What is the scariest comic book you ever read?

Started by TheFrighter, Fri 30/10/2020 17:09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Hallowe'en is coming, and it get the usual rite: disguising as horror monsters, watching horror tv specials, reading horror comic books,

In my humble opinion, one of the most scary comic book is Tim Vigil's Faust. With his steel claws he could resemble someone else that now I ca'nt remember...
Anyway, is a real horrorful and gory one:

And you? What is the scariest comic book you ever read?

_

Olleh19

As a kid it was traumatic and i've yet to find that particular Comic Book issue. Maybe you can help me. Batman get shoot in the back and is lying on the ground bleeding.
8-0 :~(

Mandle

E.C. Comics. I had a bunch of them as a kid in a stack of normal superhero comics a relative gave me and they fascinated and terrified me. Probably why I love Creepshow so much.

KyriakosCH

I don't read comix. I have read a few stories by Junji Ito, if you can call that a comic :)
Imo he is far better at drawing than coming up with a story, though.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Pogwizd

Any Astérix issue written after René Goscinny's death. Why? Because it was scary to see how bad they were comparing those written by him.

Click'd

The mummy of Rascar Capac in the Tintin comic The Seven Crystal Balls creeped me out. I went past certain pages really fast.

arj0n

Quote from: Click'd on Fri 30/10/2020 22:37:34
The mummy of Rascar Capac in the Tintin comic The Seven Crystal Balls creeped me out. I went past certain pages really fast.

In that case you might find this interesting:

There's a movie about the real mummie where The mummy of Rascar Capac in the Tintin comic The Seven Crystal Balls is based on.

"Between Chile and Brussels, between the desert beaches and the state-of-the-art science laboratories, the film proposes to follow the fascinating scientific research that reveals the true identity of this mythical mummy."

http://www.unfilmalapatte.fr/films.asp?id=43=la-veritable-histoire-de-rascar-capac

Stupot

I read a fair few ‘truly scary stories’ and ‘scary urban legends’ type manga that I find cheaply in convenience stores and second hand book shops. It’s hard to get genuinely ‘scared’ by a comic (especially since my Japanese sucks) but some of those stories are pretty creepy. I’ll upload some pictures when I get home.

@KyriakosCH - Junji Ito is great. I haven’t read a ton of his stuff but I love his style. And yeah the stories are weird as hell but I love that. I requested a Junji Ito book for Xmas but my wife said ‘you don’t need that’. We’ll see.

Cassiebsg

I read a lot and can't remember any one that ever scared me. Shock? yes. Emotion (happy, fun, sad, and so on...)? yes. But scared? No.

If you after shock effect, then I can recommend:

Le Club des prédateurs (available in english also)
by Valérie Mangin (Author) & Steven Dupré (Illustrator)

Spoiler

[close]

Shi (available in english as well)
by Zidrou Homes

Spoiler

[close]

And maybe

Green manor (also available in english)
by Bodart & Vehlmann

Spoiler

[close]

These are just a few I've read recently. (waiting for Shi 4 atm to continue reading that story  ;) )
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Also, I saw this the other day on a Discord channel. Seems relevant to this thread.

‘Terrifying Tales from Kodansha’ Humble Bundle

Click'd

Quote from: arj0n on Fri 30/10/2020 23:03:47
In that case you might find this interesting:
I don't WANT to be creeped out.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 31/10/2020 00:00:58
I read a lot and can't remember any one that ever scared me. Shock? yes. Emotion (happy, fun, sad, and so on...)? yes. But scared? No.

If you after shock effect, then I can recommend:

Le Club des prédateurs (available in english also)
by Valérie Mangin (Author) & Steven Dupré (Illustrator)

Spoiler

[close]

Shi (available in english as well)
by Zidrou Homes

Spoiler

[close]

And maybe

Green manor (also available in english)
by Bodart & Vehlmann

Spoiler

[close]

These are just a few I've read recently. (waiting for Shi 4 atm to continue reading that story  ;) )

Thank you, Cassiebsg! They looks intriguing!

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 31/10/2020 00:17:29
Also, I saw this the other day on a Discord channel. Seems relevant to this thread.

The link don't work?

_

Stupot

Hmm. Works fine for me. Nevertheless try deleting everything after (and including) the question mark. That’s all just unnecessary guff.

cat

The only one that looks interesting to me is Dissolving Classroom by Junji Ito. Maybe I should try to read something from this author. Is it difficult Japanese? I don't like to read translations.

Snarky

One that has stuck with me is Heart of Ice by Kate Craig. It's available on her website.

Another is "The Connecting Thread," a short comic by Adrian Tomine from Optic Nerve #2 (and included in 32 Stories and in Sleepwalk and Other Stories). It's about a lonely woman who starts to receive ever more intrusive messages through the newspaper personals ads.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Olleh19 on Fri 30/10/2020 18:51:05
As a kid it was traumatic and i've yet to find that particular Comic Book issue. Maybe you can help me. Batman get shoot in the back and is lying on the ground bleeding.
8-0 :~(

Do you mean this, Olleh?

Spoiler

[close]

I'm sorry I don't recognize the artist.
Look as Bob McLeod but I'm not sure.

_

Stupot

Quote from: cat on Sun 01/11/2020 09:23:42

The only one that looks interesting to me is Dissolving Classroom by Junji Ito. Maybe I should try to read something from this author. Is it difficult Japanese? I don't like to read translations.

The Japanese was a little difficult for me (because I suck) but I tend not to worry too much about that. Just process what I can and only look up a word if it keeps coming up and seems important. I don't read much manga but when I do, I prefer stuff with furigana, so at least there's a chance I can understand the word even if I can't read the kanji.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Pogwizd on Fri 30/10/2020 22:07:05
Any Astérix issue written after René Goscinny's death. Why? Because it was scary to see how bad they were comparing those written by him.
I understand what you mean, but don't be so hard with the good Albert Uderzo. He tried his best.

_

milkanannan

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 30/10/2020 21:37:03
I don't read comix. I have read a few stories by Junji Ito, if you can call that a comic :)
Imo he is far better at drawing than coming up with a story, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk