Suggest relatively recent (past 3 years) AGS horror games?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 13/02/2021 15:38:39

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I liked a number of the games I played this year, and more would be nice :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 13/02/2021 15:38:39
I liked a number of the games I played this year, and more would be nice :)
A bit of shameless self promotion, but my game Black Friday:https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2304/ is a comedy horror.
As for pure horror, how about The Terrible Old Man: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1901-the-terrible-old-man/.
It's short, but should be right up your alley, considering it's based on Lovecraft.

KyriakosCH

Thanks, I will try your Black Friday!
(I have already played the Terrible Old Man)

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 14/02/2021 16:26:48
As for pure horror, how about The Terrible Old Man: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1901-the-terrible-old-man/.
It's short, but should be right up your alley, considering it's based on Lovecraft.

Ahhhh... My first introduction to the bottomless rabbits' hole that is YouTube, when the creator of this game mentioned that a Let's Play of it had gone over a million views in a single day...

I was so curious that an AGS game had gotten that much attention that I clicked on the link and it led to a Markiplier video and then it was an endless fall down the rabbit hole through Jacksepticeye, and many others, until I was confronted with Pewds (and may he reign over his flock for many more years to come), but that was the point where it just got a bit too much.

Anyways, here is the link to the Markiplier video that I first mentioned. It is kinda amazing as a study of both the kind of games that would attract the attention of MASSIVE YouTubers back in the day, and also a study into why people like myself were sucked down the rabbit hole into these kinds of YouTube "Let's Plays"...and why I still watch them on different channels to this day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pbC3hDg_U8

And there are legends that say that Mandle is still is eternal free-fall through YouTube "communities" even now...

KyriakosCH

Markplier :/ He never played any of my (2) games. This cost me a fortune :D

Indeed, if one of those youtube celebrity-gamers plays your game, you are set to be funded by tens of people (I know of a case of this, with MP, last year).

Contrast with AB games playing my game, leading to... 1 patron (and even he only stayed for a few weeks :D )

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 14/02/2021 16:55:31
Contrast with AB games playing my game, leading to... 1 patron (and even he only stayed for a few weeks :D )

The Monster Manual, Edition CIRCA 2021:

The Patreon Patron is a peculiar beast:

It will, at first, cling to you and hump your leg as if impersonating a loyal pet.

But then, within a couple of days, it will turn on you.

It will tell you that everything you did that impressed it at first is now bound in gold-and-mithril-casing for all time, but that everything beyond that point is garbage as, it was either too derivative of, or too different from, your initial vision.

This beast is best dealt with by totally ignoring it. Without attention it will typically turn away, wail for some time, and then die.

KyriakosCH

^Maybe I nearly escaped a dreadful fate, then!
That person donated (iirc) something like a grand total of 10$. Which, don't get me wrong, it was very cool of him to do (I never did any such thing), just wouldn't really put him in a position to be very critical :D

KyriakosCH

Blondbraid

If self-promotion is allowed her, I might as well link to The Frame on the wall, a MAGS project I did with a friend.
It's nothing fancy, but it was based on a cool idea I came across and wanted to do something with.

FormosaFalanster

Some people say my game is a horror game. There is a video somewhere of a streamer who jolts all the time while he plays it. But it may not be what you are looking for, I don't know!

heltenjon

I would be cautious to recommend  Mind Rape: Duress to just any people, but given that KyriakosCH seems to like modernistic art/writing, I think perhaps this one could be worth a try. It's quite experimental, symbolic and touches on some of the same topics as This is the Way.

BarbWire

I would like to suggest 'The Decorcist', KyriakosCH. It doesn't exactly meet your criteria, but has plenty of monsters that we all know and love/hate.
Also, it is more than 3 years old. Give it a try, if you haven't already. I enjoyed your story in the writing competition, by the way  :)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Tue 16/02/2021 07:40:48
Some people say my game is a horror game. There is a video somewhere of a streamer who jolts all the time while he plays it. But it may not be what you are looking for, I don't know!

I will have a look...

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 16/02/2021 10:17:28
I would be cautious to recommend  Mind Rape: Duress to just any people, but given that KyriakosCH seems to like modernistic art/writing, I think perhaps this one could be worth a try. It's quite experimental, symbolic and touches on some of the same topics as This is the Way.

Seems to be my style (other than the more brutal gfx ;) )

Quote from: BarbWire on Tue 16/02/2021 10:20:36

I would like to suggest 'The Decorcist', KyriakosCH. It doesn't exactly meet your criteria, but has plenty of monsters that we all know and love/hate.
Also, it is more than 3 years old. Give it a try, if you haven't already. I enjoyed your story in the writing competition, by the way  :)

I will try the three games mentioned, ty all. But since javascript on my part faces issues on this site and I can't dl from here, post a link if your game is available elsewhere...

BarbWire

Hi, KyriakosCH.
Are you saying that you have difficulties with javascript on the AGS site?  When you click the download button for a game it
doesn't take you to a download location?  For 'The Decorcist' try these links:

The Gamejolt Link
https://gamejolt.com/games/td/54398

Itch.io Link
https://j-soft.itch.io/the-decorcist

Let me know if you are successful in downloading this pretty awesome, brilliant, fan..... You get the gist  :)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: BarbWire on Tue 23/02/2021 11:38:52
Hi, KyriakosCH.
Are you saying that you have difficulties with javascript on the AGS site?  When you click the download button for a game it
doesn't take you to a download location?  For 'The Decorcist' try these links:

The Gamejolt Link
https://gamejolt.com/games/td/54398

Itch.io Link
https://j-soft.itch.io/the-decorcist

Let me know if you are successful in downloading this pretty awesome, brilliant, fan..... You get the gist  :)

Yes, nothing happens when I click on "enable javascript to download"...
I now dled your game from Itchio and will play ;)

Mandle

I heard of a game called Monster Wants In, or something like that. Might be worth a quick look lol.

RetroJay

Hi, KyriakosCH.
Just read what you said about the AGS "Download" Button, saying "enable javascript to download".
I have noticed that for me I see this for about a second or so and then it changes to say "Download...(Whatever the game name is)".
Have you tried waiting longer to see if it changes?
I'm just interested.  :)

lorenzo

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 23/02/2021 11:53:04
I heard of a game called Monster Wants In, or something like that. Might be worth a quick look lol.
Wasn't that game made by the creator of The Hog Keeper? He's a legendary horror director. They say he's a reclusive artist, living in a bunker in the Australian outback, feeding on people's emotions and monster milk.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 23/02/2021 11:53:04

Where can one download (other than here) that elusive and mythical production?

Quote from: RetroJay on Tue 23/02/2021 12:13:30
Hi, KyriakosCH.
Just read what you said about the AGS "Download" Button, saying "enable javascript to download".
I have noticed that for me I see this for about a second or so and then it changes to say "Download...(Whatever the game name is)".
Have you tried waiting longer to see if it changes?
I'm just interested.  :)

Waiting does nothing, unfortunately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk