Author Topic: [Feature suggestion] Frame-linked audio visual indicator & Audioclip volume  (Read 513 times)

I would like to make some small suggestions that might hopefully bring some quality-of-life improvements to working with frame-linked audio:

1) Having some kind of visual indicator for frames with linked audio, like a simple dot above the frame, or an "x", or a music note symbol, or something of the sort, would make it so much easier to identify at a quick glance which frames have audio linked to them, something that can be a huge nuisance when you have views with a lot of long loops and you need to find that *one* frame with a specific audio clip.

2) More engine- than editor-related, but having the audioclip DefaultVolume property be accessible and modifiable by script would be incredibly useful; for example, to be able to easily do fading footsteps, among many other situations.

3) Maybe this one is a bit more complicated, but would it be possible to make it so that, when an animation is played in the preview panel, the frame-linked audioclips play too?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    • Crimson Wizard worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
2) More engine- than editor-related, but having the audioclip DefaultVolume property be accessible and modifiable by script would be incredibly useful; for example, to be able to easily do fading footsteps, among many other situations.

Is this related to not being able to configure frame audio's volume when it starts? If so, perhaps it would be better to find a direct solution to that.

Is this related to not being able to configure frame audio's volume when it starts? If so, perhaps it would be better to find a direct solution to that.

I wasn't aware that this was being looked into, but yes, that approach would also fix the issue.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    • Crimson Wizard worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Well, I would not say it's looked into right now (unless I am not aware of that), but it seems more natural to be able to setup how the frame trigger plays the sound rather than modify original clip's properties.

Ofcourse original clip may also be made modifiable, because why not, the property is just a number, but it feels like a wrong solution for the frame sound problem.

eri0o

I briefly played with adding an indicator for audio in the frame

Wonder if it's alright or too subtle. I used the existing icon for audio.

I briefly played with adding an indicator for audio in the frame
Wonder if it's alright or too subtle. I used the existing icon for audio.

Hey, that looks really cool! I personally would be totally ok with this icon, it's not intrusive and it's pretty self-explanatory, I think.