Duty First - a tale of work, death and heavy metal

Started by guga2112, Fri 27/11/2020 17:28:41

Previous topic - Next topic

guga2112

A short adventure game made in 14 days for the AdvXJam.

You've been waiting for that concert for years. It would be a shame if your sweetheart had some urgent work to do and called off your date...

Left click to interact, right click to inspect. Esc pauses. Metal rules.

Link here: https://gugames.itch.io/duty-first

lorenzo

I thought I would wait for the weekend to play the game, then I started it just to see what it was about... and in the end I played it all and finished it.

Loved it, it was a lot of fun! Great humour and I really enjoyed the puzzles: logical, but not too easy. Graphics were nice and clear (I really like the split-screen phone call scene at the start, and the soap opera playing on tv) and the music was really good. Story and dialogue were quite funny and well-written.

All in all, a very nice game! I really enjoyed it!

heltenjon

Another great game! I want to compliment the music especially, because the game's premise really needs the background music to fit - and it does! Also great humour, fun puzzles and fine graphics.  (nod)

Shadow1000

Unbelievable that it was made in 14 days! Great graphics and backgrounds. Really funny. Great music. Best part of all was the puzzles - I really enjoyed solving them.

Pogwizd

A really fun game with nice graphics. As others pointed out, the fact that this game was made in 14 days is really impressive.

Honza

Just finished this, the puzzles were fun and really liked the ending. I'm not a big fan of the "lovable selfish a*hole" adventure game protagonist (looking at you, Deponia), so it was nice that the game actually acknowledged it and he got his due :).

SarahLiz

I really cannot believe this was made in 14 days.  What a fun game!  Thanks for making it!  :)

HanaIndiana

That was a really fun game! I really like the graphics  :-D

FormosaFalanster

I played it :) if you really made this in two weeks you must really be experienced with pixel art and AGS!

The puzzles were fun but it was easy, I finished it in 20mn without really thinking. I had a fun time though! Metalheads appear often in narrative games but you took an original and genuine angle. For a start because the music is really great. Some details are telling the story in a clever way: the prog rock vinyl collection for example is something I discovered while exploring the game that told me about the character, the interactions with the caretaker and her telenovelas say a lot about their relationship, the ending was cleverly done too. There were some good ways to make the game more interesting too: the questions to ask the caretaker which made me click repeatedly, and the fact that you look for three items at the same time so if you stall while looking for one you can get busy with another (but again it was not so difficult so I was never really stalling).

I will not criticize the game for being short considering you made it very quickly, it was obviously made for a short time of fun and you succeeded at it :) My only criticism is that I cannot handle the references to nineties games anymore, they have been done so often that they don't make me laugh any longer. Your game was really much more fun when you were using your own brand of humour!

guga2112

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Thu 21/01/2021 10:05:58
I played it :) if you really made this in two weeks you must really be experienced with pixel art and AGS!
Thanks  :-D this was my third (completed) AGS game, but I've been regularly fiddling around with it for quite some time. Also pixel art has been a hobby of mine for years. The game has been entirely written and produced in two weeks, except for the couch in the room and the grim reaper, which were taken from my other two games. And the dentures puzzle, which is something I had in mind for another game.

Metalheads appear often in narrative games but you took an original and genuine angle. For a start because the music is really great.

That's because I'm a metalhead myself  (laugh)

I'm confused about the "references to nineties games", because I don't remember where I put some. Do you mean the music he plays on the piano? That's the music from my commercial game - EDIT: I replayed the game and I had totally forgotten about the ringtone (it was my actual ringtone at the time - now I have the Super Mario theme song, for the record) and the "look behind you, a three-headed monkey" which is something I still say if I want to distract someone. That's why I didn't register them as references  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk