Shadows by the Waterhouse - Dystopic Retro Adventure

Started by novel games, Mon 22/02/2021 01:07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

novel games

Hello, my name is Raphael Vogt, I am a 44 years old artist and indie game developer from Germany. My current project was developed with a different engine, but I might want to switch to AGS in the future, as Adventure Maker is no longer supported. So I hope I can introduce my new game here anyway:

About the story:

Wet autumn foliage hemmed the paths. On the back of the fog the cold and earthy air was crawling up from the river. I halted to watch a buckeye leaf depart from its tree and softly circle towards the ground, blazing up when touched by the last warm rays of the evening sun.

Whether it had been a mistake to drive out to the old weir on that late autumn day? Who knows? I was strolling on my standard walk along the river side when it all started.

An abandoned tape recorder, odd noises from a basement and finally – a discarded clown's mask. Strange things are happening here around this mysterious "Waterhouse". Is someone secretly conducting illegal experiments on human beings?

In short - it`s an dystopic point&click adventure game with beautiful retro flair.

Here the link to my Game Website on itch.io: https://novel-games.itch.io/shadows-by-the-waterhouse-major-version

Free Demo Version: https://novel-games.itch.io/waterhouse-demo

I would be very happy to receive your feedback, including on my question as to whether it is allowed to produce commercial games with AGS.

Thanks!  :)

Raphael

heltenjon

If this game is made with another engine, this thread will likely be moved to "Adventure related Talk & Chat", given that this is an AGS site. But we like adventure games.

And yes, it's allowed to make commercial games with AGS.

Shadow1000

1. Is there a way to change the settings so the game area fills the screen better? I'm finding it hard to tell what certain things are so maybe if they were bigger that would be solved.

2. I got pretty far in the demo but I can't seem to load saved games. When I save, I don't see my save in the list although when I save again it says that there's a game saved with that name. When I exit the game and try to load, it doesn't show any saves. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

arj0n

novel games

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 22/02/2021 04:23:54
1. Is there a way to change the settings so the game area fills the screen better? I'm finding it hard to tell what certain things are so maybe if they were bigger that would be solved.

2. I got pretty far in the demo but I can't seem to load saved games. When I save, I don't see my save in the list although when I save again it says that there's a game saved with that name. When I exit the game and try to load, it doesn't show any saves. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

As for your first question - try one or a combination of the following options:

1. Remove the hook at the bottom of the Start menu (in front of "change display resolution").
2. Choose "toggle fullscream" in the ingame menue (right mouse click).
3. Change the Windows screen setting to 800 x 600.

And If you can`t find your saved games ...

Where did you install the game? You didn`t move the Waterhouse folder? Presumably there is no access to the "Saved Games" folder. Let me know where the two folders ended up, you may have to move one of them ...

Hope I could help you for a start!

Raphael

Shadow1000

Quote from: novel games on Mon 22/02/2021 23:45:20
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 22/02/2021 04:23:54

As for your first question - try one or a combination of the following options:

1. Remove the hook at the bottom of the Start menu (in front of "change display resolution").
2. Choose "toggle fullscream" in the ingame menue (right mouse click).
3. Change the Windows screen setting to 800 x 600.

1. I assume the Start menu is the window that launches when you first load the game? It has the options of Start | Load... | Exit. There is no "change display resolution or hook as far as I can see.
2. Toggle fullscreen just makes the game in an window, but the size of the game is about the same.
3. Window resolution 800 X 600 does fill the screen better so maybe I'll try playing that way.

And If you can`t find your saved games ...

Where did you install the game? You didn`t move the Waterhouse folder? Presumably there is no access to the "Saved Games" folder. Let me know where the two folders ended up, you may have to move one of them ...

Hope I could help you for a start!

Raphael

I just downloaded and let the installer do its own job. The icon leads to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waterhouse Demo".  I don't see any "Saved Games" folder in there. What two folders are you referring to?

Vielen Dank

novel games

Here you can see where to mark the screen resolution at the start menu (remove the hook!): https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-44a993-1614175070.jpg.html
My saved games folder I can find under "Documents". If your folder should not be there take a search "Waterhouse Demo"

Shadow1000

Quote from: novel games on Wed 24/02/2021 14:12:30
Here you can see where to mark the screen resolution at the start menu (remove the hook!): https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-44a993-1614175070.jpg.html
My saved games folder I can find under "Documents". If your folder should not be there take a search "Waterhouse Demo"

1. The checkbox (or tickbox) is not on my start screen. Mine is identical to yours but that box is not there.
2. You are right. There is a Waterhouse Demo folder in My Documents with 3 saved games. But when I'm in the game to Load a game they don't show?

novel games

That`s strange. Okay, this really seems to be a special problem of the demo version, cause nobody who has played the major version told me about that. Even I don`t know what you else could do at the moment I`ll still keep trying to solve the problem anyhow ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk