Automate length setting?

Started by heltenjon, Fri 20/11/2020 09:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

When browsing the games lists, there are lots of games in the category "Newly Added" that are anything but new. I guess the "Not set" category, which is choosable in a refined search, is a bit better, but still doesn't give any real information.

Reading through the old threads I see that the game length was originally decided by the ratings panel, then later added as something the game creator could choose when uploading a new game to the database. I guess the games with "Newly added" tags now are games added before the option became available for the game creator and games where the creator forgot to make this setting when adding the game to the database.

When we vote/rate games, we also put it in a length category. (Or content, like Joke games.)

Is it possible to make an automated process where "Newly added" changes into the length category chosen by a majority of the voters? If and when the ratings panel go operational again, they may overwrite this if they feel it's wrong. But I'd rather have some information about a game than none.

AGA

Okay, I've written a script that takes the highest voted for category for each game, where there are more than five votes.  It can only be run manually at the moment, but I'll look at getting it to be triggered by the voting.  It should have correctly applied the most voted for categories for all games now anyway.

AGA

Okay, in theory it will now work every time someone votes for a game (or updates their existing votes).

heltenjon

Quote from: AGA on Sun 06/12/2020 12:27:36
Okay, in theory it will now work every time someone votes for a game (or updates their existing votes).

I tried with Brothers & Wreckers (Demo), but it didn't work.  :~(

AGA

That's because only three people have voted to change the category of that game, and each voted for something different!  As I said, it'll take at least five votes for a category for it to change (and the most votes over five will always win).  Otherwise it would be chaos, with the category changing every time someone voted; this would allow one voter to change a game's category to whatever they want, and be far too open to abuse.

heltenjon

Quote from: AGA on Sun 06/12/2020 23:58:45
That's because only three people have voted to change the category of that game, and each voted for something different!  As I said, it'll take at least five votes for a category for it to change (and the most votes over five will always win).  Otherwise it would be chaos, with the category changing every time someone voted; this would allow one voter to change a game's category to whatever they want, and be far too open to abuse.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd have thought that one was obvious (Non-Adventure), so it was a logical one to test.

Danvzare

Quote from: AGA on Sun 06/12/2020 23:58:45
Sounds fair.  (nod)
I like it.  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk