Using ags for interactive comics.

Started by Furwerkstudio, Fri 30/07/2021 03:39:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Furwerkstudio

I remember years and years ago when this show from Canada called the Anti-gravity Room would come onto the Sci-fi channel and there was a segment about comics on CD rom, it stuck with me for years and I tried to copy that style.

I had made some digital comics in the past, and found honestly AGS is the best for this style of comic because I did try Renpy, but it was very difficult to arrange regions and juggling dictionaries and instead I prefer object and hotspot interactions because it makes swapping word balloons much, much easier.

I thought I post this to bring up the subject.

Danvzare

I agree. I think AGS would be perfectly suited for making a digital comic of some kind. It's ridiculously easy to set up cutscenes and such, so I can easily imagine how you'd make a digital comic.  (nod)

The thing is though, I've never liked the idea of digital comics like those. At what point does it simply become easier and more entertaining to just make a game?

Furwerkstudio

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 30/07/2021 14:24:41
I agree. I think AGS would be perfectly suited for making a digital comic of some kind. It's ridiculously easy to set up cutscenes and such, so I can easily imagine how you'd make a digital comic.  (nod)

The thing is though, I've never liked the idea of digital comics like those. At what point does it simply become easier and more entertaining to just make a game?

That, I can't answer for others but I can answer for myself.

I love the aesthetic of what people consider comic art, I love using word and thought balloons and narration boxes to create something different. Plus it kind of plays to my strengths of heavy inks and B&W shading.

But yeah, I'm planning on making a game that just happens to have heavy comic book elements, or rather something more akin to Stan Sakai/Alan Davis art as an aesthetic choice.

Cassiebsg

Why not joying both and make a unique looking game? :)
Adding dynamic elements from comic books with adventure game is bound to give a good game, assuming you can get a good story in there.
Kind of like Max Payne did, though they kept the comic effect mostly on the cut scenes.
Make the action happen in each comic "square" and then move scenario by moving to the next "square". Probably a good way to use cameras and viewports, and zooming in on the square where the player currently is, and zooming out and then in to the next one...Could be fun!  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

FormosaFalanster

Try the last game we did, it was said to be a hybrid of a graphic novel and an adventure game :) everything is possible with AGS if you appropriate the system and start using it your way. There has been tons of different kind of games done with it already, there may even be something like what you wanted to do!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk