3D scanner app (Android)

Started by Mouth for war, Wed 17/11/2021 21:10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey guys!

So i just installed a 3d scanner app on my phone. Here's my first attempt and I know it looks quite awful but I think it has potential. Does anyone have any tips to share when it comes to scanning with your phone? When you rotate around the object it's impossible to hold the phone steady and I suspect that has a serious impact on the scanning quality. Should I get some kind of a turning platter or something to make the object rotate while I stand still?
I'll be thankful for any tips you've got! :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

dactylopus

That's really cool!  It's pretty clear to me that it's an elephant statue.  Using a turntable and a tripod are going to work best for you.  Which app are you using?

Gilbert

I never knew we're already at a point where casual 3-D scanning is possible with just a "normal" phone.
This elephant model is very recognisable and I'm amazed at what can be done without dedicated instruments.
* Gilbert heads to investigate.

Since these apps would use orientation information of each taken photo from the phone (I think), it's probably not as important to hold the phone steadily, unless you're so unsteady that makes every shot out-focus then the texture can be very blurry.

Most(?) of these apps arrange the shots on a hemispherical dome, so objects with a flat base work best. That's probably why the elephant's legs and its trunk are fused into a block with the spaces. Some apps allow you to scan another model by putting the object in a different orientation (like putting the elephant sideway or upside down) and then merge the models to solve these problems(probably a paid feature though).

Mouth for war

It's an app i found in the google play store. It was simply called 3D scanner :-D

Yeah it's pretty cool that a simple phone can be used like this :-)

dactylopus

Interesting, I'll have to find it and try it out!

Darth Mandarb

A few decades ago (or it was last year?)... time has no meaning anymore.

Anyway... I dabbled with photogrammetry using Meshroom and my DSLR.

It wasn't overly complicated and the results were really quite stunning. Discounting Meshroom's processing time it took very little time for me to get my models into Blender.

I haven't gotten back to it in awhile but my intention is to "scan" in my old GIJoe and Star Wars toys, 3D print them, and make toys for my kids (they love my old toys but I'm hesitant to let them play with them as they are old (like me) and are more fragile than they used to be). Bright and even lighting is the key (to avoid shadows in the texture maps). I want to build a custom capture rig to control the lighting and position of the camera. Shouldn't be too hard.

I did try the 3D scanner app (on Android) but I found that while it worked quite well on larger objects the smaller objects were not possible to capture with enough clarity for what I wanted to do.

Still the fact that we can do that with a phone is mind-blowing.

edit
I forgot to mention that when I experimented I put an object on a turn-table thing and meshroom had a very hard time with it because the camera was still and only the object was rotating (so the background stayed the same) and I think that confused it. I think the key is moving the camera around the object so I intend to build an enclosure with specific "markers" on the walls so the software can track it easier. I suspect it probably is similar with 3D scanning apps on phones as well!

dactylopus

Yeah, from what I've been reading a lot of these apps use the positioning data from the phone in tandem with the camera to generate the 3D image, so turntables aren't really a good solution.

Mouth for war

Ah I see! That was good to know! :-)

Mandle

How about a lazy-susan arrangement but with the phone on the outer rim of the spinning platter and the object suspended from above in the middle?

dactylopus

Now there's a nice solution.

Danvzare

The thing is, could you imagine if this App was instead a program on the PC which you fed images into, instead of getting these images directly from the camera. You could throw in a whole bunch of drawings and see what it produces. It could lead to some interesting results. Imagine putting in pixel art.

Mouth for war

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 19/11/2021 12:46:18
How about a lazy-susan arrangement but with the phone of the outer rim of the spinning platter and the object suspended from above in the middle?
That's an interesting idea for sure :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk