Das Geheimnis von Maike Island (German only)

Started by cutmeat, Sun 21/02/2021 18:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

cutmeat

DAS GEHEIMNIS VON MAIKE ISLAND

"The Secret of Maike Island" is a birthday present four years in the making.

You help Maike and her boyfriend Flo, who are trying to get into an underground rave on a remote island.
Unfortunately, an uptight landlord from Munich won't have it, and when he doesn't see reason - destruction ensues.

The game plays in a single room and consists of one main puzzle - don't expect hours of gameplay, but at least you get some stupid gags and a submarine.

DOWNLOAD (Windows)

AGS Database Entry

This was planned as a three week project when Maike was going to turn 27, and in the end she got it after her 30th birthday. She nevertheless still liked it, and even made it through in one session.
This means development was started long before Covid locked us down. (Un-) fortunately, the escapism theme only became more relevant in 2020, so we could all use a trip to the Caribbean.

For the moment, the game is only released in German. The dialogue-system wasn't used, so I'm unsure what the best way to translate this would be. If you really want it though, I can look into it.
Fun fact: It is the first AGS-game that I ever finished - after lurking here since 2004. Thanks to everyone involved with the engine, editor and the forum!
Best regards from Berlin,

Johannes

heltenjon

This sounds cool. I'll brush off my German and try it.  (nod)

As for translations, it shouldn't really depend on whether you used dialoge.
Quoting from the manual:
"AGS now makes it easy for you to create translations of your games. Right-click the "Translations" node in the tree, and choose "New translation". Once you've named it, AGS will ask if you want to populate the file now. Say yes.
Creating the translation writes all lines of game text to the file - no script sources, just all the displayable text from the game. The file is generated with each line of text separated by a blank line.

You can now give this file to your translators. They should fill in each blank line with the corresponding translation of the English line above it (DO NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH LINES WITH THE TRANSLATION). If a line is left blank, it will simply not be translated.

Once the translation is done, right-click the translation and choose "Compile". It will be converted into a compiled translation (.TRA) file in the Compiled folder, which can be used with the game engine.

Run the game Setup program, and select the translation from the drop-down box. Then, run the game, and all the text should be translated."

The same method could be used for proofreading.

Edit: Oh, and please add the game to the database. (Games page, down in the right corner.) You don't have to translate the game to do that.  ;)

cutmeat

Heyhey,
thank you for replying :) I'll check out the translation option then, seems like a manageable effort.
I added the game to the database, couldn't find the link before. I'll update the post.
Cheers!

heltenjon

Quote from: cutmeat on Sun 21/02/2021 23:43:01
Heyhey,
thank you for replying :) I'll check out the translation option then, seems like a manageable effort.
I added the game to the database, couldn't find the link before. I'll update the post.
Cheers!

Just be sure to have a backup just in case.  (laugh) It's easy to forget what you're doing and change a line instead of translating it on the open line beneath.

necros

+1 for English translation, it`s kinda sad when you don`t understand what characters say

sthomannch

Funny little game! I especially liked the birds :-) I think you call the sound they make "kakophonie"?

selmiak

here is a longplay of the german version to have a first look before you decide to learn german... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK8V0FQkSv4

Creamy

Quotehere is a longplay of the german version to have a first look before you decide to learn german...
I tried for years at school aber es hat nicht geklappt. Yet I don't feel bad about it because the Germans can't speak French either apparently.
Spoiler
Le La fin  :-D
[close]

The game looks cool.

heltenjon

I played it, and love the humour. Nice, good-looking, easy and funny. In German only so far. I agree that the parrot is the funniest part, even though I laughed at the balcony, too.  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk