MAGS February "Greed" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/02/2021 03:18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Pig in a Poke by Slasher
2 (25%)
One more Fathom by WHAM
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Wed 17/03/2021 12:50:35

Stupot

Topic: Greed
Set by Slasher.

Vote for your favourite game of February by using the poll above.

Pig in a Poke
by Slasher

One More Fathom
by WHAM

Create a game where you have an insatiable greed for something and will do anything to obtain what you greed for....the more the merrier... Maybe your greed backfires?  (laugh)

You may use existing graphics...

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WHAM

Hat. Ring. Consider it thrown!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

VampireWombat

What? No Sloth?

I might give it a try since this would be my last chance for awhile. It depends on if I can think of a good enough idea.

HanaIndiana

Fun topic! I'll have to give it some thought, but I'm hoping to join this month.

Slasher

Hi Guys

I hope you all do participate in this MAG  (nod)

I have been thinking about a few ideas and I want to try out a unique player visual technique ... hope I can pull it off good enough...
Pig in a poke
Greed knows no bounds  (laugh)

Nose to grindstone time (laugh)

WHAM

I told myself I'd make a proper adventure game again, and not mess around with non-adventure games since those keep getting out of hand, but...

One More Fathom is currently in the early stages of prototyping and I'm trying to keep the scope of the design document in check.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

VampireWombat

I think that the title I came up with the other day when clicking on a link from the forum while still half asleep will be a good starting point. So, I will be attempting to make Piracy And Cookies.

Now to figure everything else out...

heltenjon

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 02/02/2021 06:59:32
One More Fathom is currently in the early stages of prototyping and I'm trying to keep the scope of the design document in check.
Wow, Wham...this sounds really deep. I'm holding my breath.  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi Guys
Pig in a poke
I have written the storyline and have sorted out the rooms I'll need.

This train is a rollin'  (laugh)

WHAM

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 02/02/2021 19:24:39
I'll do my best not to drown in work with this one.

Slasher

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 03/02/2021 15:31:13
Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 02/02/2021 19:24:39
I'll do my best not to drown in work with this one.
Don't get out of your depth Wham  (laugh)

My entry is plodding along just nicely.... Most of the mechanics are in place... Happy so far  8-)

Slasher

Hi,
Pig in a poke
The Pier....

WHAM

Day 4. I now have a working prototype, but must take 2 days off the project as I will be traveling to see some friends. Work will resume on Sunday, with the implementation of treasure, gemstones and rare artefacts! And after that: DEATH!

DBoyWheeler

That "Thesaurus" dinosaur pic...

Aww... you couldn't find Roget the Saurus from Quest for Glory 2?

Oh well.  Looking forward to see what this gets us.

VampireWombat

It should be a Thesaurus Rex anyway.

So, umm yeah. No major update. Except I think I've finally decided for sure what direction to take the game. Maybe. Hopefully.

Slasher

Hi,
Pig in a poke

Finished tweaking Crimson Wizard's custom ChangeWeight module and it's good to go..

Now working on Rooms...

On schedule....

WHAM

Code: ags
function GenerateTreasure(int depthlevel, int TargetSpaceID) {
  int TreasureType;
  int RandoCalrissian = Random(99) + 1;
  int RandyPrickford;

In order to feed that greed, one must have treasure! Meet my treasure generation variables: RandoCalrissian and RandyPrickford.
This game is shaping up to be an aquatically themed slot machine, where each push of a button might get you more treasure, or it might kill you. It's up to the player to decide if they want to take that extra risk that might make them rich or cause them to lose it all.

Slasher

I hope to see something amazing from you WHAM  (nod)

Come on guys, we have a gold standard to beat  (laugh)

I'm working super hard on my entry and filling in all the gaps.

Everything seems to be in place and working well..

VampireWombat

Sorry. Maybe I'll be more motivated to work on my game after I finish Fallout: New Vegas.

In the meantime, anyone want to buy some Girl Scout Cookies?

Slasher

The Kitchen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk