Perfect Movies

Started by Mandle, Sun 29/11/2020 07:49:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

You know Mr. Mandle... sometimes our parallels shock me!

I would list Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Toy Story but I'd also toss Willow into the mix as well!

While I don't think I could classify any movie as "perfect" I do have a long list of movies that are perfect for me. In the way(s) they inspired me, changed me, moved me, etc.

So in the spirit of this thread I'd have to go with:

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
I woke up one morning in early 1993 and decided, in typical fifteen year old wisdom, that I just didn't feel like going to school. I played sick and fooled (so I thought) my parents into letting me stay home to "recover". I slept a bit. Ate some breakfast. Then I wandered into my older brother's room (just being nosey). Sitting on the nightstand was a new movie box he'd picked up (he worked at a local video rental place called Discount Video at the time). It was The Last of the Mohicans. I was unwilling to admit to myself that I was bored (and would probably be less bored at school) so I decided to watch it. There a few moments in life where you can place a chapter marker and say, "before this moment my life was very different than it was after" and this was one of those moments. The movie builds up so well you don't even realize it's manipulating you. The waterfall scene slaps you in the face so hard as you realize what it's all been building towards and then the chase scene (with that music, oh my stars!) just ties it all up. Daniel Day Lewis is, in my opinion, the greatest actor of any generation (Gary Oldman is a tight second place). The movie is breath-taking (cinematography, direction, pacing, acting). In subsequent viewings you realize there's so much to this story that you might miss on a single viewing. My particular favorite background detail is how subtle the love story between Uncas and Alice is (as it's so beautifully over-shadowed by the main [incredible] love-story) that you're almost confused by the exchange between them when Uncas meets his noble end until you go back and see all the background interactions they shared through-out the movie. I grew up (to some degree) on the notion of "cowboys and indians" where the cowboys were the good guys and the indians were the savage bad guys. This movie taught me to think differently. To see that some of the truths we were raised on might require some questioning. I remember being confused, during the chase scene, to find I had tears running down my cheeks. I didn't know a movie could do that to a person! So while I wouldn't say it's a "perfect" movie I would say it's as close to perfection as a movie has gotten (in my opinion).

Over the years I have spoken to people who just don't get my love of this movie. They think it's slow and boring and over-acted. I have long held the belief that a person's personal situation at the time of watching a movie can dramatically affect their take on a movie and it makes it hard for them to understand why others just can't see the greatness the way they can. When I stayed home from school, all those decades ago, I was head over heels in love with one Susan Jaskolski (she didn't know it yet) and I think, seeing this amazing love story in the movie, I connected the feelings I had for Sue to the movie. I haven't talked to Sue in over 20 years but I still regularly watch The Last of the Mohicans.

I would also probably have to mention:

Saving Private Ryan
Those who know me know I'm a Spielberg fan-boy but this movie... my stars! That opening scene (June 6, 1944) and the assault on Omaha Beach is one of the greatest pieces of film-making that's ever been done. I have never felt so exhilarated, terrified, and sick at the same time (well, from watching a movie at any rate). I remember being in the theater and about 5 minutes into that sequence I realized I had bitten through the skin on the knuckle of my middle finger (no joke). I won't go into as much detail here as I did above but I want to mention one particular scene to showcase the greatness of this movie. As the allies are establishing the beach head two American soldiers are approaching some, clearly surrendering and terrified, enemy soldiers who are pleading with raised hands and no weapons. The Americans gun them down and even make jokes as they search the dead bodies. It shows that war is brutal on both sides and it's not just the "bad guys" that do bad things. However what I learned years later (as Spielberg does nothing to point it out or make it part of the movie) the two soldiers were actually not German. They were Czech conscripts and they were shouting/pleading "Please don't shoot me, I am not German, I am Czech, I didn't kill anyone, I am Czech". When you re-watch the scene, knowing who they are and what they're saying, it's another gut-punch after nearly 10 minutes of constant gut-punching! This is a film making tour-de-force that I would say may have been equaled but has never been bettered.

As to some of the other mentions made.

I have never been a huge fan of Tarantino but I've enjoyed his movies for the most part. I have always felt he lost his way after Pulp Fiction. I think the notoriety went to his head and anything after Pulp Fiction just felt like he was chasing the greatness (or trying to surpass it) and never did. Just my opinion.

Quote from: Mouth for war on Mon 30/11/2020 11:57:59One of my all time favourite movies is "Falling down" with Michael Douglas. A perfect movie in my opinion.
While I wouldn't put it on my "perfect" list I have to give a nod to this! It's an amazingly fun (if depressing if you let it get you) movie!

That's all I have (for now).

Mandle

Many will disagree, including the original creator, Alan Moore, but:

Watchmen

I cannot say how much the graphic novel impacted me and influenced my standard for good written art.

The first time I watched the movie was almost a religious experience for me. I did have the "WTF?!" moment that every fan experienced towards the end but, given time, I've come to the opinion that the plot change there actually makes the story better in a movie format. In an already long movie, adding the story of the island etc, would have been too much, and Dr. Manhattan was the obvious threat that humanity was worried about, so it's all good.

Just watched it again tonight (theatrical version) and it really stands up. I think this is going to be a movie that caused a lot of butthurt when it came out but is going to be rediscovered over time and heralded as a classic.

I'm curious how it was for those who saw it without having read the book, though.

EDIT: I just watched the last quarter of the movie that I didn't have time to finish last night.

The scene where NightOwl is working on "Archie" and arguing with Rorschach and calls him a "Goddamn lunatic" and then Rorschach jumps down and says "You've always been a good friend, Daniel. I know sometimes dealing with me can be difficult." while shaking hands brought me to honest tears. And then there is the perfectly honest moment where the handshake breaks incredibly awkwardly.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 30/11/2020 15:03:39

Watchmen

I cannot say how much the graphic novel impacted me and influenced my standard for good written art.

The first time I watched the movie was almost a religious experience for me. I did have the "WTF?!" moment that every fan experienced towards the end but, given time, I've come to the opinion that the plot change there actually makes the story better in a movie format. In an already long movie, adding the story of the island etc, would have been too much, and Dr. Manhattan was the obvious threat that humanity was worried about, so it's all good.

Just watched it again tonight (theatrical version) and it really stands up. I think this is going to be a movie that caused a lot of butthurt when it came out but is going to be rediscovered over time and heralded as a classic.

I'm curious how it was for those who saw it without having read the book, though.

I've never read the book. Although I did watch the movie once, and I remember rather enjoying it as the time.
I was surprised when I later learnt that people didn't like it. Then again, the same is true for Terminator Genisys, so... maybe I just have terrible tastes in movies.  :-\

Crimson Wizard

Then I'd like to also mention "The Duelists" and "Alien" both by Ridley Scott. Obviously, they are very different films, and seen by me in very different times.

EDIT: Ah, and I forgot to mention "Miller's Crossing", it is perhaps my favourite Coens' movie. People seem to usually mention "Fargo" in relation to them, but I liked "MC" slightly more for some reason.

Strangely, but mostly slow paced movies come to my head now. Maybe it's some kind of period in my life. There definitely had to be good action films that I've seen.

Aforementioned "Jurassic Park" was probably a good one, but I remember it poorly. Recently I watched some clips on youtube, and surprisingly they had smart dialogs there which I didn't remember, as I watched it in a teen age last time.
Star Wars 4 and 5 were totally great and left a mark. I still think these are the best SW films in whole franchise.

Also, all or most of mentioned above are American movies :). Are there any european, asian etc ones?

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 30/11/2020 14:51:47
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 30/11/2020 08:06:33
Angel Heart is pretty nice. And Rourke was excellent at the time.

100% agree. I would also add that it is a beautifully filmed movie. Every shot is lovely which is a weird thing to have in a movie with such a grim story.

Also interesting that this is the film that got Lisa Bonet fired from The Cosby Show because her sex scene offended Bill Cosby so much. Maybe because she was conscious during it?

:D

And in interviews she was saying that she asked him before, and he told her it didn't matter.
I am sure he watched with interest  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

LimpingFish

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 30/11/2020 14:58:34
So in the spirit of this thread I'd have to go with:

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

I remember being confused, during the chase scene, to find I had tears running down my cheeks.

See, now I'm starting to wonder about being unfairly emotionally manipulated by cinema, because I cried during that sequence! Maybe being young, impressionable, and swarming with hormones (I would have been a similar age, sixteen or so, when I first saw the movie on VHS) makes you more likely to emotionally respond to what happens during that part of the story (and so much happens!). Death, sacrifice, heroism, revenge, at one point you even see a flicker of humanity in Wes Studi's muderous Magua, a character who in a lesser movie would have been a two-dimensional monster...it's all so good!

Michael Mann has made some good movies over the years, and some people really love Heat, but as pure cinematic experience, I think The Last of the Mohicans is Mann's greatest achievement.

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 30/11/2020 15:03:39
Watchmen

I actually agree with you. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Watchmen (both the theatrical and extended versions) and I don't really understand a lot of the negativity it has received over the years. I'll admit that some of its symbolism is a little on the nose, and that sex scene tonally jars, but overall the movie's strengths (it's visuals, most of it's performances, and the bulk of it's storytelling) survive these pretty minor flaws. It's certainly not the hack-job of the source material some claim it is, and (imho) is one of the better comic-book adaptations.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 30/11/2020 16:50:27
Ah, and I forgot to mention "Miller's Crossing", it is perhaps my favourite Coens' movie.

Yes, I could watch that movie again and again. I have to say that Raising Arizona is probably my favourite Coen movie, though, and definately one that I would consider a perfect movie. It works on so many levels, and the cast is so spot-on perfect, that I could wax lyrical about it for days.

Sticking with the Coens, I'd also say that Barton Fink is so beautifully constructed that it's worthy of being labeled perfect in my opinion. It may be a bit dark, and somewhat of a downer for some, but I just love it.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

mbday630

Mandel, it is funny, but, when I read the subject matter of this thread, my first thought was "True Lies."  I loved that movie. I don't like a lot of action, but, enough to keep me entertained, and it was so funny.  So, I am in agreement with you - - Great movie!

milkanannan

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 30/11/2020 21:55:17
Yes, I could watch that movie again and again. I have to say that Raising Arizona is probably my favourite Coen movie, though, and definately one that I would consider a perfect movie. It works on so many levels, and the cast is so spot-on perfect, that I could wax lyrical about it for days.

I'll have to try watching this again. I gave it a go ages ago (so long ago I can't really even picture what happened aside from what Nicholas Cage looks like), and I remember finding it beyond boring. But it always seems to make the top of someone's list, so I must have missed something.

KyriakosCH

Inland Empire is the Lynch film I actually like*.
It still has some Lynch stuff I don't find that elegant, but overall my impression was that the real protagonist is that slav girl, and she gets herself hypnotized watching US tv in that hotel to forget what happened to her.

*I also like the Elephant Man, but that isn't characteristic of Lynch.

Mandle

I have to say that Raising Arizona is probably my favourite Coen movie, though, and definately one that I would consider a perfect movie. It works on so many levels, and the cast is so spot-on perfect, that I could wax lyrical about it for days.

Sticking with the Coens, I'd also say that Barton Fink is so beautifully constructed that it's worthy of being labeled perfect in my opinion. It may be a bit dark, and somewhat of a downer for some, but I just love it.

Raising Arizona is an absolutely perfect movie IMO and is on my list of Top 5 best comedies of all time (I don't count Monty Python films as mere movies, more like mana from heaven), as are all of the Coen brothers' (involvement) movies, including Evil Dead.

The movie that knocked Raising Arizona from my number one favorite comedy position, down to number two, was:

A Fish Called Wanda

Every shot of this film is pure comedic gold. The characters don't even need to be saying anything to be funny as hell.

From John Cleese glancing back at Jamie Lee Curtis in amazement as he drives off, and the reveal that he has left his briefcase on the roof of his car, to the regretful look on Wanda's face as she puts the wrench back away after Otto finds out the diamonds are gone ("DISAPPOINTED!!").

The perfect movie to study "filming between the lines" for anyone who wants to make a comedy movie.

KyriakosCH

Are you going to kkk-kill me, kkk-Ken?  :=

Babar

I thought the correct response to this subject was "Face/Off"?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mandle

Quote from: Babar on Tue 01/12/2020 16:34:05
I thought the correct response to this subject was "Face/Off"?

(laugh) No argument from me there!

"Hi honey, I'm home! We're just gonna be raising this kid now, okay? Okay, cool."

Cassiebsg

This thread is starting to be "the movie I just saw yesterday"...  (laugh)

Anyway, for me it's got to be Flatliners (1990)... going to the movie with some friends from summer camp and having no idea what the movie was about (we just picked a random movie)... and the Portuguese title just made me think it would be an action/cop movie, so my expectations were rather low. But boy was I blown away... still love to watch it and still gives me goose bumps every single time.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Galen

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 29/11/2020 12:05:05
I think Sin City is a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel. It's done frame-by-frame in a way I wouldn't have thought possible. But if you thought the graphic novel was crap, then you won't like this either. The story takes second seat to style and execution, and there's plenty to be offended by. But I loved it.

Definitely some of the compositing or CGI can look a little off by modern standards... but the thing that really took me out is how comical the 'character is hit by a car' scene is. Or should I say 'character is repeatedly hit by like 10 goddamn cars as he's flung from car to car like a pinball' scene. There's only so much you can push the physics of something, even in a less grounded setting, and that by far broke it for me. Even with a cartoon I think if you set it up as obeying some slightly exaggerated version of physics, that precludes you from having a character fall 200 feet onto concrete and not die (I think one of the Kung Fu Panda film has some variant on this). For me, that one scene went from 'stylised reality of a graphic novel' to 'Looney Toons Wile E Coyote cartoon'.

Also, clearly 12 Angry Men (1957) is the bestest film.

heltenjon

Quote from: Galen on Sun 06/12/2020 00:54:47
Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 29/11/2020 12:05:05
I think Sin City is a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel.

Definitely some of the compositing or CGI can look a little off by modern standards... but the thing that really took me out is how comical the 'character is hit by a car' scene is. Or should I say 'character is repeatedly hit by like 10 goddamn cars as he's flung from car to car like a pinball' scene.

Hehe...perhaps Mandle's next thread should be about scenes that broke a movie. I totally understand what you're saying, I just accepted what you didn't. Mind you, I'm the guy who had a James Bond movie ruined for me because of a poker scene.  (laugh) And a friend of mine was so out of The Lord of the Rings the minute the first elf turned up. I guess we all have our off buttons.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/12/2020 10:34:33
I have to say that Raising Arizona is probably my favourite Coen movie, though, and definately one that I would consider a perfect movie. It works on so many levels, and the cast is so spot-on perfect, that I could wax lyrical about it for days.

Raising Arizona is an absolutely perfect movie IMO and is on my list of Top 5 best comedies of all time.

I decided to watch these as I did not remember seeing those two for some reason. I found that possibly have seen "Barton Fink" before (some scenes looked familiar). I sort of see why you say it's well structured, building emotion is very well done with characters and decoration, and I liked particular themes, but this is definitely "not mine", it's one of those kind of movies that give me impression of a fever dream.

"Raising Arizona" is great, except it gets over the top silly with the "hell biker" character imho. Maybe it's a reference that americans have a connection with :)? in any case it's one thing that left me confused.

EDIT: Something funny, I was 100% sure "Raising Arizona"'s prison escape scene is a parody on "The Shawshank Redemption" scene, but no, the "Shawshank" fim is made 7 years later.

Similarily, I was chuckling about the box in Barton Fink, because "what's in the box" is the obvious question, but no... again Coens' film was made earlier.

CaptainD

I will put forward 2 nominations as "Perfect Movies":

The Princess Bride

&

Galaxy Quest

The latter is just very slightly debatable as perhaps you need a little insight into Star Trek to truly appreciate some of it, but I can't think of anything in either movie that could realistically have been bettered.  Unforgettable performances, clever writing, exceptional pacing - I will never get tired of watching either film. 

There are a number of films that I could happily rewatch, but like Snarky said sometimes it's the quirky faults that make them enjoyable.  Movie humour that works just as well after the first time you see a movie, because you're actually laughing in anticipation of what's going to happen, is movie humour done absolutely right.

cat

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 07/12/2020 10:23:12

Galaxy Quest

The latter is just very slightly debatable as perhaps you need a little insight into Star Trek to truly appreciate some of it, but I can't think of anything in either movie that could realistically have been bettered.  Unforgettable performances, clever writing, exceptional pacing - I will never get tired of watching either film. 

Except for one tiny detail: In the outtakes of the DVD extras there is a scene that explains why she finishes the movie with her suit zipped open, which did not make it into the movie. If the scene was included in the movie, it would have been perfekt.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 07/12/2020 01:43:29
...it's one of those kind of movies that give me impression of a fever dream.

Indeed. And, to tell you the truth, I first saw Barton Fink when I was very young (maybe fifteen or so), and the movie's sudden turn into nightmarish violence and pessimism turned me off at the time. It would take multiple viewings over the years since for me to appreciate what the movie is trying to do, and the wonderful job the Coen's do in tying it all together. The Coen's themselves didn't help, though, seeing as they refuse to discuss intent or symbolism in any of their movies, which annoyed me at the time, but is something I've come to value in their work.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk