HAPPY HALLOWEEN! (Including exclusive "scary" video)

Started by Mandle, Sat 31/10/2020 10:43:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Here's a video we filmed for the kids to watch at the start of our Halloween events today.

The setup was that "Patrick" was late for the party and we needed the letters to spell out "HALLOWEEN" before the party could start so he was contacted on the "Patrick-CAM".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ys4CMhv-XY

I play the "monster".

READ AFTER WATCHING:
Spoiler
Patrick and I then hid before each party and matched our appearances in the main party room in time with the video footage at the end as if if was a live-feed. Patrick starts putting the letters up on the whiteboard while ignoring the kids screaming at him that a monster is coming! The final punchline is that the monster then crashes into the room after rattling the door for a bit and then roars, scaring the kids, and then says "YOU FORGET "L"!" and hands Patrick the axe, which he turns upside-down and sticks to the whiteboard in place of the missing "L", and the party can begin!
[close]

Jack

The origins of these rituals are interesting, which parts are kept, and which are forgotten. What it turns into, and what it turns the world into.

Quote from: WikipediaSamhain is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and beginning of winter or "darker half" of the year. It is held on 1 November, but with celebrations beginning on the evening of 31 October, as the Celtic day began and ended at sunset. This is about halfway between the autumn equinox and winter solstice. It is one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals, along with Imbolc, Beltaine and Lughnasa. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man (where it is called 'Sauin'). A similar festival was held by the Brittonic Celts, called Calan Gaeaf in Wales, Kalan Gwav in Cornwall, and Kalan Goañv in Brittany.
---
Traditionally, Samhain was a time to take stock of the herds and food supplies. Cattle were brought down to the winter pastures after six months in the higher summer pastures. It was also the time to choose which animals would be slaughtered. This custom is still observed by many who farm and raise livestock.
---
Samhain was seen as a liminal time, when the boundary between this world and the Otherworld could more easily be crossed.

cat

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Sun 01/11/2020 09:29:45
Cool idea and nice camera work!

Thanks! Many shots were based on the original storyboard I drew and then many were adapted while filming by the three of us depending on what areas we came across. It was a good collaboration with no arguments and just a great time together making the film!

Ian was the genius behind the final edit, and there are some more versions coming showing the actual ending inside the classroom. I hope I can also include some here. 

Cassiebsg

Cool, it's awesome. I specially like the special guest(the spider  (laugh))!  ;)
Great idea, and am sure the kid got some scary moment there with the door at the end.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

lorenzo

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 31/10/2020 10:43:30
Spoiler
Patrick and I then hid before each party and matched our appearances in the main party room in time with the video footage at the end as if if was a live-feed. Patrick starts putting the letters up on the whiteboard while ignoring the kids screaming at him that a monster is coming! The final punchline is that the monster then crashes into the room after rattling the door for a bit and then roars, scaring the kids, and then says "YOU FORGET "L"!" and hands Patrick the axe, which he turns upside-down and sticks to the whiteboard in place of the missing "L", and the party can begin!
[close]
Haha, this is genius! I would love to see the kids' reaction. Great work!

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 01/11/2020 10:08:16
Cool, it's awesome. I specially like the special guest(the spider  (laugh))!  ;)
Great idea, and am sure the kid got some scary moment there with the door at the end.  (laugh)

Shooting through the spiderweb was my idea. The cameraman, Ian, is terrified of spiders but did it anyway. Patrick, the star of the video, and an American, made fun of Ian, an Australian, for being afraid of spiders:

"You come from Australia! How can you be afraid of spiders?!"

To which I replied:

"Australians are still alive BECAUSE we're afraid of spiders!"

(Well, "have a healthy respect for spiders", is probably more accurate, but he got the point.)

The spider later complained that he never signed off on being a part of our production. The matter is still tangled up in a web of legalities.

And yeah, some of the party's kids were literally screaming at Patrick that there was a monster coming while Patrick was pretending not to be listening and just focused on putting the letters up on the whiteboard.

Then I heard one boy, in the middle of the cacophony, say "Patrick, you forgot "L"." in a totally deadpan voice, and I had to stifle my laugh from the other side of the door.

Stupot

That’s a cool idea. Must’ve been really fun for the kids.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk