Background Blitz: Second Chance - RESULTS

Started by lorenzo, Fri 08/01/2021 21:59:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

SECOND CHANCE

Since I wasn't sure about what topic to choose, this time you get to decide what to draw! You can pick any of the previous themes used in the Background Blitz, directly from this list.

Of course, you'll need to tell us what topic you chose. ;) If you already started, but didn't finish, a background for that particular topic, you may use some sketches that you did. But I'd prefer if the background itself was all new.

Many thanks to Sinitrena from whom I shamelessly copied borrowed the topic idea (and even the title), and who also compiled the master list!

Deadline: 31th January 2021.

Voting:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Good luck! ;-D

Creamy

I tried a painting off the cuff on the last theme â€" tropical.

lorenzo

Lovely background, Creamy!
It has a nice sense of depth and makes you want to explore the rest of the land! Many different items to interact with too.

Racoon

That is beautiful Creamy! I love that it is hand drawn.

Creamy

Thanks  :)

I like the mix of hand drawings and numeric colors in your games too, Raccoon and lorenzo.

Sinitrena

You made it through the mountains, you faced the jungle, you solved countless ancient mysteries - all on your way to the old Temple of the religion of the CUP. Of course, you assumed it would be blue, but...

[imgzoom]https://s12.directupload.net/images/210117/cjv3d3dw.png[/imgzoom]

For both Ex-Society and Temple. I had a sketch before but there were too many things I didn't like, so I started from scratch.

lorenzo

Very nice entry, Sinitrena! I really like the temple and there are so many opportunities for exploration and puzzles (the coloured symbol and buttons, the door, etc).

--

Two weeks left!

Racoon

The theme is "Glowing".

I worked waaay to long on this one, but at one point it just gets messier instead of better. Anyways, I think as a kid, I would have loved this.

lorenzo

Nice, dreamy atmosphere! I really like the colour choices, and the animation adds some life to the scene.

Sinitrena

Very spooky! For people to lazy to search, here's the link to the original topic of Glowing.

lorenzo

lorenzo

Voting!

Entries:

1. Creamy. Theme: Tropical.

2. Sinitrena. Themes: Ex-Society, Temple.

3. Racoon. Theme: Glowing.

Voting categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place? Is it scary/eerie enough? Would you pass the night alone in it?

Voting ends on the 6th of February 2021.

Sinitrena

Quote from: lorenzo on Mon 01/02/2021 08:53:46
Voting ends on the 6th of January 2021.

I'm sorry, we had to suspend our time-travel lessons last year.  :P

Concept: Both backgrounds tell a story in their own right, though very differnt ones and with a different language, so to speak. Creamy's entry gives us the impression of an island in the carribbean right away (even without the scroll); the cannon, the telescope, the ship in the bay all just about scream pirate. Racoon's entry, on the other hand, has a more limited scope for their story, which is more conveided through atmosphere here. The fireflies that are so strangely limited to these globes in the tree trunks and the unusual colour scheme give this background a very mysterious vibe, like walking into a magical forest, and due to the bridge or pier, it almost seems like a transition into a differnt world (though we don't see from where this transition originates, so it might be just a path through a magical forest and not into one.) In the end, I slightly prefer Creamy's pirate bay here, though by a very small margin.

Playability: I already mentioned above that Racoon's bridge gives me the impression of a transition, which makes it also seem like a transition from a playability aspect. It seems like a screen to walk through, not interact with. Such screens are certainly not wrong in any game and they often add depth to a game world, though it leaves less things to interact with. Althrough, there certainly are some: the fireflies, the trees, the forest in the background, the water, ect... As for Creamy's island, this screen reads like a splash screen to me, at least more than a background to interact with. This is mainly due to the scroll at the bottom and the bird that just arrives at its nest, so it should be moving but isn't. Additionally, it almost looks like an overview of things to come, locations to visit, like the hill in the middle (that is the focus here) or the bay itself or the volcano. I have to go with Creamy again, for the elements that might be interact-able, like the cannon or sword and the more intersting walk areas.

Artistic Execution: I found both other categories difficult to decide, but here it's a fairly clear win for Racoon for me. It looks beautiful, stunning even. That isn't to say that Creamy's entry looks back, though I have to admit that I'm not a fan of this specific style.

lorenzo

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 01/02/2021 09:42:43
I'm sorry, we had to suspend our time-travel lessons last year.  :P
What, you don't want to dust off your time machine just to vote?
Why do I always put the wrong date? (laugh)

Thanks, I've corrected it.

Creamy

Concept: Each has a neat concept. I'll go with the one that feels more magical: Racoon's forest.

Playability: both pictures are perfectly playable. Maybe Sinitrena's picture is more interactive.

Artistic Execution: Sinitrena's picture is readable but Racoon's picture is easier on the eyes.   

Racoon

My votes go to Creamy. I really like that there are so many things to discover on it and it is beautifully painted. Makes me want to do a game with watercolour backgrounds.

lorenzo

RESULTS!

• 1st place: Creamy's tropical island!
  • 2nd place: Racoon's glowing forest!
  • 3rd place: Sinitrena's ancient temple!

Thank you for participating! :cheesy:

Sinitrena

Congratulations Creamy!
I'm looking forward to the next round.

Creamy

Muchas Dank. I'll try to come up with something good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk