SLEUTH

Started by monkey424, Thu 10/12/2020 11:47:47

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey424

Forget Holmes. Forget Poirot.
Detective Daniel Wilkins is the man for the job!

SLEUTH (2020) is a rebooted "idiotic point and click" version of the original 1983 text-based “whodunit” DOS game of the same title. A murder has taken place at Bastard Estate and you must interrogate the resident houseguests to find the murderer. Be quick, or else the murderer may decide to get rid of you first! As is customary in these sort of detective games, you should also find the murder weapon for good measure.

Game page --> HERE

Thanks again to all those who helped me with this project!

Enjoy!

CaptainD

Congrats on the release mate, I know it's been a hard slog!!

Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Woohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Frodo

Huge congrats on the release.   :grin:

Danvzare

It's about time you released this!  :-D
Congratulations. Hopefully now I'll actually be able to complete the game (I couldn't get very far in the 1983 original).

EDIT: Whoa! 345mb! That's huge!

CaptainD

Whoa hadn't noticed the file size, did you use WAV files for all the voicing?!?!?

monkey424

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 10/12/2020 20:51:15
Whoa hadn't noticed the file size, did you use WAV files for all the voicing?!?!?

Yeah, they're WAV. There's a lot of them too..

What should I do??

The Great Underground Empire

I mean, I don't mind larger file sizes...these days, 345 MB is just a few minutes of downloading on a good connection.

If it's a real concern, you can use a site like https://www.freeconvert.com/wav-to-ogg to batch convert all wav files at once to ogg, a smaller file size format.  Just upload, convert, click Download All, unzip, and swap into your game.  It keeps the names for all converted files, so you don't have to rename EGO1, EGO2, etc.

CaptainD

Yeah what PlayPretend said really - personally for me the file size isn't much of an issue, would be a pain for people with slower internet connections though.  For my own games I always use the .ogg format.

monkey424

Forgive my naivety.

Fun fact: the game contained exactly 1500 WAV files! 8-0

They've now all been converted to OGG with the help of good old Audacity and the download file is looking a bit slimmer now at 96MB.

All good. Happy gaming!

CaptainD

Quote from: monkey424 on Fri 11/12/2020 12:44:46
Forgive my naivety.

Fun fact: the game contained exactly 1500 WAV files! 8-0

They've now all been converted to OGG with the help of good old Audacity and the download file is looking a bit slimmer now at 96MB.

All good. Happy gaming!

Good stuff!  ;-D

Looking forward to playing the game and hearing my dodgy accents in it.

Mandle

Looks like one of the Holy Grails of AGS games is now released.

DOWNLOADING!!!

monkey424

Cheers Mandle.

Fun fact #2: The majority of the graphics in this game were drawn 19 years ago! A select few files here with timestamp:

Fun fact #3: The 1983 version of the game was created by Eric N. Miller of Norland Software and he suggested a $10 contribution if you found his game entertaining. My game on the other hand is free. The ecstatic and bemused look on peoples' faces is the only reward I need. You can play the original game at Classic Reload here:

https://classicreload.com/sleuth.html

Danvzare

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 14/12/2020 08:33:44
The 1983 version of the game was created by Eric N. Miller of Norland Software and he suggested a $10 contribution if you found his game entertaining.
Is it still possible to give that $10 contribution?  ???

monkey424

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 14/12/2020 19:00:32
Is it still possible to give that $10 contribution?  ???

Assuming Eric N. Miller is still alive, then sure, why not.

There's contact info on this webpage:

http://www.calcaprt.com/share.htm

I should probably contribute $10 royalties now..

monkey424

I recently contacted Eric Miller, the developer of the original game, and he responded!

Danvzare

I bet that made his day.  :grin:

monkey424

Game soundtrack now uploaded to the host site at Game Jolt:

https://gamejolt.com/games/SLEUTH2020/564147

Twenty-two original tracks! Music primarily by Vincent Olmsted (CometMorehouse) with supplementary tracks by Andrew Smith (DrewCCU). The guys, particularly Vincent, have done an outstanding job following my vague instructions and were somehow able to produce the perfect soundtrack!

Enjoy!

monkey424

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to share this.

My nephews. Apparently they're obsessed with my game!

patos

Hi all, I am looking for a game I played in the mid to late 90's that is so similar in mechanics to Sleuth that I think it might have been either a "sequel" or port from the same author. Or somebody stole the idea for the game and made their own. I wonder if some good folks from this forum might have an idea?

The main difference I recall to this game is that it was graphical, but it was only still images for each area/character, and you moved areas by clicking blue arrows at the edge of the screen, if I remember correctly.

I played this as a wee lad and I can't for the life of me find the title. Many thanks for any help!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk