MAGS November "Rain and Snow" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2020 02:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS November?

Ice Station Zero by slasher
0 (0%)
Rain & Snow - The Bouncer by Intense Degree
1 (8.3%)
The Cabin by TheBitPriest
7 (58.3%)
Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher by PlayPretend
2 (16.7%)
The Cradle by Creamy, Kastchey and Julia
0 (0%)
The Cat Case by Racoon
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Thu 24/12/2020 06:21:40

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 17/11/2020 15:47:36
One suggestion: to some players, there are 2 identical figures in the cabin. Maybe use something other than colour to distinguish the player from the enemy? This won't be a problem to many players but it will be for some...it's up to you if you want to alter the game to accommodate the minority.

I will probably be changing the zombie graphic a bit, yes, and also there will be a frame around the player character showing which one is currently being controlled to make it more obvious.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 17/11/2020 21:23:51
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 17/11/2020 15:47:36
One suggestion: to some players, there are 2 identical figures in the cabin. Maybe use something other than colour to distinguish the player from the enemy? This won't be a problem to many players but it will be for some...it's up to you if you want to alter the game to accommodate the minority.

I will probably be changing the zombie graphic a bit, yes, and also there will be a frame around the player character showing which one is currently being controlled to make it more obvious.

Awesome! There have been some great MAGS entries lately so I'm happy to see you throw your hat in the ring!

Slasher

It's really hotting up in here  (laugh)

New Screenshots:
More than one way to skin a cat as they say..

Your leading husky Shadow has frozen solid:

Slasher

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2489-ice-station-zero/

Edit 20/11/20: Base hut and few other bits now revised.

Ice Station Zero: an outpost at the north pole for US military to escape attack from enemy forces.
For five days the facility has been hit by snow blizzards of minus 60 degrees and gales up to 40 miles an hour.
Things seemed fine until the main generator failed and you are now on aux power, but that won't last long.
The men are desperate. You won't survive for long on aux power and the main generator must be fixed.
What's more, strange things have been happening: equipment is being taken and several of the teams husky's have gone missing!
The last outpost team there vanished without a trace.

The race against the cold snow to repair the main generator begins. You soon learn that the radio aerial has gone down and needs fixing so that Central Control can be informed of your situation.

During the course of the repairs a fellow team member is seen rushing into a snow cave. Something sinister may be happening and you intend to find out what it is!

Game includes a body Warmth meter...

Left Click: Interact 
Right Click: Look
Blue X to disable active inventory

If anyone finds any bugs/issues please let me know and I will fix.. Thank you..

The Great Underground Empire

Mandle: Love the graphic style, takes me back to vintage gaming. :) Anyone remember ZZT?

With 12 days left, this is gonna be a scraper. I'm coding for hours every day at work, slapping together art at home, about 9 rooms left to go, but may have shot too big. I'll keep at it and fingers crossed!

Either way December's going to be a break for me...want to produce the voice packs for Lord of Light and NMFA: Stormpuncher. Maybe finish the NMFA game I tried to make back in April.

Anyways, good luck all!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 19/11/2020 02:39:05

Ice Station Zero: an outpost at the north pole for US military to escape attack from enemy forces.
For five days the facility has been hit by snow blizzards of minus 60 degrees and gales up to 40 miles an hour.
Things seemed fine until the main generator failed and you are now on aux power, but that won't last long.
The men are desperate. You won't survive for long on aux power and the main generator must be fixed.
What's more, strange things have been happening: equipment is being taken and several of the teams husky's have gone missing!
The last outpost team there vanished without a trace.

The race against the cold snow to repair the main generator begins. You soon learn that the radio aerial has gone down and needs fixing so that Central Control can be informed of your situation.

During the course of the repairs a fellow team member is seen rushing into a snow cave. Something sinister may be happening and you intend to find out what it is!

Game includes a body Warmth meter...

Left Click: Interact 
Right Click: Look
Blue X to disable active inventory

If anyone finds any bugs/issues please let me know and I will fix.. Thank you..

I just finished playing, and it was AMAZING!

Spoiler
I have to confess to getting stumped in 2 of the challenges near the end but I did solve them with some persistance.
[close]
As I said when I saw the preview, the graphics are a different level than previous game. Really well done, Slasher!

Mandle

Managed to make the player character(s) walk around today without passing through walls, trees, or water, and also develop their Character Stat Sheets a bit.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/11/2020 10:01:16
Managed to make the player character(s) walk around today without passing through walls, trees, or water, and also develop their Character Stat Sheets a bit.
I hope you have enough time to serve up this delicate delight ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 19/11/2020 13:37:48
I hope you have enough time to serve up this delicate delight ;)

Cheers. I'm pretty confident that I should be able to get at least a first few rudimentary levels done.

Slasher

Base hut being revised.

Edit: Base hut and few other bits now revised.

Intense Degree

Hey all. I have something in the works which I think will see the light of day by the end of the month...

Basically it's a rip off of I mean entirely unconnected to PanicBarn's 'Not tonight' which is itself entirely unconnected to the more famous 'Papers, Please'.  :X

Got some really basic sprites & background together and have coded about half the coding framework so far so hopefully looking good?

Mandle

Jeez, coding a game that does not do any normal AGS stuff is hard, but, for me, a ton of fun and learning.

My game has no walkable areas, no objects, no characters, no inventory, no interactables, in the usual sense.

I gotta hard-code everything into the game, which just takes me back to when I was a kid hammering away at my C64 to produce what I could.

Little bit wiser now for game design than when I was back then. But not that better. I hope my C64-self from back then would have liked to have played this game.

TheBitPriest

Hey all!

I'm pretty well into a game, and I might be able to pull it off by the 30th.

I started it on the 15th. So, I won't feel too bad if I don't have it finished by next Monday.  :-D

It's ambitious, a little bonkers in scope, but mostly an experiment. I currently have 55 rooms with over 40 more to go, but that's mostly because I'm trying a few new techniques. The gameplay, while not completely foreign to AGS, is not typical of the classic Sierra/LucasArts game. It's still retro, but it's a first-person adventure. I won't say that it's like Mist, The 7th Guest or some other similar game. They're better. However, my plan is to approximate one of those games.

I'm cutting corners, but if I can effectively convey the story before the end of next weekend, I'll submit it in "The 11th Hour" ( ;) see what I did there?  you classic adventure enthusiasts...   (laugh))

Slasher

I love you guys pushing stuff...  I'm excited and wait patiently  (nod)

The Great Underground Empire

Finishing the last room BG art today, then plugging in code like crazy!  I've been writing in a code editor app at work, then copy pasting at home. :)

Also worked out yesterday how to plug shortcuts for all my game-making folders and programs into Startup, so on boot everything I need just pops up.  This is the closest I will ever get to being Tony Stark.  :-D

Mandle

TheBitPriest

"I  think I can... I think I can..."

Working hard.

Remember, this is very experimental. I'm cobbling things together and racing for the finish line.

:fingers crossed:

Stupot

Final furlong guys. Now would be a great time to start putting your finishing touches on and testing for bugs.

Cassiebsg

How about starting a game now, is it a good time?  (laugh)
I got an idea for a short one, but not sure I can reach the finish line...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 26/11/2020 17:02:10
How about starting a game now, is it a good time?  (laugh)
I got an idea for a short one, but not sure I can reach the finish line...
We all know you need at least 20 minutes to make a game.. It's going to be tough going Cassiebsg  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk