MAGS November "Rain and Snow" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2020 02:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS November?

Ice Station Zero by slasher
0 (0%)
Rain & Snow - The Bouncer by Intense Degree
1 (8.3%)
The Cabin by TheBitPriest
7 (58.3%)
Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher by PlayPretend
2 (16.7%)
The Cradle by Creamy, Kastchey and Julia
0 (0%)
The Cat Case by Racoon
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Thu 24/12/2020 06:21:40

The Great Underground Empire

WHEW.  Playable version DONE.

I'm going to spend tomorrow plugging in sound and music, then release.  See you shortly!

Cassiebsg

Oh well, haven't written a single line of code, might as well jump to december mags and hope I can get something done.  (roll)
Good luck everybody in finishing your games.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Intense Degree

OK, I think I've done about as much bug squashing as I'm going to manage. Thanks for the extension, it has many less bugs now and a 'tutorial' type thing that seems to work OK.

Is it bug free? Well put it this way, I will guarantee a bug free playing experience if you refrain from performing any action which causes a bug when you play it!  ;)

Rain & Snow - The Bouncer

Based on everyone's favourite pub admit-em-up 'Not Tonight' you must man the door at one inexplicably popular and really badly drawn pub. I think they're so busy because of the absolute tunes being played every night, but you'll have to make up your own mind about that.

Can you sort the underage from the of-age, the fake photos, unstamped ID's and chancers of this world without issued tickets? Are they even on the guestlist? In the immortal words of the bouncer if "your name's not down, you're not coming in!".

GET IT HERE http://www.mediafire.com/file/j95jv79dbuswcxs/Rain_%2526_Snow_-_The_Bouncer_1.11.7z/file

In all seriousness, if you have time to play do let me know of any bugs. Also please do tell me if it's too easy or hard. I think I have a balance of sorts struck but... well...

Looking forward to playing the other entries.  :)

selmiak

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 17/11/2020 08:17:40
Hmmmm, seems I can no longer screen-capture AGS games running in fullscreen. I do the usual Function-PrintScreen keys but it only captures the desktop behind the running game image. Very annoying. Anyone know of a solution?

Meh, I just took a screenshot in windowed mode where we see our main character, the red stick-figure, waking up in their cabin in the woods to find themselves surrounded by an incoming horde of green zombies:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/CWe7zJE.png[/imgzoom]

Each level is procedurally-generated and "Cabin In The Woods" is the first. It looks quite different every time.

You start out here, though, and there will be other characters you can meet and recruit along the way, and several character-classes hopefully.

Did you release that game or only screenshot it?

Shadow1000

Quote from: Intense Degree on Wed 02/12/2020 19:37:54
OK, I think I've done about as much bug squashing as I'm going to manage. Thanks for the extension, it has many less bugs now and a 'tutorial' type thing that seems to work OK.

Is it bug free? Well put it this way, I will guarantee a bug free playing experience if you refrain from performing any action which causes a bug when you play it!  ;)

Rain & Snow - The Bouncer

Based on everyone's favourite pub admit-em-up 'Not Tonight' you must man the door at one inexplicably popular and really badly drawn pub. I think they're so busy because of the absolute tunes being played every night, but you'll have to make up your own mind about that.

Can you sort the underage from the of-age, the fake photos, unstamped ID's and chancers of this world without issued tickets? Are they even on the guestlist? In the immortal words of the bouncer if "your name's not down, you're not coming in!".

GET IT HERE http://www.mediafire.com/file/zgbempkpdf96gh4/Rain_%2526_Snow_-_The_Bouncer.7z/file

In all seriousness, if you have time to play do let me know of any bugs. Also please do tell me if it's too easy or hard. I think I have a balance of sorts struck but... well...

Looking forward to playing the other entries.  :)

I got halfway through level 2 and it crashed. Something about a character not being in a room? I think I get the general idea of the game. How many levels are there?

TheBitPriest

Why can't you remember a time before the snow started falling?

The Cabin is a short, first person, point and click, mystery adventure. Why is this cabin here? Better yet, why are you here? Nothing seems right. Your memory is impaired. What's going on?

The Cabin is a proof-of-concept game created in 15 days for the November 2020 AGS monthly adventure game challenge.

Get it here:

AGS Games page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2494-the-cabin/
Itch.io: https://thebitpriest.itch.io/the-cabin

Instructions:

• Left click to interact and Right click to examine (examine all the things!)
  • W, A, D or Arrow Keys to move (forward, left and right)
  • F5 to save
  • F9 to restore
  • Control-Q to quit
First hint: find the journal and satchel before anything else.

(MAGS Notes: I ran out of time and energy to do sound effects - only finished the music.  There are a few minor issues - things that don't work as well as I'd like, puzzles that aren't 100% smooth.  But it should be playable, and I hope you enjoy it.  :-D )

Welcome to Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher.

Direct Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/q9w92wxvgb97xoq/NMFA_Stormpuncher.rar/file

AGS Game Page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2495-not-my-first-apocalypse-stormpuncher/

You are Roger Daniels, podcast host and friendly post-apocalyptic survivor. Your best friend is Beth - a psychotic, bomb-slinging toy bear brought to life.

Together you adventure through New Atrocity, a ruined zone of mutants and robots all out to mug, screw and kill you and anybody else in their way, ruled over by a mad despot called the Tyrant.

This time, the Tyrant has gone too far - jealous that a little girl is having a birthday party, he's unleashed a Weather Machine to storm out anyone who rains on his parade.

It's up to you and Beth to destroy the Machine and let the sun shine again.

I've been tinkering with the NMFA universe all year, as a coping mechanism for the pandemic. I just finished a template, and I think I'll try to set all future MAGS in it. It's a fun place to play.

(And in the spirit of apocalyptic buccaneering, all art is stolen and heavily modified.)

CONTENT WARNING

This game is not for players under 18.  It contains violent humor, sexual humor, things exploding, tentacles, and robots with feelings.

GAMEPLAY

Right-click to scroll through Walk, Look, Interact, Talk, and Use Inventory.  Left-click to activate selected cursor.

Move mouse to top of screen for Iconbar - contains Cab icon for overmap travel.

Cell Phone in Inventory - Look at, or Use on Roger, to activate.

Enjoy, because I'm alive, and you're alive!

heltenjon

I tried it briefly yesterday and didn't encounter any bugs. I don't think it's too easy, at least. I had to have multiple goes at level one and two and didn't beat level three in my first attempts before I had to call it a day.

The difficulty is influenced by one random event, and that is how long it takes before the patrons start to line up. If it takes 30 minutes + of in-game time before the first guest approaches, it will be a lot harder than if someone walks straight into the queue.

I repeatedly almost beat a level, which probably means the difficulty level is spot on. (And I think I know why I didn't beat the levels, too.) I'll come back with extended comments later.

Intense Degree

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 03/12/2020 02:48:48I got halfway through level 2 and it crashed. Something about a character not being in a room? I think I get the general idea of the game. How many levels are there?

Ah rats, I haven't seen one of those for days and thought I had ironed that problem out after I increased the NPC number to 60. >:( I'll have another look.

And 6 levels by the way. It's pretty easy to get the idea but it does get a lot more involved as you go through the levels. :)

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 03/12/2020 07:56:52
The difficulty is influenced by one random event, and that is how long it takes before the patrons start to line up. If it takes 30 minutes + of in-game time before the first guest approaches, it will be a lot harder than if someone walks straight into the queue.

Hmmm, the first character comes in after 3 minutes of in game time (3 seconds) and after that it's random, I think 2 - 5 seconds or something. Obviously if they come in from the right it takes longer to get into the queue so if you're unlucky enough to get the first few characters in from the right I suppose that could take a while. I'll have a think about ensuring you get one from the left quickly.

I found it quite hard to pitch the difficulty because obviously I have played it lots in repeatedly testing things, so maybe I'm better at it than I think! I was hoping the first level was fairly easy but perhaps not...

Mandle

I haven't been feeling well the last 2 days (of course) so it's looking unlikely that I will finish mine. I will continue working on it however, but there's just not enough there to call it a "game" at the current time.

I am pleased though that my extension request did allow a lot of other people to finish there own so I don't feel too guilty. I will also be playing the other entries and rating/commenting on them as promised.

(If I wake up early tomorrow morning with a burst of new energy though, who knows!)

Intense Degree

@TheBitPriest - only just downloaded it, but just to say I saw the message about needing to be run windowed and notice that you've moved the winsetup file so it can't easily be changed. Unfortunately it defaulted to fullscreen for me so I had to manually move the winsetup file back and tick that 'windowed' box. Not that much hassle, but assume you meant to set it to run windowed by default before moving the setup file.

Will play and proper comments later.

@Mandle - hope you're feeling better soon and the game gets to see the light of day at some point.  :)

Mandle

Quote from: Intense Degree on Thu 03/12/2020 10:24:18
@Mandle - hope you're feeling better soon and the game gets to see the light of day at some point.  :)

Cheers! And, yeah, I can imagine a much better outcome for this one if I work on it a little here and there when the ideas come, rather than release a boring generic game and get discouraged from continuing on it.

Hope you feel better Mandle! I for one am about to sleep for a week straight.  :-D

Sinitrena

Ah, I got the same bug as Shadow. It crashed twice (Edit: three times - I give up for now) for me in the second night (both times when I clicked the admit button, if this helps). Good to know you're already looking into this.

As for difficulty: The people are completely random, aren't they? I had one runthrough of the first day where I admitted three people and after that every single person for the rest of the night was someone I had to send away (at least 20 people), making it impossible to win.

Interesting game, though. I would like to get past the second night.  ;)

TheBitPriest

Quote from: Intense Degree on Thu 03/12/2020 10:24:18
@TheBitPriest - only just downloaded it, but just to say I saw the message about needing to be run windowed and notice that you've moved the winsetup file so it can't easily be changed. Unfortunately it defaulted to fullscreen for me so I had to manually move the winsetup file back and tick that 'windowed' box. Not that much hassle, but assume you meant to set it to run windowed by default before moving the setup file.

:-[ Sorry about that... I thought we straightened out the settings.

Sadly, the game's videos are touchy, and I didn't have enough time to work out a better solution. 

There is a the_cabin_1_0_2.zip. This is the one that you want.

I moved winsetup.exe, because the very first thing one of my play-testers did was open it and change it to fullscreen, causing the game to freeze.  :-\  I put it back. Just know that the game will not work in fullscreen mode.

Intense Degree

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 03/12/2020 12:22:05
Ah, I got the same bug as Shadow. It crashed twice (Edit: three times - I give up for now) for me in the second night (both times when I clicked the admit button, if this helps). Good to know you're already looking into this.

Ah. Haven't had time to look properly yet, but will get the fine tooth comb out later on. Thanks for tracking it to an admission. :)

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 03/12/2020 12:22:05As for difficulty: The people are completely random, aren't they? I had one runthrough of the first day where I admitted three people and after that every single person for the rest of the night was someone I had to send away (at least 20 people), making it impossible to win.

Interesting game, though. I would like to get past the second night.  ;)

Yeah, they are random. It should be a 1 in 3 chance of a refusal for the first few levels so you must have been really unlucky. Lost count of the number of times I have played through and never had it that bad! I will do some re-jigging for v1.1 once i've hunted down that bug.

Quote from: TheBitPriest on Thu 03/12/2020 12:37:07
:-[ Sorry about that... I thought we straightened out the settings.

Hey, no need to apologise, easily done and easily fixed.  :)

Sinitrena

Quote from: Intense Degree on Thu 03/12/2020 14:30:34
Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 03/12/2020 12:22:05As for difficulty: The people are completely random, aren't they? I had one runthrough of the first day where I admitted three people and after that every single person for the rest of the night was someone I had to send away (at least 20 people), making it impossible to win.

Yeah, they are random. It should be a 1 in 3 chance of a refusal for the first few levels so you must have been really unlucky. Lost count of the number of times I have played through and never had it that bad! I will do some re-jigging for v1.1 once i've hunted down that bug.

I always get unlucky in these kinds of games!  (laugh)

May I suggest a sanity check? Keep track of the last five or so people and if all were either supposed to be rejected or supposed to be admitted, then force the next to be the other possibility, ignoring the normal RNG.

TheBitPriest

Another way is to create a deck and shuffle it. That gives you a little more control on the probability.

Kastchey

Just doing some final testing... I'll upload our entry before midnight UK time.
(Promise!)

Kastchey

Phew... It's uploaded.

The Cradle

You are nobody.
It has given you a task.
The task is your purpose of existence.
Fulfill the task, or die miserably.

The game is more of a prototype, but it is playable through to the ending.
It was meant to be a mix of a survival and alchemy subgenres.

Main idea for the story and core mechanics, coding and supplementary graphics by Creamy, puzzles and the amazing background art by Julia, cheerleading supplementary coding and graphics by Kastchey.

Edit: I have done a very minor update - I realized that in a hurry, I forgot to disable a debug mode that cycles through the game stages super fast making it unplayable.
I've restored the normal game speed, no other changes have been made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk