MAGS November "Rain and Snow" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2020 02:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS November?

Ice Station Zero by slasher
0 (0%)
Rain & Snow - The Bouncer by Intense Degree
1 (8.3%)
The Cabin by TheBitPriest
7 (58.3%)
Not My First Apocalypse: Stormpuncher by PlayPretend
2 (16.7%)
The Cradle by Creamy, Kastchey and Julia
0 (0%)
The Cat Case by Racoon
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Thu 24/12/2020 06:21:40

Stupot

Some cracking looking entries. Thanks everyone. I’ll draw up the voting poll some time in the next few hours.

Shadow1000

Quote from: TheBitPriest on Thu 03/12/2020 04:21:07
Why can't you remember a time before the snow started falling?

The Cabin is a short, first person, point and click, mystery adventure. Why is this cabin here? Better yet, why are you here? Nothing seems right. Your memory is impaired. What's going on?

Awesome game! I played for quite a long time and it's incredible how much detail there is in descriptions when right clicking. Graphics are incredibly immersive and the idea is intriguing. Hopefully you'll be able to get it working in fullscreen!

I probably played for about 40 minutes mostly looking for the satchel to no avail. I stopped when the game crashed when I right clicked the stepstool.

Mandle

I'm actually really glad that I didn't get mine out on time because I had an epiphany on my way home from work this morning, after the deadline, which will make my game work in a much better way and actually be entertaining.

TheBitPriest

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 04/12/2020 02:57:41

The Cabin is a short, first person, point and click, mystery adventure. Why is this cabin here? Better yet, why are you here? Nothing seems right. Your memory is impaired. What's going on?

Awesome game! I played for quite a long time and it's incredible how much detail there is in descriptions when right clicking. I found the journal but have no clue where the satchel would be.
Spoiler
I saw all the hints about it falling off the hook when it broke but it's not anywhere obvious in that area.
[close]

I probably played for about 40 minutes mostly looking for the satchel to no avail. I stopped when the game crashed when I right clicked the stepstool.

Thank you for the positive comments!

On the one hand I wish the bug you found hadn't existed (I guess none of us tried that), but on the other hand, I am glad that you mentioned it. It's been patched (the_cabin_1_0_3.zip)

"Finding the inventory" was a part of the experimental nature of the game. A risky idea, to be sure. One of the things that bothers me when I play point and click adventures is that I tend to just quickly fill my inventory in the first few minutes ("click and grab"). I thought, "What if finding the 'inventory' was the first challenge?" It may be too fiddly of an idea.

Parts of the the first puzzle are a bit fiddly, but there is more to the game than first meets the eye. I heard squeals of delight from some of our play testers, and I hope others will endure.

A comment on what you mentioned in your spoiler tag:
Spoiler

You were on the trail of finding the satchel by looking at the broken hook. The satchel was too heavy, and it broke the hook. The player mentions that there aren't that many other places to store things in the cabin. The satchel is in one of those locations.
[close]

The location of the satchel:
Spoiler

The satchel is under the bed. You can look under the bed from the closeup view of the larger chair.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: TheBitPriest on Fri 04/12/2020 04:23:25
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 04/12/2020 02:57:41

Awesome game! I played for quite a long time and it's incredible how much detail there is in descriptions when right clicking. I found the journal but have no clue where the satchel would be.
Spoiler
I saw all the hints about it falling off the hook when it broke but it's not anywhere obvious in that area.
[close]

Thank you for the positive comments!

On the one hand I wish the bug you found hadn't existed (I guess none of us tried that), but on the other hand, I am glad that you mentioned it. It's been patched (the_cabin_1_0_3.zip)

"Finding the inventory" was a part of the experimental nature of the game. A risky idea, to be sure. One of the things that bothers me when I play point and click adventures is that I tend to just quickly fill my inventory in the first few minutes ("click and grab"). I thought, "What if finding the 'inventory' was the first challenge?" It may be too fiddly of an idea.

Parts of the the first puzzle are a bit fiddly, but there is more to the game than first meets the eye. I heard squeals of delight from some of our play testers, and I hope others will endure.

A comment on what you mentioned in your spoiler tag:
Spoiler

You were on the trail of finding the satchel by looking at the broken hook. The satchel was too heavy, and it broke the hook. The player mentions that there aren't that many other places to store things in the cabin. The satchel is in one of those locations.
[close]

The location of the satchel:
Spoiler

The satchel is under the bed. You can look under the bed from the closeup view of the larger chair.
[close]

I'm still playing. This game is INCREDIBLE!

Edited to say that i finished. It will be hard for the other entries to beat this one...

Intense Degree

OK v1.1 is up and running! http://www.mediafire.com/file/j95jv79dbuswcxs/Rain_%2526_Snow_-_The_Bouncer_1.11.7z/file

I've adjusted the difficulty and made sure that you can't be too unlucky.

I couldn't track down the exact source of the bug reported. I have re-worked one or two bits and have not been able to reproduce the bug in 10+ attempts so hoping all is fine.

If you play and get that bug again it would be really helpful if you could let me know when it happened and the circumstances as best you can. Perhaps I'm just being thick but I cannot trace the problem in the code or while playing the game to any one specific thing. In fact I can't reproduce the problem at all. Hoping that's a good thing!

The Great Underground Empire

Loving the Cabin, *really* well done!

Hint question:
Spoiler
Trying to split the log, just not sure where the "heavy enough" thing is to hit the wedge with.  I think I've picked up everything I can, tried the metal bar and broom handle.
[close]

And minor glitch found:
Spoiler
Heading onto the path, turn right, go forward, go forward...and then if you look left or right and turn front again, it jumps you back to the first "go forward" spot.  If you don't turn, you can proceed straight to the wolf just fine.
[close]

Can't wait to play the rest!

Shadow1000

Quote from: PlayPretend on Fri 04/12/2020 15:39:59
Loving the Cabin, *really* well done!

Hint question:
Spoiler
Trying to split the log, just not sure where the "heavy enough" thing is to hit the wedge with.  I think I've picked up everything I can, tried the metal bar and broom handle.
[close]

Answer:
Spoiler
Did you make the mallet from the bar and handle? I'm not sure if you found the block of wood to complete the mallet
[close]

Trying Ice Station Zero, really cool (ha!) so far, but stuck on a bug:

Spoiler
I can't put the flamethrower down after picking it up from Inventory, and it stops me interacting with anything else.  I tried left and right clicking.  Clicking back in the Inventory makes the cursor become an arrow again, but all interactions still respond as if I had the flamethrower selected.
[close]

Slasher

Quote from: PlayPretend on Fri 04/12/2020 16:06:34
Trying Ice Station Zero, really cool (ha!) so far, but stuck on a bug:

Spoiler
I can't put the flamethrower down after picking it up from Inventory, and it stops me interacting with anything else.  I tried left and right clicking.  Clicking back in the Inventory makes the cursor become an arrow again, but all interactions still respond as if I had the flamethrower selected.
[close]

You need to click on the Blue Cross top left of screen..

Sinitrena

Quote from: Intense Degree on Fri 04/12/2020 15:09:08
I've adjusted the difficulty and made sure that you can't be too unlucky.

Well, about that...
It did feel easier and I managed to finish the game but for the last night I had one round were not a single person from the VIP list showed up... (as in, all people were not supposed to be there, not as in the queue stayed empty)

The game didn't crash on me anymore, but I encountered a second bug. In the last night, the VIP queue stopped moving:

It was stuck in this position, not moving forward. I can't tell you what happened, I was kind of busy checking IDs...

Anyway, a very well done game, despite the bugs. It's challenging, almost stressful, but also fun.
I didn't like the music at first, but surprisingly, it grew on me.  (nod)

But what a strange world these people live in, where you have to always wear the same clothes or you get rejected at the door.  (laugh)

Slasher:
Spoiler
Ohhhh, whoops, I thought that was for the dialogue for some reason. :) Sorry!
[close]

Racoon

Hey Guys,

I´m really late, but here is my entry. Its a mix of MAGS October and November (but at the end of last month I just had the walk cycle and two background sketches so I hope thats allright). I felt bad about the idea going to waste so I just adjusted it slightly to fit this month theme.

Some things don´t work yet (Save&Load button), but you should be able to play through. I will work on it some more tomorrow and do some last updates, but for now I need a break.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2496-the-cat-case

TheBitPriest

Quote from: PlayPretend on Fri 04/12/2020 15:39:59
Spoiler
Heading onto the path, turn right, go forward, go forward...and then if you look left or right and turn front again, it jumps you back to the first "go forward" spot.  If you don't turn, you can proceed straight to the wolf just fine.
[close]

Can't wait to play the rest!

Patched! Now there's a 1.0.4. Thanks for playing.

I'm looking forward to playing these games sometime this weekend!

Creamy

In the last version of "The Cradle", I made a mistake with the inventory that could make the game unwinnable. You can download a new version with only this fix HERE.
The game is still in development. Hopefully we'll make a browser version playable on mobiles someday.

A rich harvest for the MAGS competition this month  :)
Currently playing the games. So far I've been a mouse detective, a Kurt Russell wannabe and a bouncer...

Creamy: Lol, is Roger the Kurt Russell wannabe?  (laugh)

Creamy

QuoteCreamy: Lol, is Roger the Kurt Russell wannabe?   (laugh)

Err...sorry PlayPretend. I was referring to Slasher's game whose setting strongly reminds me of The Thing.

But I'm currently playing your game and it's a treat (I'll write reviews later).
I just got a crash in the Rotel room:
Spoiler
[close]

Kastchey

I have now created a database entry for The Cradle, in case anyone wants to rate the game and/or comment =]

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2497-the-cradle

It's the patched version Creamy provided earlier.

Creamy: No worries, I could think of a bunch of Kurt Russell flicks that could apply.  :-D

And not sure if it's my phone, but I can't see anything when I reveal your spoiler... could you please repost or PM me? And thanks for the catch!

Kastchey

It was a screenshot of an error, seems one of your characters ("Apocalyft") is missing frames in view 7, loop 2.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk