A Christmas Nightmare

Started by Alan v.Drake, Thu 24/12/2020 18:29:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan v.Drake

A Christmas Nightmare

View the game page â"€ DOWNLOAD

A kid meets Santa and wishes for a present... but nothing is what it seems.

Why are the days repeating? Who is Greg?! What is Santa hiding?!?

Help Eddy in uncovering the truth and reaching the Good Ending in this Groundhog Day meets point and click adventure!

Languages available: Eglish (default), Italian

26/12/2020 - Version 1.2 Added Spanish translation (thanks to Emilio Almirón) and a Linux version
25/12/2020 - Version 1.1 Fixed a crash when getting the umbrella
24/12/2020 - Version 1.0

Frodo

This looks brilliant.   :smiley:

Shadow1000

Is this different than the awesome game released last year? Graphics look really familiar...

splat44

It the same one released a year ago

By double check game site, it same file name and no difference here!

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 24/12/2020 21:00:28
Is this different than the awesome game released last year? Graphics look really familiar...

Cassiebsg

As far as I remember last years game (done for MAGS) wasn't a complete version, so I'm guessing this is the complete version, as arrived just in time!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 25/12/2020 00:46:27
As far as I remember last years game (done for MAGS) wasn't a complete version, so I'm guessing this is the complete version, as arrived just in time!  (nod)

How cool! That would be well worth playing again if it's an "expanded" version

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 25/12/2020 00:56:02
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 25/12/2020 00:46:27

How cool! That would be well worth playing again if it's an "expanded" version

Yep, this is 1.0, the full game (previous was 0.4 demo).  Have fun getting the Good Ending!

EDIT: upadted to v1.1. that fixes a crash when getting the umbrella

- Alan

Shadow1000

I played this game on Thursday night. Here are my thoughts:

Excellent job at capturing and recreating the magic of Christmas in a game! Everything from the story to the graphics to the characters to the music are to perfection. Great puzzles that make you think but are very solvable and enjoyable. Amazing transition back and forth from the magic world to the "real" world creating a really immersive and compelling experience. What a wonderful way to spend Christmas eve.

I was all ready to open the presents on Christmas morning! Amazing job at recreating the proverbial excitement of a kid opening gifts when...

Spoiler
...white screen that said that I screwed up somewhere and it's game over?

The only thing worse than insta-death in a game is insta-death in a game with no save option. And the only thing worse than that is for the game to come to a screeching halt without knowing where you went wrong. I'm all for multiple endings in a game and I remember last year playing this game to get a few different endings. But without knowing where I went wrong, my only option was to play again hoping to do "it" right the next time. I voted between me and myself and we decided not to try again. Had I had the option to save at different intervals and replay from different decision points then perhaps we would have decided otherwise, but as far as I know, there's no save.
[close]

So, overall, really good game but there are some factors regarding the player's experience that you may want to consider for a future revision.

sthomannch

Was fun, had a few different endings but did not try all. Very well made, agree with Shadow1000.

Played version 1.1: Umbrella? Obviously I missed something, never had a hotspot there.

Drifting alone in the sky is obviously not the best option :-)

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 27/12/2020 04:26:20
So, overall, really good game but there are some factors regarding the player's experience that you may want to consider for a future revision.

Maybe I'll add some tools to speedrun faster so it becomes less of a chore, my tip for faster progression is not mixing good and bad deeds. It takes around 10 minutes to do a run when skipping cutscenes and dialogues, maybe it can trimmed down further.

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk