A great interview with Binding Of Isaac creator

Started by Mandle, Sat 20/02/2021 23:35:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

This is a great interview that all game devs can draw something from. Edmund talks about his feelings towards game dev in such a broad way that it's not just an interview for fans of his genre of games, but really applies to anybody's style or genre. A great watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X_QYumQQGk

milkanannan

Like a lot of people, I have followed Edmund and Tommy (mainly on Twitter) since I saw Indie Game. Edmund is a really inspiring guy. Haven't see this interview ~ thanks for sharing!

RyanIsntAlive

Anytime I've seen an interview or documentary on him, he has come across as a guy who loves games, loves the medium of games, and most importantly loves indie gaming.

There was a documentary I watched ages back that had a section on him Phil Fish, and a few other guys, wish I could remember the title, but its always interesting to see his mentality.
The guy with the CRT Television Project!

milkanannan

Quote from: RyanIsntAlive on Mon 22/02/2021 21:25:52

There was a documentary I watched ages back that had a section on him Phil Fish, and a few other guys, wish I could remember the title, but its always interesting to see his mentality.

That’s the ‘Indie Game’ movie I mentioned above. Cool documentary by BlinkWorks, who unfortunately don’t appear to have made a movie since.  :-\

RyanIsntAlive

That sucks, It was a really good documentary, I remember even watching it in school for media studies.
Shame they didn't make anything else, hopefully they've all just moved to other studios.

milkanannan

Quote from: RyanIsntAlive on Tue 23/02/2021 13:22:24
That sucks, It was a really good documentary, I remember even watching it in school for media studies.
Shame they didn't make anything else, hopefully they've all just moved to other studios.

Whoa, I spoke too soon. Couple of small projects here: https://www.blink-works.com/titles

Could have sworn I checked their website within the last 1-2 years and saw nothing. I guess they're not gone after all!

RyanIsntAlive

There's still hope!

They look to be big into game developer history, which I love because the mind of some developers is insane. Their newest one seems to be art, and I usually find art documentaries really pretentious (at least the ones my partner studies are) but if it's by these guys it could be cool.

Also, I don't know why, but there's a distinct shot in indie game I remember distinctly, its of shoes tied together and hanging from a power line, the sky is a really nice aesthetic blue, and that image is stuck in my head.

milkanannan

Shoes? Or possibly a Super Nintendo controller? I think the sort of ‘box cover’ was a shot of this controller hanging from a power line.

Yeah I’m going to check out their other stuff, too. I actually bought all of the extra videos that came along with Indie Game the movie (bought them 8 years ago or so), and I really enjoyed these vids. There are a couple of movie play-throughs with some of the developers (ie Ed and Tommy) doing a voice over of each scene. Also includes vids of other developers that were cut out of the final movie.

I think BlinkWorks lucked out in that Team Meat, Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow are themselves very interesting and opinionated people.

Pax Animo

Watching that interview has made me pause for a moment to reflect on how I truly feel about my time spent on current and future projects.
Misunderstood

milkanannan

Quote from: Pax Animo on Wed 24/02/2021 04:26:57
Watching that interview has made me pause for a moment to reflect on how I truly feel about my time spent on current and future projects.

And how do you feel...? Hopefully time well spent?

RyanIsntAlive

That would make a bunch more sense, My memory is probably a little hazy, it was a few years ago.

They really show why I love indie games and devs, they're all really interesting, the mindset for each developer can be wildly different, the contrast of Macmillan, Fish and Blow are night and day. Everyone is using the same medium to tell a wildly different story, and story based games when done right, can build a genius look into the though process they have.
Ed build his career out of newgrounds and poop, I can think of very few people with a more interesting career path.

You've still got forever Pax, you're on AGS forums, you could be the next Macmillan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk