MAGS January “Under the Sea” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/01/2021 15:51:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS January?

Shoaly You Can't be Serious  - by CaptainD
2 (25%)
In Search of Marina - by Slasher and Racoon
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 15/02/2021 03:25:58

Stupot

Topic: Under the Sea
Chosen by TheBitPriest

The winner of MAGS January is In Search of Marina by Slasher and Racoon

Shoaly You Can't be serious!
by CaptainD

In Search of Marina
by Slasher and Racoon

With many of us stuck in the gloomy grey of winter, it might be nice to dream about coral reefs and brightly colored fish!

The sky's the limit! Except instead of sky, let's do sea water!

You might make a game about exploring a sunken pirate ship, finding Atlantis, discovering a Lovecraftian horror, piloting a cold-war era submarine, or even dancing with singing lobsters. The only requirement is a significant part of the game is under the sea. It doesn't have to be tropical. You may be indoors in a vessel or facility. You may also start topside, as long being under the sea is a major component of the game.

Pre-made assets are allowed.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pell

I'm in if I can get the AGS editor installed in a VM. I don't remember what all I did last year, but my attempts to install dot Net in Wine yesterday went unrewarded.

Edit: It looks like I got it working. See you all on the 31st.

The Great Underground Empire

Heh, this gave me a funny idea to explore. I'll see if I can come up with something good.

CaptainD

I have an idea and some time off work, so... Hoping I can do something.

Intense Degree

Hmmm, I do have a sort of idea but don't know whether I will have time. :undecided:

Count me in as a "possibly" I suppose?

Slasher

Racoon

Does someone feel like teaming up? I would like to do arts and animation, but I don´t have time to make a whole game on my own this month.

Slasher

Quote from: Racoon on Sun 03/01/2021 19:52:47
Does someone feel like teaming up? I would like to do arts and animation, but I don´t have time to make a whole game on my own this month.
Sure.  Pm me if you would like to team up and do artwork and share ideas etc..

I have some main ideas...

Slasher

Bleh...had what seemed like a good idea, then tapped myself out really quickly.  But I did develop the little guy below, Morp.  He's a blob that can shapeshift into anything small enough for him to absorb.

Mainly wanted to make a game with zero text or dialogue, focus on art and animation, play with Photoshop and After Effects.  His swim cycle animation is adorable.

But 99% of the puzzles I was coming up with were a variant on "what kind of food will lure this undersea creature over", lol.

Anyways, I'm out.  Good luck everybody!

pell

Mine will involve pirate treasure, but I have a few twists from the norm in mind if I can work them out.

CaptainD

Okay so far I have a 1 or 2 player game with up to a thousand fish, which if you swim close enough to them they will join your shoal and swim with you,  The core mechanics are more or less there, I need to add sharks and stuff.  The fish themselves are placeholder (despite being very small, they'll still look better when I create some proper sprites!)

Blondbraid

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 05/01/2021 18:54:24
Okay so far I have a 1 or 2 player game with up to a thousand fish, which if you swim close enough to them they will join your shoal and swim with you,  The core mechanics are more or less there, I need to add sharks and stuff.  The fish themselves are placeholder (despite being very small, they'll still look better when I create some proper sprites!)
I'm reminded of the Swedish folklore on the Giant oarfish, which is called Herring-King in Swedish exactly because people thought they had the ability to make schools of fish follow them, like an army following a king.  There's no chance you'd feature one of them in the game? :)

CaptainD

Unfortunately I think the giant oarfish is a too big for my game!!  (Maybe a future DLC?  ;))

The game's really starting to take shape now, made some small fishes and also sharks to eat the fishes if you don't avoid them.  It plays pretty well, will have to see what else I can add to it.

Oh and I've come up with a name - "Shoaly You Can't Be Serious!:-D

Ponch

CaptainD, that looks really cool.

PlayPretend, don't give up. That sounds like a cool concept. Who cares if the puzzles are mostly variations on a theme. It's MAGS, after all There is a rich history of "I had this one neat idea for a game and this is what I came up with."  :=

Also, pencil me in as a possible entry. I have an idea, but I don't know if I'll have time to develop it properly.
Spoiler
It would involve some cheesecake shots of women in bikinis, so I hope that will motivate me enough to see it through.  (laugh)
[close]

CaptainD

It's amazing what taking a week off work can do... my game is essentially feature-complete now and plays really smoothly. Just a few little improvements to make and I think it's probably ready to go.

Ponch:  Thanks for the encouragement. :)  I've made a command decision, though - I'm taking a break from game making for a while to boost my skills.  I really want to learn how to digitally paint and grow as an artist and animator.

It's nice being able to mash together and mod other people's work (and steal heavily from Vecteezy.com), but I want to make my own quality stuff.  I want my games to be pro-level art-wise when I come back.

I'll probably be hanging out more in the critiquing forums until then. :)  Cheers and best of luck to everybody here!

CaptainD

I've released mine:

Shoaly You Can't Be Serious is a fast and fun 1 or 2 player arcade game in which you gather as many fish to yourself as possible - but be careful!  Sharks, nets and electric eels will hinder your progress to become the boss fish!

AGS Games Page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2508-shoaly-you-can-t-be-serious-mags-version-

I'm really pleased with how this game came out so I hope you have fin... er fun with it!

All the best to everyone still making entries.

Slasher

Hi,

Racoon and I have teamed up to bring you:
In search of Marina,
An underwater adventure.

Game is soon to be tested....

Slasher

Hi,

Racoon and I will soon bring you:
In search of Marina,
An underwater adventure.

Game is being tested....

Shadow1000

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 11/01/2021 19:33:25
I've released mine:

Shoaly You Can't Be Serious is a fast and fun 1 or 2 player arcade game in which you gather as many fish to yourself as possible - but be careful!  Sharks, nets and electric eels will hinder your progress to become the boss fish!

AGS Games Page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2508-shoaly-you-can-t-be-serious-mags-version-

I'm really pleased with how this game came out so I hope you have fin... er fun with it!

All the best to everyone still making entries.

When I click the link it gets blocked (I assume by my antivirus). Is there an alternative download site?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk