Sprite Jam - Cat (Results)

Started by Creamy, Thu 14/01/2021 19:53:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

A very dignified cat, Reiter.

QuoteI am unsure if this is a permissable entry, as the sprite is based on the most excellent Roger Ego sprite included in the also most excellent Sierra-esque beginner's template. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with it.
I can see the similarity in the lower part but that's OK for me.

QuoteTail absent, at present. I dread to animate it. I have to find some nice, light-weight program with onion skinning.
May I suggest Graphicsgale?

Misj'

Just because I really wanted to draw another cat...
and because I felt like drawing a female cat-pirate, I did.

@Creamy: if you want to limit my entries to only one, then you can ignore this image.

Sinitrena

Cool cat, you should head over to the FWC and write about her. A few pirate cats wouldn't hurt there. (Though, to be honest, the deadline is today.)

Creamy

Let her in. After all, Reiter's entry includes several sprites too  :P

However, to keep things fair I suggest that people vote for a cat, not for an author.
The cat with the most points win.

TIME TO VOTE

Please choose a cat:

Blondbraid's cat
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/ggncM0B.png[/imgzoom]

Sinitrena's "cat"
[imgzoom]https://s12.directupload.net/images/210119/7xcgom9l.png[/imgzoom]

Gilbert's cat
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/wlH9tkY.png[/imgzoom]

Misj's mourning cat
[imgzoom]http://www.banneret.nl/images/doodles/20210131_SpriteJam_Mourning_Cat_BandS.png[/imgzoom]

Reiter's cat
[imgzoom]https://s1.imagebanana.com/file/210126/lptB6MxT.png[/imgzoom]

Misj's cat-pirate
[imgzoom]http://www.banneret.nl/images/doodles/20210131_SpriteJam_T_the_Pirate_Cat.png[/imgzoom]

DEADLINE: February 8th

Sinitrena

Very nice and very different kitties to chose from (who makes you chose cats? They are all so nice and cuddly. That's just evil!).

Blondbraid: I already mentioned that I think the cat looks a bit disturbed. The clothes, gloves and ears give me the impression that this sprite shows a spell gone wrong. Someone tried to transform a human into a cat and it didn't quite work. Explains the disturbed look on her face, at least. Unfortunately, since mkennedy mentioned that she looks like a primate, I can't unsee it, even though I didn't get this impression the first time looking at her.

Gilbert: Cute cat, one you want to cuddle immediately (and then take off the bag - I hope your real life one isn't still wearing this thing). She looks like she's ready to go on an adventure! I can imagine her as the main character in a cute little children's game. I can't say what exactly it is, but her tail looks a bit off.

Misj: Mourning cat: Poor kitty. This picture gives you the feels and there's so much story in this scene. That's probably the tiny bit of criticism I have here, that it looks a bit too much like a picture, not so much like a sprite.
Misj: Cat Pirate: So much detail, love it. It took me a while to recognize the thing on her legs as a rat. A stronger contrast between the colour of the pants and the rat might help to make it a bit clearer.

Reiter: While a nice low-res sprite, I can't for the life of me see a cat here. This looks like a demon to me, there are just not enough cat-like elements. And the clothes make me think of a train conductor for some reason. Sorry.

Voting is difficult. It's pretty much a toss up between Misj's pirate and Gilbert's adventurer. In the end, the stronger artistic element gives the win to Misj's pirate cat for me.

Racoon

I can honestly say that I like all the cats that were created for this jam. My favorites are Reiters Pixel (were- ?)cat and Misj's pirate cat. But since I have to choose, Misj´s style and idea is a little more to my liking. I also really like the angry little mouse clinging to her leg. So my vote goes to Misj´s

Also:

Gilbert that photo of your cat is incredibly cute!

Misj´s so sorry for your loss :( pets dying is the saddest thing.
I was amazed, looking at the other artwork of you that was posted in this thread. You are a great artist.

Misj'

Thank you all for your kind words. He was such a fantastic part of our family, and we miss him every day.

Blondbraid: While I don't really understand the appeal of adding cat-features to manga-girls, I did discover, that adding more-cat is better than adding more-human. And I'm a little disturbed by the image you put into my head. That being said, I can totally see a game like this (where man-animal-hybrids are 'different-than-usual'). I will however be to scared to play it.

Sinitrena: I've never been the biggest fan of pixelart. But I can recognize the skill, effort and detail that was put into this piece; and it certainly captures a lion at low-res. I would probably try to simplify it a bit more to make it a bit easier to animate.

Gilbert: It might be the backpack, but there's a bit of a Willy Beamish vibe in there. In my mind I do keep drawing a little staircase though, to correct for his front-legs to be up in the air.

Reiter: I have to agree with Sinitrena here, in that he doesn't really give off a cat-vibe (he kinda reminds me of Disney's beast; but with the features a bit more subdued). As a sprite I don't think there's much wrong with him though.

In the end I decided on the winner based on one simple metric: which character's game would I most like to play. And that's Gilbert's adventurous cat. Because of the overall fun feel.

Reiter

Oh, goodness, look at these cool cats!

Blondbraid: It is such an amusing idea, while it is also faintly terrifying. She would be an excellent character in a game about perilous genetic splicing! It is something about the eyes.

Sinitrena: I am quite fond of low-resolution art, and that is one damned good lion, I say! I like the colouring, all the peculiar shades of... Well, lion.

Gilbert: D'awww, bless! That is a cat with a plan! It is adorable, and quite true to the original. There are so many possibilities with this character. It is very well done!

Misj: The first image is very, very moving. It is quite sweet, and it is also a splendid portrait of the cats. I think it is magnificent. The second, too, is splendid, and it has so many possibilities as a sprite and a character. The pet rat is an excellent little bonus.

Frankly, these were all magnificent (and I rather feel as if I entered a disguised rabbit at a cat show), and I think they all have splendid uses. This was a very good leg of the competition. But, as I need to decide, my favourite, by a whisker's width, is Misj's cat pirate. It is a splendid glaring of cats, all together!

I shall have to give Graphicsgale a go. It seems to be all that I need. I shall have to continue working on this sprite, however. Make the feline traits stand out somewhat more, if I can. Of course, it is his 'ambling around the house' sprite; the proper outdoor sprite would require a nice frock coat, a hat and a stick and I do not know why I do this to myself now that I see that I must animate that, too...

Creamy

Alright folks. Time to declare a winner!

Misj's cat-pirate (or is it a pirate cat?) takes the round.

Thank you all for this colorful batch

Blondbraid

Misj'

Thanks for the votes everyone. And even more for everything else!

I'll get a new Jam up this weekend (maybe even today if I get all the assets ready).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk