AGS Awards 2020 - Ceremony on April 17th (19:00 BST)!

Started by cat, Sat 02/01/2021 19:34:24

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

AGS Awards 2020

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the event where you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2020. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!

Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

The awards are over! Congratulations to all winners!

Huge thanks to Snarky and Kastchey who did the awards ceremony.

The winners are:

Best Game Created with AGS
Urban Witch Story

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Urban Witch Story

Best Writing
Urban Witch Story

Best Character
"Billy Masters" from Billy Masters Was Right

Best Gameplay
Urban Witch Story

Best Background Art
Urban Witch Story

Best Character Art
Zniw Adventure

Best Animation
Zniw Adventure

Best Music & Sound
Urban Witch Story

Best Voice Work
SLEUTH

Best Demo
Indiana Jones and the relic of the Viking

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
Barn Runner: Pucker Factor

Best Short Game
Billy Masters Was Right

Best Programming
Zniw Adventure

Best Puzzles
Billy Masters Was Right

Lifetime Achievement
cat

Best Innovation
eri0o

The awards ceremony took place on Saturday April 17th, starting at 19:00 BST.
Spoiler

The awards ceremony will take place on Saturday April 17th, starting at 19:00 BST.
(Check your local time here)

As usual, there is an AGS client to connect to the virtual ceremony.

AGS Awards Ceremony Client Download v6.0.06

Windows (.zip) â€" 289 MB [mirror]
MacOS (.zip) â€" 300 MB [mirror]
Linux (.tar.gz) â€" 292 MB [mirror]

Once extracted, the client is about 500 MB in size.

You can also join through text-only IRC, on the server irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk:6667, channel #awards. If you don't have an IRC client, you can use the web-client Mibbit.

There should also be a livestream and recording of the ceremony at https://www.twitch.tv/tulevikeu

[close]

Nomination Results
Spoiler

Best Game Created with AGS

Billy Masters Was Right
Broken Windows - Chapter 1
Off The Clock
Urban Witch Story
Zniw Adventure

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS

Bartolomeo, misled by circumstances, learns that appearances can be deceptive
Billy Masters Was Right
Broken Windows - Chapter 2
Off The Clock
Urban Witch Story

Best Writing

Billy Masters Was Right
Falling Dark 2: Relapse
Urban Witch Story
Zniw Adventure

Best Character

"Billy Masters" from Billy Masters Was Right
"Oomla" from Off The Clock
"Wendy Whedon" from Wendy Whedon 2 - Nature's Rejects
"Zniw" from Zniw Adventure

Best Gameplay

Billy Masters Was Right
Lord of Light
Off The Clock
Urban Witch Story

Best Background Art

Off The Clock
The Cabin
Urban Witch Story
Zniw Adventure

Best Character Art

Elia, Ilaria & the Kids Having a Good Time at the Sea (or at least they try)
Off The Clock
Zniw Adventure

Best Animation

A Prelude to an Adventure
Off The Clock
Zniw Adventure

Best Music & Sound

Falling Dark 2: Relapse
Off The Clock
Urban Witch Story
Zniw Adventure

Best Voice Work

SLEUTH

Best Demo

Absurdistan - Demo
Stellar Mess - Demo

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS

Futurama: Who Said That!?!
Rain & Snow - The Bouncer
The Ancient Art of Staying Alive
The Mind [MAGS March 2020]

Best Short Game

A Prelude to an Adventure
Billy Masters Was Right
Dangerous Derek's Livestream
Off The Clock

Best Programming

Off The Clock
SLEUTH
The Ancient Art of Staying Alive
Zniw Adventure

Best Puzzles

Billy Masters Was Right
Broken Windows - Chapter 1
Off The Clock
Zniw Adventure

Congratulations!

[close]

How do the AGS Awards work?
(This is information mostly for new members, same procedure as every year)

Spoiler
Every year, the AGS community embarks on a quest to find the best games made in the last year. All games are eligible, that were added to the AGS Database in the year 2020. There is a For Your Consideration thread where authors can promote their games and players get a good overview what might be worth playing.

The awards are a two-step process: First there is a nomination phase where all community members can nominate the eligible games in several categories (it will be the same categories as last year). The top five games of each category make it to the voting (as long as they've received at least five nominations). Again, all members of the community can vote on their favourite games.
The final result is then announced in a live ceremony that can be joined either with a special client or any regular irc client.

Party like it's 1990 in this thread!
[close]

Ponch

Thanks once again for being the official awards wrangler, Cat Kastchey and Snarky!  :smiley:

Edited!  :=

cat

To be honest, Kastchey and Snarky will be taking over a lot of the wrangling. Due to real life commitments, I don't have that much time anymore.

cat

Have you played some of last year's games already? Are you ready to nominate?

cat

Nominations will start soon - how are you progressing with playing the games?

KyriakosCH

How do nominations work? I was under the illusion that it'd be enough for myself to suggest my game in the other thread. But maybe I need to pay someone to nominate it  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Quoting the first post (maybe I should not put this information in hide tags, but I thought everyone knows how it works already)

Quote from: cat on Sat 02/01/2021 19:34:24
How do the AGS Awards work?
(This is information mostly for new members, same procedure as every year)

Every year, the AGS community embarks on a quest to find the best games made in the last year. All games are eligible, that were added to the AGS Database in the year 2020. There is a For Your Consideration thread where authors can promote their games and players get a good overview what might be worth playing.

The awards are a two-step process: First there is a nomination phase where all community members can nominate the eligible games in several categories (it will be the same categories as last year). The top five games of each category make it to the voting (as long as they've received at least five nominations). Again, all members of the community can vote on their favourite games.
The final result is then announced in a live ceremony that can be joined either with a special client or any regular irc client.

Ponch

Quote from: cat on Sat 23/01/2021 19:44:45
Nominations will start soon - how are you progressing with playing the games?
Working my way through the backlog as quickly as I can.

KyriakosCH

I nominated, but I should tell you that the code didn't allow me to just nominate a few games in the "game and character" category... Apparently one had to fill every option there - which I am sure wasn't the original intention  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

TheFrighter

Same problem here. It don't work even for the games with the character name in the title.

_

Kastchey

Just like last year, I have created a Google sheet with all the titles eligible for this year's awards, the links and some basic data.

If anyone would like to use it, please make a copy of the spreadsheet to your own Google or local drive - the shared version is read only for obvious reasons.
There's a lot of blanks in the Voice Work and Genre columns because my own backlog is still huge, but I will be updating it as I go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GyM_bHoubtqz3LJFq6lIuBIAAQNWh57yE_N2vvVHEtk/edit?usp=sharing

I hope it helps some of you to keep track of the games played!

Just keep in mind, the above link is only a reference spreadsheet, in order to nominate you need to go here:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/awards/nominate/

AGA

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 28/01/2021 08:39:27
I nominated, but I should tell you that the code didn't allow me to just nominate a few games in the "game and character" category... Apparently one had to fill every option there - which I am sure wasn't the original intention  :=
Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 28/01/2021 09:02:29

Same problem here. It don't work even for the games with the character name in the title.

_

Fixed that now.

cat

Thanks AGA for setting up the nominations!

Nominations have started!

Use the link in the the forum banner to select the games you deem worthy in each category.

Please let us know if you encounter any problems with the nomination page.

Nominations will close at 23:59 GMT on Sunday 28 February 2021.

Remember, you don't have to play all games to nominate. If you have played a game and liked the puzzles, nominate it! Just make sure that you nominate the games you have played in the appropriate categories and not go fanboy all over for a single game.
If you are not sure which games to play and what categories to nominate, check out the For Your Consideration thread.

lorenzo

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 28/01/2021 18:56:34
Just like last year, I have created a Google sheet with all the titles eligible for this year's awards, the links and some basic data.
Thank you very much, Kastchey! It's always very useful. :)

Monsieur OUXX

As always, thanks so much for the whole team who is painstakingly curating all this event -- listing, sorting, advertising, programming, etc! Thank you cat, thank you all.

EDIT: This year I've decided to soldier through and try all of them. It already took me 2 hours to try the first 3 ones  :-D 8-0 :=

cat

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 02/02/2021 08:21:53
EDIT: This year I've decided to soldier through and try all of them. It already took me 2 hours to try the first 3 ones  :-D 8-0 :=
That's what I call dedication - great effort! It is very appreciated  :)

For those of you who cannot play all games, here are some ideas I collected last year on how to tackle nominations:

• Play the games as soon as they come out and takes notes. This is IMHO the best option.
  • Play the games promoted in the For your consideration thread. Here the games are nicely presented and you can easily choose the ones that appeal to you.
  • Watch let's plays of the games on Youtube. This is also a valid option if you can't or don't want to buy a commercial game.
  • Play only a part of some games. You can probably judge the quality of sprites and background as well as voice acting within the first 10 minutes of playing.
  • Only play games you are interested in. No interest in demos or non-adventure games? Don't play them and focus on other things.
  • Absolutely no time to play games? Just think about the games you have played during last year and only nominate them in appropriate categories.

Remember, nominating does not mean that you have to play all games. Nominating a game for a certain category does not mean you think it is superior to all other games, it just means that the game is very good at a certain aspect.

heltenjon

I'm using Kastchey's form, and it's a great help. Thanks! However:

Is there a list of what games are considered demos/which games of this year also have eligible demos listed as downloads?

Is there a list of which games have voice work?

I tried the search function with parameters in the games section, but it isn't foolproof. These two categories above have the fewest games to choose from, all the more important that none are overlooked.

Kastchey

Glad to hear you find it useful!

I think I have captured all the demos in the spreadsheet. As for voice work, no, unfortunately there is no indication in the database so I've only managed to mark a few I know of (my backlog is HUGE this year...). I'll happily accept some help - if someone knows of any other games eligible for this year's awards that have voice work, please post a list here and I'll update the spreadsheet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk