Sprite Jam: Older than Before (until March 1st)

Started by Misj', Fri 12/02/2021 21:28:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

Older than Before

Hero's are people too.
And like us regular folks their birthday comes once a year.

The idea for this SpriteJam originates form a tutorial I was working on a few years back (around the Day of the Tentacle remaster just came out) on drawing a character at different ages. Unfortunately I never got around to actually writing it. But, at least I still have the pictures.

In this SpriteJam, take a character from a commercial point-and-click adventure game. It doesn't have to be the main character.

And re-envision that character at an older age. You get to decide how much older...but I do expect a bit more time to have passed than a single day. Remember, you do not have to use the same drawing style as the original (though your welcome to do so, if you so desire). And yes, you can be more creative than I was below...because let's face it: maybe Bernard became a professional bodybuilder in his late twenties. Who knows? - Well, you do. Or at least you get to decide.

So the rules are simple:

• Take any character from an existing commercial point-and-click adventure game (that does of course include commercial indie games...and even commercial games you've created yourself).
  • Re-interpret what they would look like at a later stage of their lives. How did life affect them?
  • I want the character to be clearly recognizable (but please also post a picture of the original for comparison)

• You can enter as many times as you like.
  • Entries must be in on March 1st.

And as always: have fun, and try to be creative.

Sinitrena

Wow, that's a difficult topic.  8-0 I'll have to think about it.
Question: You only write about making the character older, but one of your examples is a younger Bernard. So, only older or is younger also possible?

Misj'

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sat 13/02/2021 16:03:12Question: You only write about making the character older, but one of your examples is a younger Bernard. So, only older or is younger also possible?
That's what I get for posting old images unedited ;)
But no...I think de-aging should be the topic of another Jam.

Creamy

Quotere-envision that character at an older age.

Nonsense! We all know that video game characters never age! Neither do comic book characters. Only movie characters do for some reason...

Misj'

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 14/02/2021 11:43:05Nonsense! We all know that video game characters never age! Neither do comic book characters. Only movie characters for some reason...
Wait...they don't?

Nice entry. Somehow i'm not surprised Larry never changed his 'style'.

mkennedy

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 14/02/2021 11:43:05

Actually the new Larry kind of looks like an older version of Astro Boy...

Misj'

Only a week left to show that some adventure-game characters mature (or just get older, like Larry did) with age.

So grab your toupet, watch those crows feet in the mirror, and pick up a walking cane. Because none of us are getting any younger.

FormosaFalanster

That is such a fun idea :) I decided to give it a go.

I know my game is not commercial so I am not in competition but it's not important to me, I had fun redesigning my own character through his ages so I decided I'll share it with you anyway. I'm not that much of an artist but I enjoyed playing with these pixels.

Mr Chocolate as an adult (he's like 35 to 40 in the game I think):

Now here he is as a younger man (age 18):

A more skinny neck and slimmer body, also the tie is looser because he is more relax. He has no shades around his eyes and more hair. His hair is also less dishevelled because he is not so depressed yet but his expression is already rather placid.

Now here he is as a child (age 9):

I changed the robe into pyjamas but kept the colour scheme. He was already dressing for night and comfortable but in a kiddy way. Even more hair, smaller face and body.

And finally here he is as an old man (age 65) reunited with Ms Dumpling (she aged better than him!):

Grey hair and even bigger shades, lower head a bit hunched by all the walking he does accross his house, but an equally peaceful expression.

Here they are all real size:

And a little family portrait:

Thats it. I know you would have preferred Guybrush Threepwood but I hope it raised a smile anyway :)

Misj'

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Sat 27/02/2021 05:05:18
That is such a fun idea :) I decided to give it a go.

I know my game is not commercial so I am not in competition but it's not important to me, I had fun redesigning my own character through his ages so I decided I'll share it with you anyway. I'm not that much of an artist but I enjoyed playing with these pixels.

Here they are all real size:

Thats it. I know you would have preferred Guybrush Threepwood but I hope it raised a smile anyway :)
I know they don't (entirely) fit the rules, but I also absolutely love them. I'm already kinda invested in his life now (and his relationship with Ms Dumpling). I really wouldn't mind seeing/playing his story of love, lost love, and love regained. Great work!

fire7side

fire7side

Misj'

Woops, look at the time. It did pass more quickly than I expected it to do.

It's time to vote:

Creamy
'Leisure Suit' Larry Laffer

Fire7side
Hoagie

FormosaFalanster
mr. Chocolate

I know that strictly speaking mr Chocolate did not adhere to the rules, as he was not from a commercial game. But the game was published, and I like to give all of you some choices to pick from.
Voting is simple: just choose your favorite interpretation of the theme.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Sinitrena

Oh no, I forgot about this one.

Well, I can at least vote:

I vote Creamy. All three entries show someone getting older, but I think Fire7side's Hoagie changes a bit too much. It's certainly possible that someone so heavy gets more slender as they age, but this seems a bit extreme. FormosaFalanster has very little change overall, the character gets a bit smaller and the hair gets grey, but the clothes stay the same, so there's change in the character but not so much in the presentation. Creamy is in the middle between too much change and too little. His Larry looks older, seems to carry the same personality and even though the different colour for the clothes is just a slight change, it is there. I especially like the litttle details, like the wrinkles, the receding hair and the similar but different stance.

fire7side

I'm not sure contestants can vote, so I won't, but I thought I'd say it was an interesting challenge.  It didn't take long and made me think a little bit and got me a little more used to working in Krita.  Hooray for the 3 people that participated.

Sinitrena

Yes, participants are usually allowed to vote. (Considering the fact that all our competitions are plague by too few people voting, not allowing those most interested in any given competition to vote would be rather counter-productive  ;))

Creamy

I vote for Fire7side. I don't completely recognize Hoagie but he indisputably endured the passage of time.

You can tell that Mr Chocolate gets older but the treatment is not very far from movie makeup.

Misj'

The votes have been cast.
The votes have been counted.

And the winner is: Creamy.

Congrats! - And as always: to you now befalls the prize, nee, the honour, of hosting the next SpriteJam

Creamy

Thanks Cassie and Sinitrena for the votes and Misj' for the little reminder. I've had other things on my mind lately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk