Sprite Jam - Cat (Results)

Started by Creamy, Thu 14/01/2021 19:53:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

SPRITE JAM - CAT

That's it. Just draw me a CAT.
Because...reasons...[insert cool statement about cats being around since Ancient Egypt and a popular web search]

Guidelines:
No size, palette or style limitations.

Deadline: Sunday, the thirty first of January twenty twenty-one

Open vote after the deadline.

DBoyWheeler

Would anthros be allowed?

Creamy

*Trying to repress mental pictures of the movie Cats*

Anthropomorphic cats allowed.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 16/01/2021 10:53:37
*Trying to repress mental pictures of the movie Cats*

Anthropomorphic cats allowed.

(laugh)

Man, to be able to do these kinds of things again.  All the same, best of luck to all who enter.

Blondbraid

I know I've made this joke before, but if there's a bunch of anime girls with cat ears,
then by all laws of balance, there has to be cats with human ears somewhere.

Sinitrena

Cute, in a kinda disturbing way.  ;) Actually, the cat itself looks a bit disturbed.

Edit: and here's my entry:

[imgzoom]https://s12.directupload.net/images/210119/7xcgom9l.png[/imgzoom]
ROAR!!!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 19/01/2021 19:53:29
Cute, in a kinda disturbing way.  ;) Actually, the cat itself looks a bit disturbed.
I guess pondering the side-effects of anime tropes could make anyone feel disturbed!  :P

And nice lion, very majestic!

mkennedy

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 18/01/2021 18:16:02

I know I've made this joke before, but if there's a bunch of anime girls with cat ears,
then by all laws of balance, there has to be cats with human ears somewhere.
The hands and ears kind of make her look like a primate.

Gilbert

This is a theme that I have no reason to pass, but I have been without access to a computer at home for more than 2 years now (for very stupid reasons; don't ask) so it's hard to give this more touch-ups.

My cat in his current outfit:
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/wlH9tkY.png[/imgzoom]
(In case the direct link doesn't work:
https://imgur.com/a/TOUEl2Z)

That green bag came from a Santa Claus stuffed doll. We originally intended to put it there for fun and remove it afterwards, but somehow we forgot about it and he didn't seem to mind, so...

Blondbraid

Quote from: mkennedy on Wed 20/01/2021 04:30:26
The hands and ears kind of make her look like a primate.
True, I added the gloves because I've seen some catgirls have fussy cat-paw gloves, but I also noticed it made the cat look more monkey-like.
So much of the cat silhouette is recognized by the ears too, that's what weirds me out when I see Scottish fold cats.

Creamy

(laugh)

Fantasies don't make a lot of sense and can give way to funny extrapolations - like these ones about the Little Mermaid or centaurs. Yet authors often stick with the usual canons.

That's a pretty big cat  :P

It reminds me of my nephews and nieces on their first school day.

Gilbert

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 20/01/2021 21:44:43
like these ones about the Little Mermaid

9. Speaking of fish anatomy, wouldn't it be funny if Ariel was reversed? Like human on bottom, fish on top? That's not really a question for Disney. Let's get back on track.

Actually in Chinese or Japanese, a mermaid is usually called, literally, "Human Fish", so a "Fish Human" (or "Fish People" or "Fish Man", depending on how you transliterate the characters) is exactly that (or sometimes, just a fish with human limbs popping out). This is usually just used for comedic effect in Japanese media, nothing serious.

ANYWAY, back to topic. We're talking about... cats, right?
This is the real thing to help you erase the images of fish-human hybrids from your mind:

Blondbraid

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 21/01/2021 09:01:22
ANYWAY, back to topic. We're talking about... cats, right?
This is the real thing to help you erase the images of fish-human hybrids from your mind:
Aww, so cute!

Misj'

This one is quite personal for me.

A few days before Christmas one of our cats died. He was survived by his brother.
As a matter of fact, my previous entry was the last drawing I made when he was still alive. He was sitting behind me on 'his' chair, while I was working on the image/animation. He was a great and remarkable cat. So yeah, this piece is in his honor. 

Normally I prefer using transparent background for my SpriteJam-entries. But to ensure the transparency of my ghostly character does not conflict with the browser-background-color, I decided to use a solid-white background (for presentation purposes) instead.

Creamy

Nice picture, Misj'
Losing a pet sucks. I think we already met these two guys before.

Misj'

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 24/01/2021 01:23:20I think we already met these two guys before.
Indeed; you've got a keen eye (and memory). They tend to pop in from time to time in Background Blitzes. It's not like you can keep cats out if they want to be included.

Blondbraid

I never expected to see something so touching in this thread...

Sinitrena

Quote from: Misj' on Fri 22/01/2021 20:30:45
A few days before Christmas one of our cats died. He was survived by his brother.

Sorry to hear that. Cuddle the brother from me a bit.

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 20/01/2021 21:44:43

That's a pretty big cat  :P

What are you talking about? My poor low-res kitty is sooooo small compared to all these high-res monsters!  ;)

Beautiful entries so far, everyone.

DBoyWheeler

@Misj' Yowch!  Right in the feels!

@Gilbert I'm getting a kind of "Nyan Cat meme" vibe from your entry.  And I guess that can be a good thing.

Reiter

This cat has been languishing on my hard-drive for years. With this competition, I thought it high time to re-design the sprite, with the aid of some sketches. Here is the concept sheet.

Agent Strom, the kind of hero the Empire deserves.

I am unsure if this is a permissable entry, as the sprite is based on the most excellent Roger Ego sprite included in the also most excellent Sierra-esque beginner's template. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with it.

Tail absent, at present. I dread to animate it. I have to find some nice, light-weight program with onion skinning.

Damned good entries this leg, by the by.

My greatest participation in the grief for Mr Cat, Misj'. What a magnificent cat, and it is a very splendid image. Very moving, I say.

It is the most dreadful thing to lose a dear cat (or any sort of cat, if any other sort there be), but yet, when all is said and done, it is still worth every single moment. All cats fare well, and what is the hurt to the light they bring? My deepest sympathies for the surviving brother; treat him for me, if you have the opportunity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk