A Nightmare on Duckburg

Started by janleht, Sun 02/08/2015 09:44:06

Previous topic - Next topic

janleht

A NIGHTMARE ON DUCKBURG

A game about life, death and the seven deadly sins.

FEATURES:

- an intriguing murder mystery
- about 60 playable rooms
- original soundtrack (over 30 tunes)
- hand drawn 640x400 graphics
- no sudden deaths or dead ends

WARNING:

This game contains:

- violence
- foul language
- nudity & sex scenes
- drug use

DOWNLOAD HERE

Hobo

Congrats on the release! I took a little peek of the game and the intro was very promising, I'll try and find some time to play it in the near future.

janleht

Thanks, Hobo! Glad you liked the intro.

sthomannch

Hey! Really good game, a lot of surprises and good story line!

janleht

Thanks for the feedback, sthomannch ;-D

Shadow1000

I finished this game last night. This one is a must-play (but see below)

To me, probably the strongest point in the game is the puzzles. The puzzles in this game are clever, creative, unexpected and never cliched. I definitely got stuck and had to use the hint forum but the difficulty level was perfect. A close second strength is the humour. It's not often that a game has me laughing uncontrollably almost every step along the way. This game is FUNNY! To round out the strong points, the art matched the game perfectly and the story and plot were just right for the game in terms of length, complexity, and setting the environment.

The game is well-structured with chapter divisions and the puzzles are fairly linear. I happen to like these elements but some people may prefer things to be more "open".

The only final point I will make is that the game is crude, replete with foul language, sex reference, cartoon violence, sexual activity, nudity, drug and alcohol use and just about everything else offensive. As such, it is not appropriate for minors or people who take offense at these things.

But for the rest of us, it's a MUST PLAY!! :D

Well done.

SHADOW

janleht

Yay! ;-D Thanks, Shadow! Glad you had fun playing the game.

Mandle

Yup....I also finished the game last night, in one sitting. It took me about 6-7 hours without a walkthrough or hints but about 2 of those hours were spents being stuck on puzzles twice, but when I did find the solution there was not the usual "well how was I ever supposed to guess that?!" reaction.

The game is AMAZING!!! I totally agree with everything Shadow just said so will not repeat too much of his excellent review except to add:

It has been said in this thread that there is crude humour and not to play if you are offended by sexual references etc.

Well I will add that at certain points the crudity level gets really, REALLY high. I still thought it was funny, but I must admit being a little shocked myself at points. So if you're reading these warnings and thinking "oh, I can handle a bit of inuendo and some sprites fooling around a little." then you should be aware that the game takes it WAAAAY further than that. The game is not all about the sexual stuff and it is included now and then for humour, but when it is there it is very STRONG. Be warned!

Also Disney fans beware. If you have cherished Disney characters:
Spoiler
This game will destroy, degrade, and disgrace them in every possible way...I know I'll never look at Daisy the same way again.
[close]

Awesome game, unforgettable story-line, puzzles, and characters...
The ending:
Spoiler
Was both shocking and sad at the same time. I kinda teared-up a little, which was very unexpected.
[close]

Oh....and I also just realised that if you take the "seven deadly sins" into account while playing:
Spoiler
You will find each of them personified in the game characters. A nice extra layer of artistry I had not realised while being too caught up in the story to consider such subtleties...NICELY DONE!!!
[close]

Anyway: A new and instant AGS classic, but only for those very unfaint-of-heart and who can take offensive humour as just that: humour...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 16/08/2015 23:39:36
Well I will add that at certain points the crudity level gets really, REALLY high. I still thought it was funny, but I must admit being a little shocked myself at points.

To be honest, I THINK that the reason I laughed so hard was mostly because of the the shock value of the crudity level more than anything else. It's kind of how Andrew Dice Clay became so popular in the early 90s: simply by saying things that are so shockingly crude that most people would just not think of let alone say in public. Of course you can only push that envelope so far before it's no longer shocking which is why he became an irrelevant bore within a few years, but while it's new still, it makes people laugh :)

SHADOW

janleht

Thanks for your thoughts, Mandle!

I admit the crudity level is pretty high now and then, but I don't think it's much worse than stuff in South Park, example. :)

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: janleht on Mon 17/08/2015 16:01:36
Thanks for your thoughts, Mandle!

I admit the crudity level is pretty high now and then, but I don't think it's much worse than stuff in South Park, example. :)
Yeah, but not everybody likes South Park. Like me.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Mandle

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Mon 17/08/2015 16:22:19
Yeah, but not everybody likes South Park. Like me.

Then you know what not to do then...

MUFFINinc

Hey, I started playing this game back in August, got stuck towards the end and set it aside, just picked it up again a couple of days ago, so my review is a bit belated.

I will start off by saying I thought this was a very entertaining game.  I'm fond of this sort of dark humor, and the combination of Disney characters with a gritty noir/horror theme is pure genius.  The vulgarity of it made me laugh too; as someone else I think said about it, I'll never look at Daisy Duck the same way again.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the music, so I would just like to say that I loved the music.  The abstract lo-fi creepiness of it really accented the art and overall style of the game; the whole thing feels like it was done by some sort of deranged juvenile mental patient, and I mean that in the best possible way.  I would be willing to pay actual money for a soundtrack, if you ever decided to release one.

Some of the puzzles were a little bit strange and hard to guess, and I needed a couple of hints here and there to get through the game.  However, everything made sense in its own demented way and I think the overall pace and flow of the game was well done.

I know this game is based off of the Donald Duck comics, which I'm sad to say I've never really read, but I do remember watching Duck Tales growing up and it was hilarious watching these characters in this kind of story.  I don't know if you're familiar with the show Darkwing Duck, but it ran around the same time period as Duck Tales and was set in the same universe as far as I know.  I would be faintly curious to see that world get the same treatment at some point if by any chance you needed an idea for a sequel or something.  Or even a direct sequel to this would be interesting.

Spoiler
I'm curious to know what happened to Uncle Scrooge's money bin now that nobody technically owns it.
[close]

janleht

Thanks for your thoughts, MUFFINinc! Nice to get feedback from the music too :)

I'll upload the soundtrack to internet later this spring and add the link on this thread.

I've had some thoughts about the sequel, but seems it's just too much work in my current situation.

MUFFINinc

Quote from: janleht on Tue 17/05/2016 18:03:18
Soundtrack of the game is here:

https://soundcloud.com/janleht/sets/a-nightmare-on-duckburg-soundtrack

Awesome, thank you.  This music is actually quite creepy outside the context of the game; I think I'm going to play this in my car the next time I'm driving someone around and see how freaked out they get.

oraculorafa

I just finished the game and created an account to express how I loved it! I'm a Disney comics collector, I've been reading the comics for decades, and you really seemed to know about the characters to develop a meaningful story. The art style combined with the game atmosphere, also the soundtrack, you did a great work. Here in the forum you don't seem to receive so much feedback, but for you to know, your game is mentioned in the "underground" disney scene in several countries, like mine, friends from Brazil recommended it. The players won't be so close of you, but a sequel would be highly appreciated.

Thank you again for the great experience I had playing it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk