MAGS February "Greed" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/02/2021 03:18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS February?

Pig in a Poke by Slasher
2 (25%)
One more Fathom by WHAM
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Wed 17/03/2021 12:50:35

WHAM

Hit a fairly major snag due to early mistakes in designing my code execution. Need to overhaul some of the work I've done and restructure the code now, before it gets totally out of hand.  Once the restructuring is completed and I have included all currently done code into the renewed structure, I should have most of the core gameplay in a "playable but unfinished" state. After that I need to do UI design, inventory management and finish up all the various encounters to balance them out and make them work based on proper in-game stats rather than the current placeholder coin flips that decide if you are eaten by a shark or not.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Slasher

Been there mate.. I truly hope you can work it out  (nod)

Good luck and I'll see you at the finish...

Meanwhile, all my rooms are up and being scripted...

Slasher

Pig in a poke

Fred is food greedy and is always hungry...His wife, Marge tells him he has eaten them out of house and home and the cupboards are bare. What is Fred to do? He needs to satisfy his cravings.. With no food and no money Fred sets about looking to fill his hungry belly...

Watch as Fred piles on the weight during his quest for food... What will his wife Marge say?!

Left Click Interact
Right Click Look at
Click X to dismiss inventory item

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2516-pig-in-a-poke/

The Kitchen

The Pier....

Please report any issues found.

Thank you....

WHAM

Damn! Finished already?
And here I am still struggling to put together to core gameplay loop, and after I finish that I still need to work for at least a few more days to give my game about diving for deep sea treasure some depth. I'll be traveling this weekend, though, so I expect to have to crunch quite a bit during the next two weekends, so I can meet the deadline.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

VampireWombat

I feel rather behind. I haven't even finished anything yet.

WHAM

As is customary, I am well behind schedule, but still making progress. Finally made the functionality for player to expend and run out of air while diving, along with UI elements for managing consumables! Still need to make a proper inventory for the treasures you can collect, as well as code in the monsters you will face when diving. Once all that is done, I'll try to add some story elements, a win condition and a shop for upgrades, though that last one might not make it before deadline.

Slasher

Wham,  sounds great.. hope you get the time to finish it all  (nod)

WHAM

I managed to score next week as vacation from work. A full week I should be able to dedicate to MAGS!

LET'S DO THIS THING!

(I'm still way behind schedule, but this gives me hope of making the deadline, at least.)

WHAM

I have reached the Minimum Viable Product -stage, where I have a game that can be played in a meaningful way. The current build has been sent to a couple friends so they can test it out and provide feedback (the first one already reported two minor bugs).
Next I will add new graphics and animations, as well as start working on adding the store and NPC's that the player can interact with between diving for more treasure.

WHAM

I just sent out the beta version of the game to a few friends to be tested. I might still add a couple small optional features tomorrow, but the core game is now fully complete!
Now to see how badly my friends can break the thing!  (laugh)

Slasher

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 25/02/2021 19:05:42
I just sent out the beta version of the game to a few friends to be tested. I might still add a couple small optional features tomorrow, but the core game is now fully complete!
Now to see how badly my friends can break the thing!  (laugh)
Get the glue out  (laugh)

Good luck with that mate  (nod)

WHAM

First evening of testing resulted in 15 bugs fixed and 2 minor improvements being made.
And while this may be ill-advised, I'll try to add one more missing feature today before calling the game finished.

WHAM

Beta 2 released to testers today. The game is now complete and will go through one more day of bugfixes and testing before final release on either Saturday evening or Sunday.

I have two features that were planned for the game that ended up being cut for lack of time, but these were both minor features that should not greatly impact the game. So far the feedback from testers has been surprisingly positive, so I hope things will go well once this thing is fully out. Will make a finished game thread on release. SOON!

WHAM

Game is released: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58887.0

Download link.

DOWNLOAD >

I can't seem to add the game to the AGS database, but will do so if the page becomes functional for me again. Done a while ago.

Stupot

Once again. Apologies for the delay.

You can now vote for your favourite game of MAGS February.

Please play both games and vote using the poll above.

(And don't forget to rate and comment on the games in their respective homepages.)

Pig in a Poke
by Slasher

One More Fathom
by WHAM

Thanks to all participants.

WHAM

Pig in a Poke:
Spoiler

I love some of the dialogue on offer, but other than that I was left a bit underwhelmed. I don't mind some lack of animation or visual quality, but the mismatched styles of certain characters feels off putting to me. What felt even more off putting was the protagonist, though I feel this was the intention. I couldn't help but cringe over and over as he just DEVOURS things no sane man should put anywhere near their mouth! Bleugh!

All in all, a suitably humorous little collect-'em-all game with very light puzzle elements and a gut twisting protagonist who effectively reminded me to refocus on my diet.
[close]

EDIT: A friend playing my game discovered a couple nasty little bugs in my game, so I'll release a new version this weekend that fixes them. One can cause the game to lock up and become unplayable, forcing the player to load a save, which is not very nice...

ANOTHER EDIT: Update released with a bugfix.

Slasher

One more Fathom by WHAM
Spoiler
The first thing that hit me was the pleasing graphics.  i can see the work that went into the game and can appreciate the work done. Game play wise it shows good promise... I did find the surfacing and diving back down a bit time consuming and repetitious and a little slow.. It seemed to be a bit of a 'click and hope', especially at the beginning... overall I thought the game was really good and enjoyed it in most part.. I did not come across any bugs. Great work for a game in a month  (nod)
[close]

heltenjon

My thoughts:

Pig in a Poke by Slasher:
Spoiler
Oh, just another standard Slasher game? It's easy to think so. This time around, the protagonist reminds me a bit of mr. Creosote, stuffing himself with all kinds of nastyness, in addition to what is actually edible. There's plenty of humour of the gross kind. While I don't think this is among the best games Slasher has made, I keep reminding myself of all that I now almost take for granted when playing his Mags games. He's developed a very functional navigation system through icons, which also is used to keep track of which locations are now cleared. This time there's both a meter for money and for weight, the latter functioning like points. I'd have wished for the weight to be utilized at some point, maybe for some area to only become available when he had reached a certain weight. This template makes even an average Slasher game an above average game.
[close]

One More Fathom by WHAM!:
Spoiler
I'm too greedy. I keep dying because I go too deep and collect too much treasure. The interface is well thought out, and there are more variables at play than I can easily shake a stick at. The premise and execution is very good, although this clearly isn't my type of game. I guess I have to grind a lot to build up my levels before I get to really tackle the deep end. I'll stick by it, because I want to see that ending when I meet the win condition, but I'm not there yet.
[close]

I don't know who I will vote for yet.
Spoiler
Slasher's game is an adventure game and works like a charm. Yet it's a game I'll quickly mostly forget about, except that the protagonist ate everything that wasn't nailed down. Wham!'s entry is of a game type which frustrates me, but it's memorable and undoubtedly well made, impressive for the time given. I wil try to get a little further in OMF before I make up my mind.
[close]

Ponch

Slasher

Congratulations WHAM.... Make your next topic a great one...

Well-done Mate  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk