right to left support in 3.5

Started by Dariago, Thu 07/01/2021 13:15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Dariago

Hi All,
I just download the new 3.5 version and opened my AGS project.
(my prevoius version was 3.4.3)
Since this is a project in Hebrew - it was marked as "Write game text Right to Left" = "True" in the general settings.
It is working fine in 3.4.3 - but for some reason it does not work on 3.5 (still shows the text left to tight)
even if I opened a new project and change this to "true" it does not work...
any idea if I missed something? or is it a bug?

Thanks,
Dariago

Crimson Wizard

Yes, this is a bug in AGS 3.5.0, it incorrectly reverses text twice in a row, so it ends up unreversed.

There should be another patch.

Crimson Wizard

EDIT: fixed version for test may be found here, in form of installer and zip archive:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4526720407568384

Dariago

Thanks for the info + fix!
Any idea when this will be 'officially' available in the main download page of the application?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dariago on Fri 08/01/2021 07:58:11
Thanks for the info + fix!
Any idea when this will be 'officially' available in the main download page of the application?

Soon, if no more critical bugs are found I'll release this as a mini update on Sunday perhaps.

Crimson Wizard

By the way, I found something funny. Text is drawn right-to-left on gui labels, but not on Buttons for instance. Was it always like that? Is it fine? Don't think anyone ever reported this :).

Dariago

Yes  I saw that and I thought its some kind of feature I don't understand... :tongue:
(I am relative new to this app...)

Crimson Wizard

It looks like a missing case, but I checked versions down to 10-years old one, and it was always the same.

Too bad I did not notice before publishing a release, but maybe this could be dealt with in later versions.
At least there's a workaround to revert string yourself when assigning to a button.

Dariago

indeed.
and by the way - here is another weird thing. when I type a Hebrew sentence in the script, for example - as a parameter to Say() or Display() - all is written and display well.
BUT, when I tried to update the script by marking a word for example - it marked the opposite word from the end of the sentence....
(I hope I explained it well now..)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dariago on Wed 13/01/2021 14:37:41
BUT, when I tried to update the script by marking a word for example - it marked the opposite word from the end of the sentence....

What do you mean by "marking"?

This feature in ags is very basic, it simply draws characters in opposite order.

Dariago

Suppose I want to change some word or a sentence - I mark the word(s) I want to change (which highlight them in blue) and then write something else.
when doing so - the opposite words are being "highlighted" in blue. if I try to highlight the first word - the last word will be highlighted.
or even without marking, just put your cursor AFTER the FIRST word and write something - it will treat it as if you put your mouse BEFORE the LAST word.
again - all under the parameter "right to left" = true. (maybe it also happen when its not - I didnt tried to write in hebrew without this parameter equals to true)

I hope I explained it well...

Crimson Wizard

Oh, you are talking about script editor, not about what happens in game?

Dariago

Indeed.
The script editor itself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk