MAGS December “Companions” (PLEASE VOTE)

Started by Stupot, Wed 02/12/2020 04:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS December?

Tom and Jimi in Blowout
5 (62.5%)
Ka and Da
0 (0%)
Jason Saves Christmas
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 18/01/2021 13:23:16

Stupot

Voting time. Please vote using the poll above.

Companions
Chosen by PlayPretend

With so much isolation in the world, we could all use a boon companion to help us along!

- A companion must accompany your main character everywhere in the game.

- They must help your main character solve puzzles - by giving advice, taking physical action, or using a power/skill, etc.

- They don't have to be visible or a separate character sprite - "carrying inside your inventory", "riding on your back", "constant voice inside your head" are all good to save on art/animation, as long as they're regularly used to solve puzzles.  If you separate to solve a puzzle, get back together quickly.

Other than that, go nuts, get wild, be surprising with your interpretations!  :-D  Alien chestburster?  Talking parrot-headed umbrella?  Sentient hammer?  Floaty ghost following you?

Can't wait to see what you come up with!  :) ;)

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

I just need:

* A Companion
* A plot

I'll see what I can come up with when I get time (laugh)

The Great Underground Empire

I'm taking a break, exhausted myself in November. But I can't wait to play what you all come up with! :D

DBoyWheeler

This kinda has me thinking of the Mario & Luigi game series (Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, etc.), since that has a theme of having multiple characters solve puzzles through teamwork.

Anyway, good luck on this.

VampireWombat

Okay, after giving it some thought I have decided to give it another shot this month. My idea will take place mostly in one location with two characters. So I will be focusing on story, characterization, puzzles, and programming instead of art.

Blondbraid

Maybe this could be an opportunity for Olga and Ivan to examine their relationship...

Cassiebsg

Cool, I got the "perfect" team and spend last night working on the assets... I made... a chair!  (wtf)
To be fair it was a bit complicated shape, so hopefully I can finish the rest of the furniture tonight and start working on the BG.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

I'm running with an idea I have..

Running title is... Tom and Jimi in: Crispy duck

Tom "I'm going to have lobster sweet and sour and soft spare ribs!"
Tom "And pork with pineapple and chicken with almonds!"
Tom "And them lovely spring rolls."
Jimi "And I'll have chicken chow mein and oysters!"
Jimi "And beef with onions!"
Tom "Let's go and have a right old blowout!"

Slasher

Tom and Jimi in: Crispy duck

I've got most of the opening scene / room one  set up....

Tom and Jimi are unlikely companions seeing as they are cat and mouse. After years of fighting they called a truce and became friends. Tom proclaims he is the boss. Together they go everywhere always looking for things to do and they share the same interest...food. When a new Chinese restaurant opens they have only one thought: Getting in and raiding the kitchen and having a right old blowout!

VampireWombat

I have been inspired by a couple of Adventure X games to do something more fun, so I'm going a completely different route for my game. I'm still going to keep gameplay to one scene and other things so I focus on story and coding over graphics. I have no title or design for my characters yet, but I do at least have the general game figured out.

Slasher

Confirmed Title....

Tom and Jimi in: Blowout!

Slasher

My entry is going well... Most of the rooms are set up...

Lots left to do scripting wise but going fine...

Hope people are hard working on their entries  (nod)

People has been making some great games ;)

Slasher

My entry is complete..... now comes the heartaches of testing and tweaking  :(

Good luck guys  (nod)

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

heltenjon

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 15/12/2020 21:16:45
I think I have an idea.

Descartes! It's the famous "I have an idea, therefore I think!"  (nod)

Er, wasn't this the Guess the philospher thread?  :-[

(Hope your idea pans out, K!)

KyriakosCH

Thanks, although I wouldn't want anyone to think it is that likely the game will be made. I am super-lazy  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

Anyone got anything to say/show?

Waiting.....

Slasher

"After years of fighting and squabbling Tom cat and Jimi mouse call a truce and decide
to team up as companions for fun adventures and indulge in their favourite pastime: Food."
Being tested.....

VampireWombat

Alas, the only thing I've done beyond the research stage is a very rough background. If I had any external motivation, I could probably still finish in time. But since I lack both internal and external motivation, it looks like I'm done for the month.

heltenjon

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 20/12/2020 13:44:59
Alas, the only thing I've done beyond the research stage is a very rough background. If I had any external motivation, I could probably still finish in time. But since I lack both internal and external motivation, it looks like I'm done for the month.

*Externally motivating* That's too bad. I was really curious about what you were going to do in a one-room inspired by the advx games.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk