest doing differently:
- Once the save was working for the English edition (thank you for that!), the savegame slots are numbered. Most games either store a picture of where you are at or let you choose a name for the game so you know what is what. I accidentally overwrote my save a number of times (I must have been clicking save instead of load after loading a previous game or something) but this can be improved
Spoiler
There really should be a warning that one scene is not appropriate for minors or players who have a problem with adult scenes. Most players would have no problem but a warning for those who do would be a good idea
[close]

Overall, an excellent immersive and enjoyable experience. Well done, and I look forward to chapter 3!

Marion

Thank you very much, Shadow, that is precisely my goal with my games and I am very happy you enjoyed this one :)
I will try to remember your advices for the next ones.

And, yes, this is my most "mature" game, in terms of violence and nudity. I should warn the players more clearly I think :)

heltenjon

I played this before chapter one in order to be able to play most games from last year before the award nominations. But I can safely say that I'll play the other chapters about Wendy Whedon, as well.

I gather that Marion makes comics/graphic novels? The story and world building is very rich, and this looks and feels like a graphic novel come to life. The distinctive style of  providing stills or part of animations makes it different from most other games here. While I'd classify this as a visual novel of sorts, there're surprisingly many puzzles/tasks given the genre. Hats off for a brilliant story and one of last year's most fully painted characters. Now I'm just hoping to see all your games in English eventually.

Marion

Thank you very much, Heltenjon ! This means a lot to me !  :-[
Yes, I am a comic book artist, and I make games in order to give life to my characters and worlds in a different way than books and drawings :)
I am very happy you enjoyed this game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk