Bechdel test and other media analysis about discrimination

Started by TheFrighter, Sat 16/01/2021 17:44:12

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I just don't know what you expect. I repeatedly stated I had no intention to post something against you; the thread has more people than just you anyway. I also noted that I don't have anything against you :)
Maybe I felt frightened and had to bring the claws out - in such a case, please respect my safe space  :-D (and, in reality, I was just surprised you'd be in attack mode without any reason, but obviously everyone has their own views, including me and you - let's be/stay friends in the forum, and if not, let's move on  ;-D )
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Honza

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 10/02/2021 09:29:48
Spoiler
Well, seeing that context, I personally think
Spoiler
the version where the princess stays dressed sounds more thematically interesting. As for the swimsuit twist, you're right that the dynamics change with the princess dressed, though you could probably still make a comment on how the princess is honest about covering up, while the journalist pretends to be bare and transparent but hides it. Like, after successfully making the princess feel embarrassed for wanting to stay covered, she rises up to show she too is covered while just berating the princess for it.
[close]
[close]
Thanks, also starting to lean towards that option. It's "safer", makes sense and can work just as well.

As for the bubble bath in the screenshot, did you watch this Robin Hood: Men in tights scene for inspiration?

I didn't! I've never seen that. And I felt so clever for coming up with that :).

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 10/02/2021 14:50:58
You keep using words like "attack" and "jumped at" as if I was physically lunging at you and you only had a split-second to defend yourself from injury,
but in reality, the text is still there for everyone to go back to look at

I'm sorry, but I have to say I also read your first reaction to Kyriakos as aggressive and condescending.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Honza

I'm sorry, but I have to say I also read your first reaction to Kyriakos as aggressive and condescending.

I am reposting this because Honza can be used as an attack target instead of myself from now on :D

(joking, and I think the matter is resolved, anyway I meant no harm and already am over this and hope this is the same from BB too :) )

Btw, Honza, your game looks seriously cool  8-)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Honza on Wed 10/02/2021 15:09:30
If I came across as angry, it was because I've already seen a ton of nudes posted in feminist discussions as "jokes" by sexist dudes in other forums.
I've tried my best to explain my initial reaction, and maybe I was too brash in the way I said it, but I still think KyriakosCH's answers were far ruder.
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 10/02/2021 14:59:56
I just don't know what you expect. I repeatedly stated I had no intention to post something against you; the thread has more people than just you anyway. I also noted that I don't have anything against you :)
I didn't think the first image of the painting was meant for me specifically, but I did see it as a bad joke trying to derail and be contrarian in the context of this discussion.

What I did take personally, however, was you basically calling me a pervert and then comparing me to a Saudi fundamentalist in your replies,
and if you want to prove to me that you don't have anything against me I want you to acknowledge this and apologize for it if you expect me to forgive your comments.
Maybe I felt frightened and had to bring the claws out - in such a case, please respect my safe space  :-D (and, in reality, I was just surprised you'd be in attack mode without any reason, but obviously everyone has their own views, including me and you - let's be/stay friends in the forum, and if not, let's move on  ;-D )
I feel like I've already said this a bunch of times before, but it is common knowledge emojis are used to show somebody is joking in online comments, and if you want to make a sincere attempt to send out an olive branch,
you really shouldn't joke about it or present a smirk while doing so. Also, don't pretend I'm arguing for no reason and stop treating everything I say as an attack on you, and then I'd be willing to move on.
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 10/02/2021 15:12:45
I am reposting this because Honza can be used as an attack target instead of myself from now on :D
I really hope you're not going to try and go "don't pick me, pick him instead" on Honza here.

In case you've missed it, I don't go around attacking random people for no reason, no matter how much you try to paint me in that light.

Blondbraid

Spoiler
Well, seeing that context, I personally think
Spoiler
the version where the princess stays dressed sounds more thematically interesting. As for the swimsuit twist, you're right that the dynamics change with the princess dressed, though you could probably still make a comment on how the princess is honest about covering up, while the journalist pretends to be bare and transparent but hides it. Like, after successfully making the princess feel embarrassed for wanting to stay covered, she rises up to show she too is covered while just berating the princess for it.
[close]
[close]
Thanks, also starting to lean towards that option. It's "safer", makes sense and can work just as well.
It will be interesting to see it play out in the full game, best of luck with it!
As for the bubble bath in the screenshot, did you watch this Robin Hood: Men in tights scene for inspiration?

I didn't! I've never seen that. And I felt so clever for coming up with that :).
I guess that's convergent evolution in action!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 10/02/2021 15:41:57
If I came across as angry, it was because I've already seen a ton of nudes posted in feminist discussions as "jokes" by sexist dudes in other forums.
I've tried my best to explain my initial reaction, and maybe I was too brash in the way I said it, but I still think KyriakosCH's answers were far ruder.
I didn't think the first image of the painting was meant for me specifically, but I did see it as a bad joke trying to derail and be contrarian in the context of this discussion.

What I did take personally, however, was you basically calling me a pervert and then comparing me to a Saudi fundamentalist in your replies,
and if you want to prove to me that you don't have anything against me I want you to acknowledge this and apologize for it if you expect me to forgive your comments.
I feel like I've already said this a bunch of times before, but it is common knowledge emojis are used to show somebody is joking in online comments, and if you want to make a sincere attempt to send out an olive branch,
you really shouldn't joke about it or present a smirk while doing so. Also, don't pretend I'm arguing for no reason and stop treating everything I say as an attack on you, and then I'd be willing to move on.
I really hope you're not going to try and go "don't pick me, pick him instead" on Honza here.

In case you've missed it, I don't go around attacking random people for no reason, no matter how much you try to paint me in that light.

Look, if you are looking for an apology, reflect on yourself starting this with your rather strange response.
Either way, as I said, I won't bother more with this.

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 10/02/2021 15:57:02
Look, if you are looking for an apology, reflect on yourself starting this with your rather strange response.
Either way, as I said, I won't bother more with this.
And what's so strange about it?

I've already done all I can to explain myself, my reaction, and why I posted my initial complaint.
I find it stranger that you keep replying to me, yet you also keep ignoring virtually all the things I say.

Cassiebsg

Some people is useless to argue with, they just focus on their views and are unable to see it from someone elses view point. I feel like you are wasting your energy Blondbraid, but I admire your persistence in trying to explain.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 10/02/2021 16:35:47
Some people is useless to argue with, they just focus on their views and are unable to see it from someone elses view point. I feel like you are wasting your energy Blondbraid, but I admire your persistence in trying to explain.
I'm glad to see at least someone else read my replies.

I guess it's just been one of these days where you desperately wish the point of view gun was real.  (roll)

KyriakosCH

Good job on finding Cassie to help - it's not like there has been any bad blood there :P

Anyway, Blondbraid, sorry that you felt insulted by what I wrote. I also felt surprised and insulted by what you wrote. I hope we can now move on :)

TheFrighter

To be precise, this thread is not strictly about sexism. It's about discriminations in games and media and obviously the sexism is one of that.

_

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 10/02/2021 17:17:58
Good job on finding Cassie to help - it's not like there has been any bad blood there :P

Anyway, Blondbraid, sorry that you felt insulted by what I wrote. I also felt surprised and insulted by what you wrote. I hope we can now move on :)
I'm not in control of Cassie, she speaks for herself.

I apologize if the way I wrote my initial reply was too impolite (but I still stand by the points I've made), and I hope you've at least tried to learn something from what I've said.

I'm not going to bring this up again if you don't, so I hope we're done now.

Honza

Btw, Honza, your game looks seriously cool  8-)

Thank you!  ;-D

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 10/02/2021 16:46:53
I guess it's just been one of these days where you desperately wish the point of view gun was real.  (roll)

Holy sh*t, I was thinking of exactly the same scene in relation to this thread about two hours ago!  8-0

Cassiebsg

@KyriakosCH, I'm not engaging you. There's no point in talking to doors.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Honza on Wed 10/02/2021 18:07:11
Holy sh*t, I was thinking of exactly the same scene in relation to this thread about two hours ago!  8-0
Well, it is a pretty great scene.  :)

KyriakosCH

Some AGS-made games had memorable female protagonists.
Two I have played are Fran Bow and The Cat Lady  8-)

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 10/02/2021 20:04:11
Some AGS-made games had memorable female protagonists.
Two I have played are Fran Bow and The Cat Lady  8-)

Fran Bow was one of the few games I've played that dealt with dark things such as child abuse and mental disorders, and pulled it off rather well, though I think the game took a lot of visual and thematic inspiration from Alice: Madness Returns.

As for that game, the creator did give a pretty good explanation as to how he was able to write a story for a female teenage character dealing with trauma and mental illness without it coming across as edgy or gratuitous.

Crimson Wizard

Just a little correction if I may, but Fran Bow was not made with AGS, they had their homebrew engine afaik.
(I still was not able to play it because it has a fullscreen effect during the mental hospital scenes that gives me nausea, and no way to turn it off. Maybe I will try again later)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 10/02/2021 22:51:03
Just a little correction if I may, but Fran Bow was not made with AGS, they had their homebrew engine afaik.
(I still was not able to play it because it has a fullscreen effect during the mental hospital scenes that gives me nausea, and no way to turn it off. Maybe I will try again later)
Do you mean the film-grain like flickering effect on the screen?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk