MAGS February "Greed" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/02/2021 03:18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Pig in a Poke by Slasher
2 (25%)
One more Fathom by WHAM
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Wed 17/03/2021 12:50:35

Stupot

Topic: Greed
Set by Slasher.

Vote for your favourite game of February by using the poll above.

Pig in a Poke
by Slasher

One More Fathom
by WHAM

Create a game where you have an insatiable greed for something and will do anything to obtain what you greed for....the more the merrier... Maybe your greed backfires?  (laugh)

You may use existing graphics...

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WHAM

Hat. Ring. Consider it thrown!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

VampireWombat

What? No Sloth?

I might give it a try since this would be my last chance for awhile. It depends on if I can think of a good enough idea.

HanaIndiana

Fun topic! I'll have to give it some thought, but I'm hoping to join this month.

Slasher

Hi Guys

I hope you all do participate in this MAG  (nod)

I have been thinking about a few ideas and I want to try out a unique player visual technique ... hope I can pull it off good enough...
Pig in a poke
Greed knows no bounds  (laugh)

Nose to grindstone time (laugh)

WHAM

I told myself I'd make a proper adventure game again, and not mess around with non-adventure games since those keep getting out of hand, but...

One More Fathom is currently in the early stages of prototyping and I'm trying to keep the scope of the design document in check.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

VampireWombat

I think that the title I came up with the other day when clicking on a link from the forum while still half asleep will be a good starting point. So, I will be attempting to make Piracy And Cookies.

Now to figure everything else out...

heltenjon

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 02/02/2021 06:59:32
One More Fathom is currently in the early stages of prototyping and I'm trying to keep the scope of the design document in check.
Wow, Wham...this sounds really deep. I'm holding my breath.  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi Guys
Pig in a poke
I have written the storyline and have sorted out the rooms I'll need.

This train is a rollin'  (laugh)

WHAM

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 02/02/2021 19:24:39
I'll do my best not to drown in work with this one.

Slasher

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 03/02/2021 15:31:13
Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 02/02/2021 19:24:39
I'll do my best not to drown in work with this one.
Don't get out of your depth Wham  (laugh)

My entry is plodding along just nicely.... Most of the mechanics are in place... Happy so far  8-)

Slasher

Hi,
Pig in a poke
The Pier....

WHAM

Day 4. I now have a working prototype, but must take 2 days off the project as I will be traveling to see some friends. Work will resume on Sunday, with the implementation of treasure, gemstones and rare artefacts! And after that: DEATH!

DBoyWheeler

That "Thesaurus" dinosaur pic...

Aww... you couldn't find Roget the Saurus from Quest for Glory 2?

Oh well.  Looking forward to see what this gets us.

VampireWombat

It should be a Thesaurus Rex anyway.

So, umm yeah. No major update. Except I think I've finally decided for sure what direction to take the game. Maybe. Hopefully.

Slasher

Hi,
Pig in a poke

Finished tweaking Crimson Wizard's custom ChangeWeight module and it's good to go..

Now working on Rooms...

On schedule....

WHAM

Code: ags
function GenerateTreasure(int depthlevel, int TargetSpaceID) {
  int TreasureType;
  int RandoCalrissian = Random(99) + 1;
  int RandyPrickford;

In order to feed that greed, one must have treasure! Meet my treasure generation variables: RandoCalrissian and RandyPrickford.
This game is shaping up to be an aquatically themed slot machine, where each push of a button might get you more treasure, or it might kill you. It's up to the player to decide if they want to take that extra risk that might make them rich or cause them to lose it all.

Slasher

I hope to see something amazing from you WHAM  (nod)

Come on guys, we have a gold standard to beat  (laugh)

I'm working super hard on my entry and filling in all the gaps.

Everything seems to be in place and working well..

VampireWombat

Sorry. Maybe I'll be more motivated to work on my game after I finish Fallout: New Vegas.

In the meantime, anyone want to buy some Girl Scout Cookies?

Slasher

The Kitchen

WHAM

Hit a fairly major snag due to early mistakes in designing my code execution. Need to overhaul some of the work I've done and restructure the code now, before it gets totally out of hand.  Once the restructuring is completed and I have included all currently done code into the renewed structure, I should have most of the core gameplay in a "playable but unfinished" state. After that I need to do UI design, inventory management and finish up all the various encounters to balance them out and make them work based on proper in-game stats rather than the current placeholder coin flips that decide if you are eaten by a shark or not.

Slasher

Been there mate.. I truly hope you can work it out  (nod)

Good luck and I'll see you at the finish...

Meanwhile, all my rooms are up and being scripted...

Slasher

Pig in a poke

Fred is food greedy and is always hungry...His wife, Marge tells him he has eaten them out of house and home and the cupboards are bare. What is Fred to do? He needs to satisfy his cravings.. With no food and no money Fred sets about looking to fill his hungry belly...

Watch as Fred piles on the weight during his quest for food... What will his wife Marge say?!

Left Click Interact
Right Click Look at
Click X to dismiss inventory item

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2516-pig-in-a-poke/

The Kitchen

The Pier....

Please report any issues found.

Thank you....

WHAM

Damn! Finished already?
And here I am still struggling to put together to core gameplay loop, and after I finish that I still need to work for at least a few more days to give my game about diving for deep sea treasure some depth. I'll be traveling this weekend, though, so I expect to have to crunch quite a bit during the next two weekends, so I can meet the deadline.

VampireWombat

I feel rather behind. I haven't even finished anything yet.

WHAM

As is customary, I am well behind schedule, but still making progress. Finally made the functionality for player to expend and run out of air while diving, along with UI elements for managing consumables! Still need to make a proper inventory for the treasures you can collect, as well as code in the monsters you will face when diving. Once all that is done, I'll try to add some story elements, a win condition and a shop for upgrades, though that last one might not make it before deadline.

Slasher

Wham,  sounds great.. hope you get the time to finish it all  (nod)

WHAM

I managed to score next week as vacation from work. A full week I should be able to dedicate to MAGS!

LET'S DO THIS THING!

(I'm still way behind schedule, but this gives me hope of making the deadline, at least.)

WHAM

I have reached the Minimum Viable Product -stage, where I have a game that can be played in a meaningful way. The current build has been sent to a couple friends so they can test it out and provide feedback (the first one already reported two minor bugs).
Next I will add new graphics and animations, as well as start working on adding the store and NPC's that the player can interact with between diving for more treasure.

WHAM

I just sent out the beta version of the game to a few friends to be tested. I might still add a couple small optional features tomorrow, but the core game is now fully complete!
Now to see how badly my friends can break the thing!  (laugh)

Slasher

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 25/02/2021 19:05:42
I just sent out the beta version of the game to a few friends to be tested. I might still add a couple small optional features tomorrow, but the core game is now fully complete!
Now to see how badly my friends can break the thing!  (laugh)
Get the glue out  (laugh)

Good luck with that mate  (nod)

WHAM

First evening of testing resulted in 15 bugs fixed and 2 minor improvements being made.
And while this may be ill-advised, I'll try to add one more missing feature today before calling the game finished.

WHAM

Beta 2 released to testers today. The game is now complete and will go through one more day of bugfixes and testing before final release on either Saturday evening or Sunday.

I have two features that were planned for the game that ended up being cut for lack of time, but these were both minor features that should not greatly impact the game. So far the feedback from testers has been surprisingly positive, so I hope things will go well once this thing is fully out. Will make a finished game thread on release. SOON!

WHAM

Game is released: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58887.0

Download link.

DOWNLOAD >

I can't seem to add the game to the AGS database, but will do so if the page becomes functional for me again. Done a while ago.

Stupot

Once again. Apologies for the delay.

You can now vote for your favourite game of MAGS February.

Please play both games and vote using the poll above.

(And don't forget to rate and comment on the games in their respective homepages.)

Pig in a Poke
by Slasher

One More Fathom
by WHAM

Thanks to all participants.

WHAM

Pig in a Poke:
Spoiler

I love some of the dialogue on offer, but other than that I was left a bit underwhelmed. I don't mind some lack of animation or visual quality, but the mismatched styles of certain characters feels off putting to me. What felt even more off putting was the protagonist, though I feel this was the intention. I couldn't help but cringe over and over as he just DEVOURS things no sane man should put anywhere near their mouth! Bleugh!

All in all, a suitably humorous little collect-'em-all game with very light puzzle elements and a gut twisting protagonist who effectively reminded me to refocus on my diet.
[close]

EDIT: A friend playing my game discovered a couple nasty little bugs in my game, so I'll release a new version this weekend that fixes them. One can cause the game to lock up and become unplayable, forcing the player to load a save, which is not very nice...

ANOTHER EDIT: Update released with a bugfix.

Slasher

One more Fathom by WHAM
Spoiler
The first thing that hit me was the pleasing graphics.  i can see the work that went into the game and can appreciate the work done. Game play wise it shows good promise... I did find the surfacing and diving back down a bit time consuming and repetitious and a little slow.. It seemed to be a bit of a 'click and hope', especially at the beginning... overall I thought the game was really good and enjoyed it in most part.. I did not come across any bugs. Great work for a game in a month  (nod)
[close]

heltenjon

My thoughts:

Pig in a Poke by Slasher:
Spoiler
Oh, just another standard Slasher game? It's easy to think so. This time around, the protagonist reminds me a bit of mr. Creosote, stuffing himself with all kinds of nastyness, in addition to what is actually edible. There's plenty of humour of the gross kind. While I don't think this is among the best games Slasher has made, I keep reminding myself of all that I now almost take for granted when playing his Mags games. He's developed a very functional navigation system through icons, which also is used to keep track of which locations are now cleared. This time there's both a meter for money and for weight, the latter functioning like points. I'd have wished for the weight to be utilized at some point, maybe for some area to only become available when he had reached a certain weight. This template makes even an average Slasher game an above average game.
[close]

One More Fathom by WHAM!:
Spoiler
I'm too greedy. I keep dying because I go too deep and collect too much treasure. The interface is well thought out, and there are more variables at play than I can easily shake a stick at. The premise and execution is very good, although this clearly isn't my type of game. I guess I have to grind a lot to build up my levels before I get to really tackle the deep end. I'll stick by it, because I want to see that ending when I meet the win condition, but I'm not there yet.
[close]

I don't know who I will vote for yet.
Spoiler
Slasher's game is an adventure game and works like a charm. Yet it's a game I'll quickly mostly forget about, except that the protagonist ate everything that wasn't nailed down. Wham!'s entry is of a game type which frustrates me, but it's memorable and undoubtedly well made, impressive for the time given. I wil try to get a little further in OMF before I make up my mind.
[close]

Ponch

Slasher

Congratulations WHAM.... Make your next topic a great one...

Well-done Mate  (nod)

Shadow1000

I didn't have a chance to post my thoughts, but I did vote for One More Fathom.

Spoiler

Pig in a Poke was very recognizably Slasher style in terms of things to do, navigation, story, etc. But One More Fathom REALLY reminded me of the type of mid-eightys games I used to play in high school. At first glance it SEEMS pretty routine but once you get into it, the unexpected just keeps happening. Add to that the money management, strategy and so on and this game really stands out.
[close]

WHAM

Whoah! For some reason I thought voting was open until the end of month, so when I opened the thread and saw Slashers post I was very confused for a sec...

But holy hell! I won!

Thank you so much, everyone, for playing and voting. I really hope people have enjoyed playing the game, and I am already considering expanding upon it for a sort of deluxe version to be released more properly later down the line, kind of like I upgraded Gnrblex back in the day.

Stupot

Yep. Well done WHAM. You are the winner of MAGS February, for One More Fathom.

I'll PM you about choosing a topic for April, so get your thinking cap on.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Keep an eye out for a new topic on April 1st.

Also, please kindly turn your attention to the voting for MAGGIES 2020, and choose your best three games from last year.

heltenjon

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 19/03/2021 05:47:16
Also, please kindly turn your attention to the voting for MAGGIES 2020, and choose your best three games from last year.

That link goes to last year's competition. (But that thread is a good reminder, so that's good, then.) Here's this year's thread: MAGGIES 2020

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk