Elia, Ilaria & the Kids Having a Good Time at the Sea (or at least they try)

Started by lorenzo, Wed 25/11/2020 15:25:13

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Finally it's Ferragosto, a holiday right in the middle of August! Elia has prepared everything for a one-day trip to the sea. Or so he thought...

Can you satisfy every request of the family before it's too late, and then enjoy a well-deserved day at the sea?

Made in two weeks for the AdvXJam.

Visit an entire* house!

Browse and buy the latest magazines!

Enjoy quality time with the family!

• Colours that you can count on one hand!
  • So many inventory items!
  • Stuff you can look at!
  • Stuff you can pick up!
  • A deep, touching, heart-wrenching plot!
  • Meet unforgettable characters and forget about them five minutes later!

Lorenzo Boni: plot, coding, graphics, animations.

Slasher: testing.

The game uses Snarky's SpeechBubble Module.
Music by Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org)

--

*Only a few rooms of the house are included.

eri0o

What a lovely game! It looks like books with puzzles I had as kid! And the music is fun too. All scenes are carefully drawn and I really liked the newsstand in the street.

Mandle

Looks amazing! Now that's how you match character and backgrounds perfectly! It looks like a newspaper comic come to life!

lorenzo

eri0o: thank you for your comment! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game. And if it reminded you of something nice when you were a kid, it's even better. ;)

Mandle: thank you! I'm happy that the graphic style turned out cohesive -- there wasn't much time to develop it! (laugh)
Haha, I didn't think of newspaper comics, probably an apt comparison! It's amazing what some artists could do despite the poor printing quality of old newspapers. They wished they had the clear images we have on modern displays!

Slasher

I was honored to have been involved in this small game by Lorenzo...

Lorenzo goes from strength to strength...

selmiak

Sinitrena

I'm turning into a fan of your style, lorenzo. The graphics are plain but expressive, the story is simple but still interesting enough to keep you engaged and your titles really stand out. Congratulations on the release.

Slasher

selmiak You should hide the spoilers until after the game as been out for sometime....

Imagine someone showing your game walkthrough a day or so after you release it.

Maybe put in Hints ad Tips forum..

TheFrighter

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 26/11/2020 09:50:54

eri0o: thank you for your comment! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game. And if it reminded you of something nice when you were a kid, it's even better. ;)

Stavo per dire che mi ricorda il Quesito della Susi!*  (laugh)

It reminds me an old italian puzzle, in fact!  8-)

_

guga2112

As already stated on twitter, this is the first I'll play once the jam is over  :-D I plan on submitting mine this evening, so maybe tonight I'll play it.

Anyway, I really love your art style.

Vincent

Congrats for the releasing, I knew that it would be a fun game and indeed I must say that among the other of your games this is the one that I enjoyed the most!  :-D
Even if my favorite remains Clotilde Soffritti for now maybe because it took you longer to make it? Anyway as usual the humor and graphics never fails, I really enjoyed playing it! :)

Spoiler

The end is a classic of those days (Especially Ferragosto) where you are bottled in the queue and you also have to go to the bathroom... What a fun...  (laugh)
Needless to keep saying that it would be great to have a crossover of all of your characters in one game!  :)
[close]

lorenzo

Slasher: you've been very helpful testing the game, especially on such short notice!

selmiak: happy you liked the game!

Sinitrena: thank you! I always have a hard time finding decent titles, so I'm glad that they at least stand out -- if for no other reason than the length. ;)

TheFrighter: Haha! There are no prizes for winning this game though. (laugh)

guga2112: thanks! Hope you enjoy the game! And congratulations on finishing yours, I'll play it as soon as possible! I need to know what having a good time has to do with all those depressing places you've shown. ;)

Vincent: thank you very much! I'm really happy you enjoyed the game!
I worked on Clotilde on and off for a few months, so I had much more time to add polish and fun stuff (cutscenes, animations, etc). The last few games I did in only two weeks, so I had to cut some corners. Especially animations, which take me forever.
Spoiler
I think we all ended up in a situation like the one at the end, one time or another, haha!

Maybe one day I'll make that crossover game, although I believe you're the only one who would want to play it! ;) (laugh)
[close]

guga2112

Played and enjoyed it. Love the art, the humor and the whole setup. Making me regret naming my daughter Ilaria  :-D

I'm especially in love with your art style, it's simple but very effective, and definitely efficient for a game jam!

heltenjon

Played and enjoyed! I simply love this art style, and the sense of humour shines even more than your last game. The music you've chosen fits the theme very well, too. I particularly like that the family members show some personality (even if parodied) in such a short game. And I like that there are tons of items in the house to be examined.
I like that the player can try to
Spoiler
combine objects from the inventory with the non-takable items in the house
[close]

I'll head over to the games page and give some high scores.  (nod)

A couple of small annoyances: When the player examines a kitty toy, the reply is that the "sons" are into that stuff. But there is only one son. And when the player character is on the far right of the screen, the arrow from the speech bubble still points to the left, which looks odd if there is another character in that spot. (Like standing to the right of the son.)

On the Games page, I suggest that Eric Matyas is credited with the music, as it adds a lot to the atmosphere. (He is credited in-game, but I think it ought to be searchable in the database.) And perhaps Snarky for the use of the speech bubbles...I don't really know what the custom is there.

heltenjon

Quote from: Vincent on Fri 27/11/2020 16:58:13
Needless to keep saying that it would be great to have a crossover of all of your characters in one game!  :)
Quote from: lorenzo on Fri 27/11/2020 19:11:09

Maybe one day I'll make that crossover game, although I believe you're the only one who would want to play it! ;) (laugh)
+1
I even thought when playing this how great it would be to have a game where the other family members trick their father.  (laugh)

lorenzo

guga2112: haha, poor Ilaria!
To be honest, it's not a very efficient graphic style, time-wise -- inking especially takes a long time.

heltenjon: thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed the humour!

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 28/11/2020 11:58:22
When the player examines a kitty toy, the reply is that the "sons" are into that stuff. But there is only one son.
Thanks for pointing that out! That was an oversight. I wrote everything quickly and made some mistakes. I'll correct it in "children" or "kids" when I can. ;)

Regarding the speech bubble glitch, unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it. :-\
Maybe I could try making the string shorter, I'll see.

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 28/11/2020 11:58:22
On the Games page, I suggest that Eric Matyas is credited with the music, as it adds a lot to the atmosphere. (He is credited in-game, but I think it ought to be searchable in the database.)
I only put in the database people who "actively" worked on the game. Personally, I wouldn't want to appear on games I didn't contribute to (maybe even on games I don't like) just because I did a resource that other people used -- but maybe that's just me.
However, I did credit both Snarky and Eric Matyas in the final credits and in the readme file. I've also edited the game thread to include them in the credits part.

cat

I actually wanted to watch Netflix while training on the bike, but then internet broke down. Luckily, I had your game already downloaded. I played it left-handed with the mouse stumbling on a bad surface while riding a bike - not a bad way to spend 30 minutes or so ;)

Lovely game - graphics are great as always but this time also the puzzles are fun - much better than in your last jam game.
Just as heltenjon, I liked
Spoiler

that the player can try to combine objects from the inventory with the non-takable items in the house
[close]

There were tons of items to interact with and the GUI was convenient.

lorenzo

Thank you, cat! I should add "can be played on a bike" to the "features" sections of the game! ;)

Quote from: cat on Tue 15/12/2020 20:52:58
this time also the puzzles are fun - much better than in your last jam game.
The previous jam had a very restrictive theme, while this one was more open ("A good time"), so I found it easier to create puzzles.

Ponch

Fun game and cute art style. It can be played in any waiting room!  :cheesy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk