A jab or not a jab....that is the question

Started by BarbWire, Mon 11/01/2021 10:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

The more grounds (read people & animals) the more it will mutate. Think I read somewhere that it mutates every 14 days... or was it less? In other words, the more it's "allowed" to run free and multiply, the more chances it has to mutate. So far these mutations seem to just be "more infectious"... just think if it mutates to "more deadly"? or "more infectious & more deadly"?  8-0

We're down to 3 more weeks of lock-down (though not as confined as other countries) until the 7th Feb, because of "the British variant" and even though the number of new infected is dropping... (but they say the number of infect by this new variant is still going up)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

Quote from: BarbWire on Thu 14/01/2021 18:31:17
Sorry, Khris, I couldn't actually find anything on google myself. It was on the BBC dinner time news. I am
pretty sure that's what they said, but if I am proved wrong I apologise.

I'm pretty sure that, as Khris says, what you heard must have been about the report that having had COVID-19 provides (about 85%) immunity for 5 months.

I find it quite amazing that researchers have been able to develop not just one, but a number of apparently effective vaccines â€" in record time â€" when we had never before been able to bring to market a vaccine for any coronavirus in humans. (As I understand it, there were only some animal vaccines and some experimental ones.) "A cure for the common cold" (a coronavirus) has been one of those missing medical breakthroughs that people have talked about for decades â€" there's even an AGS game based on that joke!

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 15/01/2021 06:40:05
"A cure for the common cold" (a coronavirus)

Or Rhinovirus, or over a hundred other kinds of virus, although Corona virus and Rhinovirus are the main 2 culprits.

I'm no expert, but I suspect that is why we don't have a "cure" or vaccine for the common cold. Its effects are too trivial for most people to make such a regimen of tests and vaccinations for so many viruses, lumped under one heading, worth the effort.

And that it's not so much that a particular "Corona virus" in and of itself offers special challenges in producing a working vaccine.

But I could be totally wrong.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 15/01/2021 06:40:05
Quote from: BarbWire on Thu 14/01/2021 18:31:17
Sorry, Khris, I couldn't actually find anything on google myself. It was on the BBC dinner time news. I am
pretty sure that's what they said, but if I am proved wrong I apologise.

I'm pretty sure that, as Khris says, what you heard must have been about the report that having had COVID-19 provides (about 85%) immunity for 5 months.

I find it quite amazing that researchers have been able to develop not just one, but a number of apparently effective vaccines â€" in record time â€" when we had never before been able to bring to market a vaccine for any coronavirus in humans. (As I understand it, there were only some animal vaccines and some experimental ones.) "A cure for the common cold" (a coronavirus) has been one of those missing medical breakthroughs that people have talked about for decades â€" there's even an AGS game based on that joke!

When there is a huge monetary incentive, you'll see many offer products :)
That said, we haven't actually *yet* seen results of those vaccines on the general population.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

WHAM

As with all vaccines, despite the rigorous testing, we'll also have to wait and see what the real effect on general populace is. Just yesterday the news here pointed out that Brazilian studies found the Chinese vaccine was 51% effective, far lower than the Chinese research had indicated, and just barely over the 50% required to be approved for use. If the actual effective rates among the population, as well as the time the vaccination is effective, are lower than hoped then herd immunity may be quite a bit of time away.

Still, in my eye this should only encourage more people to take the vaccine, in order to provide better data and understanding to the scientific community beyond that which their own tests can ever hope to achieve.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

BarbWire

Hi all
It would appear that a five month test was undertaken, during which time somebody who had had Covid 19 and built up antibodies
still had protection at the end of this period. A person immunised also had protection until the end of this period. After five months
the effect may lessen but nobody really knows by how much. So, I was kinda right. I can see us all having arms like pin cushion if
we have to have constant injections  :)

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 14/01/2021 23:45:05
So far these mutations seem to just be "more infectious"... just think if it mutates to "more deadly"? or "more infectious & more deadly"?  8-0
Here's something to think about. If it was equally as infectious, but less deadly, it would appear to be more infectious as more people would walk around without realizing that they have it, and therefore infect more people. And keep in mind that if you come down really bad or even die for that matter, you're less likely to pass it onto someone else as you'll stay in bed. So it stands to reason that mutations that are less deadly, will also be more likely to spread. Meaning as time goes by, a very infectious virus should in theory become increasingly less deadly. Or at the very least, have a longer incubation period.
Also don't forget that your body starts to build up a tolerance to it (or at the very least, those who don't die are already likely to continue to survive).

In other words. There's a reason why the common cold was so deadly to anywhere we brought it to, yet it's now considered harmless everywhere. Not to mention how plagues in the past just kind of... disappeared.

Once again though, please take all of this with a pinch of salt. And if possible, I'd rather be corrected then continue to be wrong.  :-D

Reiter

I think that I shall do what comes naturally - keep my tomato tucked in and do as I am told.

It will be a while before there will be a needle for me, but I shall take it when I am asked. Cleverer heads than mine have worked on this, after all. There does not seem to be any narcolepsy in this batch, at least.

I do detest needles, however. I am a baby when it comes to having them. It is terrifying, and I really do not want to have one. But I will have to, of course, so I will try to be a man about it. I suppose I could buy a lollipop on the way, and pretend the doctor gave it to me when I leave. I do hope the damned thing is worth it, but we shall see. EDIT: Apparently, the king and the queen had their dose today. Rather settles the matter; bring them on. I can take needles all day long.

I came out the victor in our first bout (I think), but I am quite aware that the second round may kill me all the same. This virus is a real maverick, it seems to do just about what-ever it please.

Khris

Digging this up because I finally got my first jab yesterday :-D

With Delta on the horizon I'm really glad I finally got the offer, and I'll get the second one just three weeks from now, so I'll have 95% Delta protection at around the beginning of August.

My arm is a little sore, but that's it. Go get the jab, everyone!

WHAM

Got my jab a week ago as well, arm sore for a day and a half, nothing more.

My brother apparently managed to get some degree of side effects, and wound up bedridden for a solid week, though. Apparently he got moderate covid symptoms after the jab, but fortunately he didn't need hospital care and has recovered well since.

Gotta admit they've arranged the vaccinations nicely in here. You book your time online, show up, and the whole process took 20 minutes, of which the latter 15 were sitting and waiting for the mandatory observation period in case of adverse reactions to the jab. Big halls with lots of space for social distancing, lots of staff, good instructions and guidance all around. Will be getting the second jab in September.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Danvzare

I got mine at the beginning of May. Which I still find odd, since people my age weren't supposed to be getting it until a month after I got mine.  :-\
But hey, I'm not complaining.

Khris

Yeah, same here I thought. Until they ended prioritization yesterday, apparently.

I was so happy a week ago that I managed to get an appointment at a private practice via somebody who used to work there, but right as I got home yesterday I got a notice from the vaccination center and could've gone there instead as early as today.

I hope that doesn't mean that given the low 7-day incidence here (~10) and the warm temperatures, many people are foregoing their appointments, but that's exactly what some official said is the reason for them sitting on thousands of unused doses. Goddamn fucking anti-vaxx fuckers (and by that I mean the grifters, not their victims).

Matti

I'll get my first shot in two weeks and because of the delta variant I'm quite happy about this too. I really hope a lot more people will get vaccinated over the summer, and gladly most of my friends will or already got vaccinated.

I'm definitely hoping for a better fall and winter than last year!

heltenjon

I got my first shot yesterday and feel fine. Very tidy and well-organized, I must say.

Cassiebsg

I'll be getting my second one on the 15th.  :)

My experience would have been like WHAM, except I ended up having to wait about 30 min. in a "line" that consisted of an area (where there was about 8 to 10 chairs), and you needed to self control when it was your turn...  :( The nurses/doctors come and called for "the next one" instead of pulling the names from the order in one each arrived (since by this point they had scanned our card to make sure we had an appointment). And when I sat I didn't noticed there was a row behind me (they were sitting against the back wall).  (roll) Can't say good organization was in place.  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

LimpingFish

I'm set to get my first jab in the coming weeks. We're doing it by age group here, so I have to wait until the window for mine opens up. As for organization, we've now implemented it so any pharmacy (with the proper set-up) can also administer the vaccine. I presume other countries are doing something similar?

For convenience, I'll probably go with that rather than attending the main vaccination centre.

Regardless, if you have the opportunity to get vaccinated...do it! (nod)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

No word on my jab yet.

Japan has finally kicked itself up the ass and started opening the vaccinations right up. For the longest time it was old people and healthcare workers only, and it was creeping along at a snail’s pace. But now suddenly loads of people I know, if all ages, are getting their first jabs,

In Tokyo they’ve left it up to each ward to organize their own vaccination programs. Also some companies and universities have bought a bunch of doses and have begun mass-jabbing their workers and students. My company will do no such thing, and I’m still waiting for an invitation from my local authority.

One possibility is that my wife’s employer is vaccinating their staff and it is likely to cover family, so I could get my jab that way. It’s just a matter of when.

AGA

I've had both my jabs, as have my parents; my wife will be doubled up next week.  We've been quite lucky living in Wales, with a relatively low population, where 89.6% of us have had one jab, 67.2% both.

heltenjon

In Norway it's public vaccination only. The doses are distributed geographically and each county/municipality get a number of doses when available calculated from population and some other factors. There's been some public discussion about whether one ought to prioritize areas with a higher infection rate or not. In the municipality, it's going by age, except for risk groups or people with vital jobs, like health workers.

The health workers have been phoning people who's up for a jab, making appointments, but now when it's getting too many to do that, it's done digitally. I got a text message when it was opened up for my age group, and I then could order an appointment online.

We also had a queue sitting in chairs, like Cassiebsg described, except that we had a nurse stationed who told us to move to the chairs next to the vaccination booths. I would hazard a guess that my age group are more likely to interpret "to meet on time" to be there at the time given, while the generation before us would interpret it like "be there a long time before it's your turn".  (laugh)

Hobo

Got mine as well a couple of days ago, no side effects, second shot in a month.
Good to see that so many are finally getting the chance to get vaccinated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk