MAGS November "Rain and Snow" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2020 02:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS November?

Ice Station Zero by slasher
0 (0%)
Rain & Snow - The Bouncer by Intense Degree
1 (8.3%)
The Cabin by TheBitPriest
7 (58.3%)
Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher by PlayPretend
2 (16.7%)
The Cradle by Creamy, Kastchey and Julia
0 (0%)
The Cat Case by Racoon
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Thu 24/12/2020 06:21:40

heltenjon

Andreas, [offtopic]nice to see your music taste is good.[/offtopic] I don't agree that you "failed" in MAGS, however. You went a bit over the deadline, but delivered a nice game, and you started late, so it was done within a month of time. But to each their own. Just keep reading the MAGS threads, and suddenly the inspiration will hit you like a ton of Telefunken U-47s.

VW, you're great with art and animation. You seem to like the feel of jams and contests, perhaps not because of the competition so much as being given a theme and trying to make something out of that. For us lurkers it's very interesting to see different takes on a subject. That sense of a common goal can be very motivating in itself. Perhaps that is why you seldom release expanded versions of MAGS entries later on, despite having plans for further improvements? It may not be too inspiring to work on by oneself. If that is the case, you're in good company! But in a sense it's unfortunate that you don't get to show the full vision you had for the game(s), because more often than not, there is something there. I hope you stick around.

AndreasBlack

Heltenjon, Ofc! I've sidetracked pretty heavily now tho, and need to give that up  :-\.  It's fun sure, but it takes so much time and to get it right, is even harder then the Mags entry! Since it's a genre AGS wasn't intended to be used for (Fighting game). And yes, music taste, there's nothing wrong with. (laugh) For those who don't know HeltenJon catched up "who i am" (or at least sounds like it). Probably cause we've emailed before, but i'm "Olleh19". I've just changed to a more appropriate user name (my other social media's have similar names like AndreasBlack or Andreas J Black, just for laughs at our (Swedish iconic guitar-man Yngwie J Malmsteen. Notice i didn't say God.

I think God is something that needs to be worked on, and still deliver, that man is much more show now then actual good guitar playing, unfortunaly. Like Zlatan forexample. He is still a soccer (or football) god, imho. But anyway enough of the Off-topic. Looking forward to your games, guys. Especially Slashers, i hope Slasher got some inspiration from my entry in October with those lovely sounds while spelling out that intro. It really get's you in the Ice station mood(!).
Maybe your entries will inspire me to get on the right foot again with P&C game creation (laugh) 

Slasher

Ice Station Zero

Part one is almost completed....

Part two is where everything changes and adds a bizarre twist to the story...

Uses a new variation of my Slasher Template...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 10/11/2020 06:41:00
Game Intro in production...

More to come.....

Oh MAN!! Slasher, you've outdone yourself. Awesome theme and story teaser, but the graphics and especially the characters really top what you've done till now. I can't wait to see the release!

Slasher

Screenshot of the Fuel Depot...

heltenjon

I'm getting The Thingvibes here. Which is a good thing.

Slasher

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 11/11/2020 11:53:55
Remember, I was here first  (laugh)

heltenjon

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 11/11/2020 12:57:24
Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 11/11/2020 11:53:55
Remember, I was here first  (laugh)
I have a sneaking suspicion about something in your game...won't say until later just in case I'm right.  8-)

Slasher

Ice Station Zero

Part two is well underway... Seems to be going OK...

heltenjon: Your suspicions may be correct.... in some part  (laugh)

The Great Underground Empire

It's gonna be tight, but I think I can slap this all together in time.

It's called Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher.

You are Roger Daniels, podcast host and friendly post-apocalyptic survivor. Your best friend is Beth - a psychotic, bomb-slinging toy bear brought to life.

Together you adventure through New Atrocity, a ruined zone of mutants and robots all out to mug, screw and kill you and anybody else in their way, ruled over by a mad despot called the Tyrant.

This time, the Tyrant has gone too far - jealous that a little girl is having a birthday party, he's unleashed a Weather Machine to storm out anyone who rains on his parade.

It's up to you and Beth to destroy the Machine and let the sun shine again.

I've been tinkering with the NMFA universe all year, as a coping mechanism for the pandemic. I just finished a template, and I think I'll try to set all future MAGS in it. It's a fun place to play.

(And in the spirit of apocalyptic buccaneering, all art is stolen and heavily modified.)

Mandle

Working on something. No guarantees.

Whew, whole intro, first five rooms playable, gaining speed!  Still gonna be tight but I'm working hard, updated my screenshots above!

Mandle

I made astounding progress (to me at least) today. I might even have screenshots to show off tomorrow.

Btw, if anyone would like a simple full screen rain effect for their game - I've got After Effects, and worked out how to use its Rainfall effect to export a 24 frame PNG sequence with transparent alpha channels.

So if anyone wants, I can make one custom sized to your game.  I can also set it to blow at different slanted angles.

Then you assign the frames to a view, create a full-screen, non-clickable object in any room you want rain, set the object's view and start it NoBlock animating.

PM me if you're interested!

(One frame shown below.)

Slasher

We have some great stuff going down   8-)

Keep up the good work guys  (nod)

Slasher

Ice Station Zero
My entry is complete... Now fully testing...

Mandle

Hmmmm, seems I can no longer screen-capture AGS games running in fullscreen. I do the usual Function-PrintScreen keys but it only captures the desktop behind the running game image. Very annoying. Anyone know of a solution?

Meh, I just took a screenshot in windowed mode where we see our main character, the red stick-figure, waking up in their cabin in the woods to find themselves surrounded by an incoming horde of green zombies:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/CWe7zJE.png[/imgzoom]

Each level is procedurally-generated and "Cabin In The Woods" is the first. It looks quite different every time.

You start out here, though, and there will be other characters you can meet and recruit along the way, and several character-classes hopefully.

heltenjon

Mandle, I guess when the character dies, he goes to Dagger Hell?  (laugh) I probably need to set off a week to play this exclusively , if that one is something to go by. :-D

Mandle

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 17/11/2020 08:44:57
Mandle, I guess when the character dies, he goes to Dagger Hell?  (laugh) I probably need to set off a week to play this exclusively , if that one is something to go by. :-D

Hahaha! Yeah I am going a bit with the simplistic graphics this time as well to make sure I can get the gameplay done, but it is not a 5-hour rush-job like DaggerHell was.

More of an experience like the better and earlier Ultima games I hope.

Also, this one is turn-based, so no random daggers flying out of nowhere when you least expected it!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 17/11/2020 08:17:40
Hmmmm, seems I can no longer screen-capture AGS games running in fullscreen. I do the usual Function-PrintScreen keys but it only captures the desktop behind the running game image. Very annoying. Anyone know of a solution?

Meh, I just took a screenshot in windowed mode where we see our main character, the red stick-figure, waking up in their cabin in the woods to find themselves surrounded by an incoming horde of green zombies:

Each level is procedurally-generated and "Cabin In The Woods" is the first. It looks quite different every time.

You start out here, though, and there will be other characters you can meet and recruit along the way, and several character-classes hopefully.

Looks like so many games circa early 80s! One suggestion: to some players, there are 2 identical figures in the cabin. Maybe use something other than colour to distinguish the player from the enemy? This won't be a problem to many players but it will be for some...it's up to you if you want to alter the game to accommodate the minority.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk