Brexit....What's that?

Started by BarbWire, Sun 27/12/2020 10:52:16

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbWire

After hours of negotiations, which went on all through the night, a deal was finally brokered, on Christmas eve, between the UK and Europe.

Over four years having elapsed, since we decided to part company with our friends across the channel, and the term Brexit was first coined, it
would be time for great celebrations, you would think.  But, no....It was more like a damp squib, fizzling, than a barrage of brightly coloured
fireworks  lighting up our horizon.

Bloody coronavirus even managed to overshadow such a momentous occasion. Brexit has already retreated from the battlefield of most news
worthy item, while covid 19 and its fellow conspirators, continues to march resolutely on.

Hap....No, scratch that.  Crappy New Year everone. (I'm sure it will be  :) )

Danvzare

Quote from: BarbWire on Sun 27/12/2020 10:52:16
I'm sure next year will be better than this one. So, maybe for once a Happy New Year is indeed in order.

Also, who wants to bet that we haven't heard the last of this Brexit deal. By the way, I still hate that name. It sounds like a cross between Weetabix and Breakfast.  :-\

KyriakosCH

What do you expect when you have a union in name only, where member states detest each other and it is all there to siphon money to the core member. And then there's the UK union too  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 27/12/2020 17:32:10
And then there's the UK union too  :=

LOL! That was pretty good!

BarbWire

Hi Danvzare
As you seem optimistic that next year will be better than this I would like to wish you a Happy New Year.
You're probably right about not hearing the last of Brexit. I imagine the fine print will be scrutinised at length.
I like your analogy of Brexit  :)  The point of my post was to highlight the fact that big news one day, can quickly
become no news. There was no intended political reference, which some people seem to have missed. ??? 

Reiter

Quote from: BarbWire on Sun 27/12/2020 10:52:16

We do not know yet, after all. 'Have a little faith, baby, have a little faith'. It might be lovely! Or at least enlightening.

On the matter at hand, I am still baffled by the whole proceedings. That it happened - HOW it happened - and what is about to happen now. Particularly that it carries such a stupid name. Danzvare is right. It does sound like a weetabix breakfast. And o! how fitting! The worst of two worlds! Dreary, dry and crunchy, the way to start the day for someone who have no care for it.

Happy new year, all the same! Things may be looking up.

BarbWire

Happy New Year, Reiter.  Forever the pessimist (That way when things actually go right, it is so rewarding) I doubt the Covid situation will be any better.

You don't like Weetabix?  I have it every morning because it keeps me regular. You probably could have done without this information, but I thought I
would tell you anyway  :-[

After reading your indepth post on the banning of books I'm surprised you don't understand the concept of Brexit. I thought that would be a doddle in comparison. :)

Reiter

Nonetheless, I wish you the most splendid new year!

As for breakfast, I must admit that I am not a good breakfasteer. Tea and tobacco is the usual fair, perhaps some biscuits and olives. I just do not have an appetite in the morning. My body wakes up long after I do. Still, breakfast habits are intriguing. That Forest Gump fellow should have expanded his shoe theorem to include breakfasting. Weetabix are nothing for me, not while there are digestive biscuits.

As for Brexit, I admit that I am far out of my depth. Books and their importance I know (and write Leviathanian posts about), but this matter is well beyond my horisons. I still wonder what posessed Mr Cameron to hold an over-simplified Aye/Nay plebicite on such a complicated matter. I can understand that Tom, Dick and Harry did not know the complexities of the Union systems and its implications, but I jolly well expect a prime minister to know just what a tangle politics can be. It amuses me. I wonder if they have a leaking gas line at No. 10. Or if the cat snuck into the office and forged the decision to ensure less import duty on tuna.

BarbWire

Thank you for the good wishes, Reiter.  Tea is a necessity at breakfast, but a smoke and a good cough I could do without.
I blame it all on Cameron, too. We've had four years of uncertainty, with nobody knowing what the hell was going to happen.
I wouldn't put anything past the cat at No.10. The other day TV viewers witnessed him dashing across the road and pouncing
on a unsuspecting pigeon. Luckily it got away. Good job he negotiated a good tuna deal.  (laugh)

TheFrighter

So it's settled.

First thing: a stop to the Erasmus Programme and student exchange from/to UK.  >:(

_

KyriakosCH

I think the loss of Eu student revenue will be more crucial, tbh. Can't see those Eu students choosing to go to british universities financially making up for the loss of the overwhelming majority who won't. Tuition fees are ridiculous  8-0

Due to phony Tony, I also had to pay tuition fees, but at the time it was 1000 pounds/year.
Still made a very negative impression to me, cause it felt like I was just paying for a private school, not being at university, while the university of Essex supposedly is a good one for philosophy/literature.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk