Unexpected error: The process cannot access the file UPDATED

Started by elentgirl, Wed 17/02/2021 11:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

I have almost completed my new game, but have run into a problem when trying to compile it. UPDATED!

I receive the messgae: "Unexpected error: The process cannot access the file 'D:\ags\hades\Compiled\Data\hades.ags' because it is being used by another process."

'hades' is the name of my game program.  The game runs perfectly when I press F5 from within the editor.  Until recently it also compiled with no problem, but it will not now compile.  I have restarted both AGS and my PC in case it was a temporary glitch, but it still will not compile.  I cannot work our what other process could be accessing the data file.

I have now managed to compile a game.  I still do not understand why.  I decided to try loading and re-compiling one of my older games, which worked OK.  I then tried compiling my new game and that worked!  It seems it is something I'm doing that caused the issue, but I have no idea what.  Any suggestions, anyone?

Many thanks,
elentgirl

Crimson Wizard

There's often a case of anti-virus or another similar program blocking the game files in Compiled folder. For example, Avast antivirus has a long history of blocking AGS which it thinks has suspicious activity.

Another thing that comes to mind is that windows explorer sometimes blocks files somehow which prevents AGS editor from accessing them.

morganw

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 17/02/2021 12:05:22
Another thing that comes to mind is that windows explorer sometimes blocks files somehow which prevents AGS editor from accessing them.
If it is this you normally just have to close the File Explorer to make it work.
i.e. don't be browsing the folders where new files will be written during compilation

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk