the Speech stops the Audio music

Started by Dariago, Mon 11/01/2021 10:54:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dariago

Hi All,
when using the speech mechanism during Display it stops my audio music (used as background music)
This is my code:
Code: ags

aBackgroundMusic.Play(); //plays the background music
game.narrator_speech=NARRATOR;
Display("&1 text for narrator introduction"); //display the message and plays the /speech/narr1.mp3 

so the Display() works fine with the speech file, but it stops the background music... :-(
Any idea how to prevent this and make the music go on in the background?

Thanks,
Dariago

Dariago

I solved that!
the VolumeReductionWhileSpeechPlaying attribue under Audio->Music was not set properly!

Thanks to me :-)

Danvzare

Quote from: Dariago on Mon 11/01/2021 16:14:18
I solved that!
the VolumeReductionWhileSpeechPlaying attribue under Audio->Music was not set properly!

Thanks to me :-)

Thanks for posting your solution. I remember encountering the same problem years ago, and I just thought it had something to do with audio types.
It's nice to know what the actual problem was, and how to solve it.  :-D

Dariago

you know what... when digging some more I do think there is a bug here.
The VolumeReductionWhileSpeechPlaying propery suppose to get the percentage points to reduce.
So for example if the music volume is 20 and the propery value for music is 25 - the music volume will be 15 while speech is playing.
(thats what I understand)
instead - I think it reduces the number from the music volume. so in our case - there will be no music when speech is playing.
is there a place where I can report this as possibile bug?

Thanks,
Dariago

Crimson Wizard

This is just how audio volume is made. The manual is misleading when saying that it reduces volume by X percent. In reality audio type's volume is already "percentage", and this percentage value is got reduced by an absolute number.

Similarily, setting music or sound volume will override any individual channel volume instead of applying a factor. E.g. if you have channel volume = 50 and set music volume to 50 the resulting volume will not be 25 (because 50 * 0.5), but 50 again...

The whole volume system should be reworked.

Dariago

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk