A jab or not a jab....that is the question

Started by BarbWire, Mon 11/01/2021 10:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbWire

I don't know what the situation is in other countries, but in the UK we are being encouraged to take up the offer of
a covid 19 vaccination, when you are summoned. It will be available at GP surgeries, Pharmacies and walk in centres.
Vast amounts of people will undergo training to wield a needle. At the moment there are two Vaccines in circulation, the
Pfizer and Oxford-astrazeneca. There will be no option to choose which one is injected into you.

The Queen and Prince Phillip were innoculated on Saturday. It has not been disclosed which drug had the privilege of
being deposited into the Royal persons. No doubt a gold and diamond encrusted syringe was used, administered by the
top consultant in the country  :-D

If I do decide to chance my arm, so to speak, I would like to be given a choice. The Oxford jab is preferable, to me,
because it is manufactured in this country. Very patriotic I know. I would like it to be given by a GP or fully qualified
nurse, rather than someone with no medical qualifications whatsoever. It is not known how effective any of the drugs
will be, how long the benefits will last, or if they will work when other variants of Covid 19 appear.

So, to have the jab or not to have the jab, that is the question  :-\

Mandle

Matti

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 11/01/2021 10:55:06
I would be first in line.

Me too, but that will happen in half a year at the earliest, as I'm neither old nor "system-relevant". Here in Germany there's the BionTech/Pfizer vaccine and as of today the second approved vaccine from Moderna will be delivered, but it's all going rather slowly. Afaik we won't have a choice either but I don't care.

I don't think there's much alternative to a vaccination when it comes to handle/stop the pandemic. Also vaccines are a great thing and usually quite harmless. The fact that there are so many anti-vaccers out there (spreading lies and fear) and that the overall willingness to vaccinate oneself is rather low gives me one more reason to vaccinate myself.

Slasher

Don't forget get to purchase the 'Vaccinated' badge so everyone knows you took it..

Matti

Is that supposed to be some sort of criticism, Mr. "Truth hunter"?

WHAM

Considering how good the track record is for vaccinations in general, I'd say go for it, get the jab. The risks are tiny and the potential gains are immense, although I also have to point out how massively optimistic a lot of people are with this thing. "Back to normal by June!" is a bit of an overstatement due to the availability and distribution of the vaccine, but phrases like that are repeated by media and politicians alike because it's what people want to hear.

It's actually kind of eerie to see people in elevated risk groups, especially the older folks on a medical peer support group on Facebook I'm in, boasting how they would "never take the jab" like it's some kind of accomplishment to be proud of. Same people are telling others to not take it, without any reason really given as to why other than "well I won't, so you shouldn't either". We had one vaccine with more than usual complications with the swine flu epidemic, and ever since then it seems the very word vaccination has become a curse in some circles.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Slasher

Quote from: Matti on Mon 11/01/2021 13:59:07
Is that supposed to be some sort of criticism, Mr. "Truth hunter"?
No... Actually, it comes straight off a FaceBook NHS/Co-vid advert.. I'm only quoting...

https://www.facebook.com/CovidBadge/posts/113925860590255

KyriakosCH

I thought that pharmacies can't be used for vaccination due to the risk of anaphylactic shock?
At least afaik here it is only done in hospital/other medical centers with doctors around.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Meh, get it. What have you got to lose?

WHAM

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 11/01/2021 16:30:12
I thought that pharmacies can't be used for vaccination due to the risk of anaphylactic shock?
At least afaik here it is only done in hospital/other medical centers with doctors around.

That might vary from country to country, or maybe different vaccinations require different prep?
I mean we get a nurse to come in and jab us at the office for the seasonal flue shots and such, and I expect that will be the case with the Covid vaccine too, once it gets out to general distribution.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Frodo

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 11/01/2021 16:30:12

I got my flu jab done in the local football ground this year! 

No idea when I'll be allowed to get the vaccine.  I'm not in the over-80's group, but I do have some medical conditions.   :undecided:
But when I'm invited, I'll definitely be getting it. 

VampireWombat

Where can give give the vaccination definitely must vary from place to place. Here, the civic center was the first place I heard of. And pharmacies and a medical clinic I hadn't heard of are the only other places I know of to get them at the moment. Due to respiratory issues, I was able to get vaccinated at the clinic on Thursday. My arm hurt for like 40 hours, but I'd say it's better than the alternative.

Cassiebsg

I'm sure I'll get my vaccine, once I get offered... probably before the end of Juni (since they think they can have the entire population vaccinated by then...) and then it's probably time to start vaccines all over again...  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

In Japan they’re not even planning to start jabs until the end of February. I’ll be happy to get it so that I can go back to the UK and see my family who haven’t even met my baby yet.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 12/01/2021 03:12:28
In Japan they’re not even planning to start jabs until the end of February. I’ll be happy to get it so that I can go back to the UK and see my family who haven’t even met my baby yet.

Damn, that's a heart-tugging post, man!  :~(

BarbWire

An Update:   According to the latest news bulletin, the jab will provide five months immunity. It might not work
for everyone and those vaccinated can still carry the virus. Big deal!  I would expect better protection, over a much
longer period.

When you think of life threatening diseases that were totally eradicated, in the past, with just one injection, such as
polio, smallpox, Tuberculosis, diptheria etc. I wouldn't say this innoculation is a scientific marvel.

I realise that there was great pressure on the virologists to produce an innoculation, as soon as possible, but maybe
slow and steady wins the race.

Khris

Can you add a source?
I've spent two minutes an Google and 5 months is mentioned here but that's after catching the disease, not after getting vaccinated.

(also: jab, I'm dying to finally wear my "Vaccinated" badge)

Cassiebsg

Moderna is claiming a year with their vacine.

As for how effective they are, well, depends on a lot of factors, including you not being allergic over for it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: BarbWire on Thu 14/01/2021 14:52:20
An Update:   According to the latest news bulletin, the jab will provide five months immunity. It might not work
for everyone and those vaccinated can still carry the virus. Big deal!  I would expect better protection, over a much
longer period.
You've got to remember, that's probably only an estimate. Since I doubt anyone has been injected with it five months ago. Then of course there's mutations, so it's limited even in that capacity.
As for those being vaccinated still being able to carry the virus... uh.. yeah, that's how vaccines works. You just won't carry the virus anywhere near as long if you're vaccinated, when compared to when you're not.

Then again, I'm clearly no expert. So if someone here is better informed then me, then feel free to correct me.

BarbWire

Sorry, Khris, I couldn't actually find anything on google myself. It was on the BBC dinner time news. I am
pretty sure that's what they said, but if I am proved wrong I apologise. 

On the evening news it was reported that we now have another variant of Covid 19 in the UK. So, the South African
strain now been joined by one from Brazil.  Gloom and doom! gloom and doom!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk