Good God!

Started by Pogwizd, Sat 28/03/2020 12:39:06

Previous topic - Next topic

FormosaFalanster

What a lovely game! I really liked the simple palette and art style; I am very fond of the idea of blending past genres, and your game graphically looks like a Gameboy JRPG but plays like a point and click, this is a lovely  blend. I also have a lot of respect for people who use a game as a medium to communicate their culture!

I stayed with a friend in Warsaw in January 2002 in such a unit and I could almost feel back there :D except the cold! What is even more admirable is that you take the grim environment of Jaruzelski era buildings and turn them into a cute Secret of Mana-ish world, I really love that a lot!

It was simple and finished in a very short time but I can tell the goal was to make a short game so no problem with that. The puzzles were actually quite original. I would advise you make a longer game using that kind of art style and maybe even the premise of turning a grim Polish suburb into a magical land! I believe there is a story to write there!

PS I used to live in LIthuania where I was introduced to the Romuva gods of the Balts, the thunder god is there called Perkunas so it is almost the same name, interesting right?

Pogwizd

FormosaFalanster, thank you very much for your kind words! Especially for

QuoteI also have a lot of respect for people who use a game as a medium to communicate their culture!

, as this is exactly what we wanted to do. The idea was not to be pushy or preachy but simply to show something that... I don't know... we know from our own experience and that is uncommon in the mainstream. I am not quite sure why I am "obsessed" with blocks... I think living on the 10-th floor as a child must have had some impact on me.

QuoteI would advise you make a longer game using that kind of art style and maybe even the premise of turning a grim Polish suburb into a magical land!

You just reminded me that a very (very very) long time ago I drafted an epic semi-fantasy story set in a block-ridden suburb. I think the main vilian (a dark king of some sort) was supposed to be a ring-leader of local football hooligans :) I wonder if I still have it somewhere. As for the art-style me and my wife have recently been watching a lot of Brandon James Greer's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u535Rr4KJM&t=114s&ab_channel=BrandonJamesGreer) vidoes, so who knows - maybe we will come back to it one day. In the meantime, though, you may try out the demo of Absurdistan. The art-style is completelly different but it's set in a universe very similar to the one of the Jaruzelski era ;)

QuotePS I used to live in LIthuania where I was introduced to the Romuva gods of the Balts, the thunder god is there called Perkunas so it is almost the same name, interesting right?

I am not an expert on the topic, but this sounds like the same (or very similar) deity :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk