Nightmare Frames (Demo on STEAM)

Started by Postmodern Adventures, Tue 10/11/2020 11:31:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mkennedy

Quote from: Postmodern Adventures on Thu 22/07/2021 08:52:55
Thank you to all!
Here's a pic of a bunch of characters for the first act (Hollywood):

One of the most gratifying things when developing the game is that having a template for the sprites for the characters, there are no limits to implement them. Not only the key characters, but people who pass by on the street, extras, etc. It's easy and fun!

The guy with his brain exposed, Is that an actual zombie or just an actor in makeup portraying a zombie? :grin:

I don't want to spoil anything, but... yes, you're right! ;)

Behis1995

Tell me, is this poster your final decision?

mkennedy

Something that may wish to consider is allowing the user to access the menu system using the escape key. Also sometimes the text changed before I could read it all so you might want to add an option to require a key press to advance it.

I don't usually implement a key to access the menu, but I can do it for the final game.
There is an option in the main menu (Text Speed: Fast/Slow) so that the text does not advance unless you click on it.

mkennedy

Thanks for that info. You may want to make slow the default as there was some dialog in the opening scene at the start of the game that I missed.

Nowhere Girl

I just played the demo and I liked it. I wanted to give some feedback, because as a passive-only social media user (I read, but don't have accounts), I can't comment on Twitter. (Why don't game developers use good old e-mail these days?) I wanted to ask to include a windowed mode option. It's OK anyway because alt-enter works in this game (in many games it doesn't), but it would be simpler to have the option in the settings menu.
And second - are you considering more language options? Because I thought that I'd like to translate it to Polish... You can send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks for playing the demo, Nowhere Girl!
The button for Fullscreen Yes/no it will be added in the final game. It was on the to-do list.
And for the translation, there are no plans to add more languages by now. But I'll keep you in mind if the situation changes and thanks for the offer!

selmiak

I enjoyed the demo (though it is way too short and just a glimpse into the story) and longplayed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_YWSR7zFjo

SarahLiz

Yasssss, I've had this one wishlisted & now I get to try out the demo!  I've been eyeballing this one...can't wait!!!

Michael2968

I really liked the demo and I am looking forward to the full game when it comes out.

Elvis Tanner

I've just finished the demo and it looks very good. You've put a lot of effort in the small details (like the wonderful movie posters) and created a great atmosphere. I love how historical facts and persons and fictional events intertwine in your game. Nice graphics and very good use of music in a strange story that's set in the 80ies. I am thrilled to find out how the story evolves.

Spoiler
The movie-within-a-movie beginning is a fun start for your game, I really enjoyed this and wish I could have  played longer as a character of 'Lunatic II'.
[close]

heltenjon

I just played the demo. The graphics are really outstanding, with all those cool lighting effects. Together with the sound track, this sucked me right into this world. I spent a long time looking at posters and checking out all the "unnecessary" stuff that brings this piece of 80s Hollywood to life. Great!

The story seems like it's going to be told in an investigative manner, which we know from Urban Witch Story that you do very well. I certainly enjoyed going back and forth to ask people of stuff in order to advance the story. The Taxi Drivers are a great addition!

There's very little to point the finger at here. "Proficient" was misspelled in one instant ("Profficient"). Occasionally, the descriptive text points out things that the main character probably doesn't know, making a clash with the usual POV. For instance, we are treated to details about the police officer's personal history, yet Alan doesn't seem to know him. Personally, I can live just fine with that.

Game wishlisted, of course.  (nod)

EDIT: I hope that I can play that arcade game in the full version!

You're right, heltenjon. I can say that Nightmare Frames is a detective game.

The narrator here is ubiquitous. He knows everything about the world and the people and the people who live in it. There are times when he gives us details of things that Alan (the player) does not know. I like that kind of narrator in such games like Mytho's Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. It adds a lot of depth to the world and information that the protagonist does not necessarily need to know.

Thank you very much for playing and wishlisting it. And thank you to all for the positive feedback! The demo is just the tip of the iceberg!

Rik_Vargard

I played the demo and liked it very much. Good graphics with a lot of ambient.
Great writing, I got into the character and his world quickly

During the dialog with the fanzine boy there's a phrase with "there's there's"

And I don't know if it just on my screen (16/9), but in the right bottom corner there's a weird grey box.

Good luck in the developing!

Fixed that phrase. Thank you very much!

I'm aware of the grey box at the bottom corner. It's the remain of the Steam popup's "Acces the Steam Community while playing". I notice this happens with the 3.4.3  version of AGS (Nightmare Frames Demo),  but not in 3.5.1 (the full game). You can make disappear this grey box doing alt+enter two times.

Thanks for your words, Rik!

rongel

The demo was great! I liked especially the setting, which felt original. I got the feeling that the authors of the game know what they are talking about.

Spoiler
The intro part where you were inside the movie and played as a character from it was fun! I hope there's more of that in the full game!
[close]

Wishlisted!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

heltenjon

Quote from: Postmodern Adventures on Mon 24/01/2022 10:21:58
The narrator here is ubiquitous. He knows everything about the world and the people and the people who live in it. There are times when he gives us details of things that Alan (the player) does not know. I like that kind of narrator in such games like Mytho's Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. It adds a lot of depth to the world and information that the protagonist does not necessarily need to know.
Yes, what I meant was that the narrator usually talks to Alan: "You have already leafed through that fanzine", but these background detail explanations talk to the player, over Alan's head. So the slight jarring in narration is there, but personally I'd agree those comments add so much depth and makes the world feel more real, that I wouldn't sacrifice them just for the sake of author's purity.

That's right. That line in particular shows that the player does not start from scratch with Alan. There was life in that world before the player started playing. I hope that the players understand the concept.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk