What is the scariest comic book you ever read?

Started by TheFrighter, Fri 30/10/2020 17:09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

This one gave a lot of my students here in Japan some fun scares during the Halloween season for many years:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/thriller/chiller/bongcheon-dong-ghost-horang/viewer?title_no=536&episode_no=22

Not exactly on theme, and many probably already know of it, but...

TheFrighter

Interesting, Mandle. Looks more as a kinetic novel, but yeah it's scary.

_

FormosaFalanster

I still name Maus the scariest comic book I ever read. Because it was real.

Nothing scares me more than what is real. That is why I often say Brazil is the scariest movie I ever saw: each time I see it, it's a bit less science-fiction and a bit more like reality  8-0

Mandle

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Tue 23/02/2021 08:18:05

Nothing scares me more than what is real. That is why I often say Brazil is the scariest movie I ever saw: each time I see it, it's a bit less science-fiction and a bit more like reality  8-0

In that case, I totally agree! And will also up the ante with: When The Wind Blows.

Danvzare

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Tue 23/02/2021 08:18:05

Real stuff doesn't scare me, simply because since I'm always terrified of real stuff, when something actually goes out of it's way to remind me, I shrug it off because I've already built up a tolerance from my own irrational fears.
As such, the stuff that really scares me are weird psychological stuff, like The Twilight Zone. Stuff I've never thought about, and therefore could never have built up a tolerance against.
That being said, I don't really like anything involving ghosts. They're just so boring.  >:(

I've personally not read enough horror comics to suggest one which I would consider scary enough to suggest.
But a little off topic, the sweetest one definitely has to be Scud the Disposable Assassin, simply because of the beginning, the ending, and the real story behind the comic. Put it all together and you have in my opinion, the best romance story of all time.  :-D

KyriakosCH

I think that you can only realistically scare very young readers. Some stories by Lovecraft had that effect - and I suppose it was because the reader wasn't looking for the matrix of symbolisms in the story :)

With images, it may be different. Some images are (as far as I know) distorted in a way which has similarities to patterns in the brain under stress. Still, the observer should at least be quite familiar with sense of dread already, I suppose. You can't get frightened if you are in an entirely unrelated mood - try feeling any fear by watching a movie, when eating dinner.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk