MAGS December “Companions” (PLEASE VOTE)

Started by Stupot, Wed 02/12/2020 04:41:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS December?

Tom and Jimi in Blowout
5 (62.5%)
Ka and Da
0 (0%)
Jason Saves Christmas
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 18/01/2021 13:23:16

Ponch

Playing now... Voting soon...

Voted!  :cool:

Shadow1000

I voted

Tom and Jimi in: Blowout by Slasher
Spoiler
Not particularly challenging, this game was really fun and funny, had a good variety of things to do and fit the theme very well
[close]

Ka and Da by VampireWombat
Spoiler
I see a character move around a big room. Doing different things will make different stats change. Talking to the other character will basically end the game. Because you can't speak to the other character, it's hard to say if the entry meets the theme
[close]

Jason Saves Christmas by fernewelten
Spoiler
This game seems to be the most complete and polished, with some solid ideas and puzzles. Great application of the theme. Unfortunately I did not complete the game as I seem to have hit a bug that doesn't allow me to proceed.

Some detail to my thoughts: the intro was good but a bit long. The last section where you see horns moving around a dark room felt like it really dragged on to the point that I wasn't sure if something had gone wrong or if the game started. I noticed some elements that are common to some other entries, such as the maze and the dialogue puzzle. About 11 1/2 months early for Christmas ;)  I feel that I spent a disproportionate amount of time on the hints thread as compared to actual playing.

Overall a great entry and I completely understand the challenge of getting out a solid entry under such a time constraint.
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Tom and Jimi, as the most complete and best overall player experience of the entries
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 12/01/2021 14:39:21

Spoiler
I see a character move around a big room. Doing different things will make different stats change. Talking to the other character will basically end the game. Because you can't speak to the other character, it's hard to say if the entry meets the theme
[close]
Apparently in my attempt to flesh out the game, I forgot to check boxes to enable quit dialog at 2 of the friendship levels. This issue should be fixed in the version I just uploaded.

heltenjon

Is there an ending to Ka and Da? I somehow managed to
Spoiler
get a negative count of days. At zero, I got the message that I had no more time, but it went to negative time when I tried talking to my crewmate. Is there a specific action I'm supposed to try at zero, or is zero supposed to trigger the ending?

EDIT: I tried again, this time it was looking at the TV that made the time go to minus one. (Possibly it was that the first time, too.)
[close]
Otherwise, fine game. I'll make reviews when I've played them all. A bit last minute before voting this time around.

VampireWombat

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 16/01/2021 21:05:48
There are supposed to be multiple endings. But apparently I missed a few things. It looks like interacting with the computer is the only way to actually end it.

Spoiler
From there, the endings are supposed to vary depending on your friendship points and abductions. In theory it should still end if you have negative time left... In theory.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 17/01/2021 14:59:17
There are supposed to be multiple endings. But apparently I missed a few things. It looks like interacting with the computer is the only way to actually end it.

Spoiler
From there, the endings are supposed to vary depending on your friendship points and abductions. In theory it should still end if you have negative time left... In theory.
[close]

Perhaps I have missed something.
Spoiler
I don't think I have found a computer to interact with. I didn't find any hotspots in the engine room, so maybe I haven't looked close enough. I love the theory of the multiple endings...hope I find a way to see them for real.   :)
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 17/01/2021 15:17:02

Perhaps I have missed something.
Spoiler
I don't think I have found a computer to interact with. I didn't find any hotspots in the engine room, so maybe I haven't looked close enough. I love the theory of the multiple endings...hope I find a way to see them for real.   :)
[close]
Spoiler
Bottom left room, to the left of the table and Da.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 17/01/2021 14:59:17

When interacting with the computer after the time runs out, it says I don't have enough energy.

VampireWombat

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 17/01/2021 19:50:10
When interacting with the computer after the time runs out, it says I don't have enough energy.
Oops. Sounds like the computer is one of the things that actually is dependent on energy. I guess at this point you're a bit stuck. Sorry about that...

heltenjon

My thoughts this round.

Tom and Jimi in: Blowout by Slasher
Spoiler
Great humour made this one a treat. I really liked the animations, too - the mouse running to try to keep up with the cat's walk!  :-D I'm one of those who get absurd thoughts when playing something like this, like "cats probably won't like rice". But the fact that they talk doesn't bother me one bit. (laugh) I _so_ wanted to use all of those funny items found in the bins, but I guess they're only dressing.
[close]

Spoiler
I'm quite fond of time management games, but not when compared to adventures. Anyway, this one is a good idea, with some abduction humour thrown in, too. Unfortunately I can't see the endings, so I don't know how well I did, but I think perhaps 75 hours makes the game easy. I managed to keep all of the stats comfortably high/low. (But can't say for sure without the scale, of course.) Fine abuse of the AGS engine.
[close]

Jason Saves Christmas by fernewelten
Spoiler
Another good game with a few bugs. Good puzzles and funny characters. This has a very different feel when you swap characters, and that's a plus here.
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Jason saves Christmas. Blowout was funnier and felt more finished, and this one had the better puzzles. Close call, but I let the puzzles win this time. I'm a hound for good dialogue puzzles.
[close]

Stupot

Well done to Slasher for winning this round. I’ll PM you in a bit about choosing the next topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk