Things that unnerve you, but shouldn't...

Started by Blondbraid, Fri 26/02/2021 22:42:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

I just thought it could be good to have a thread to share stuff that has no right or reason to creep you out, but do anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about things from horror media, dangerous predators, or things that are deliberately trying to be scary or humans are instinctively scared of for a good reason,
but perfectly harmless things that were either meant to be fun and friendly, or just naturally existed that way, but somehow looks cursed while doing so.  :-X

Something I've always been weirded out by is the feet of coots, they just don't look right to me, they look like absurdly long claws with some leftover skin scraps haphazardly attached to them;

Anyone else find this creepy-looking?

TheFrighter

Yeah, a bit. Looks as the "facehugger" of the Alien's movies.

_

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 27/02/2021 09:08:22

Yeah, a bit. Looks as the "facehugger" of the Alien's movies.

_
Now that you say it, they do have that Giger quality to them. To me, it's even more creepy because I mostly see them swimming with their feet underwater, so you only see glimpses of what's underneath at a time.

Blondbraid

The expression on the doll to the right that I saw in a bargain bin some time ago unnerved me.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 01/03/2021 18:27:22
The expression on the doll to the right that I saw in a bargain bin some time ago unnerved me.

Don't you mean the one of the left? Or both?
The one on the right looks stoned, the one on the left looks like it's about to murder me.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 03/03/2021 17:42:05
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 01/03/2021 18:27:22
Don't you mean the one of the left? Or both?
The one on the right looks stoned, the one on the left looks like it's about to murder me.
You're right, I made a typo!  :-[

Blondbraid

arj0n

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/02/2021 22:42:04
Something I've always been weirded out by is the feet of coots, they just don't look right to me, they look like absurdly long claws with some leftover skin scraps haphazardly attached to them;
Not so much creepy-looking, but odd.
These leftover skin scraps do give them the ability to run over water, which is awesome  ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: arj0n on Sun 07/03/2021 22:16:08
Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/02/2021 22:42:04
Not so much creepy-looking, but odd.
These leftover skin scraps do give them the ability to run over water, which is awesome  ;)
Huh, I've seen them about in different ponds and rivers for years, but I've never seen them run on the water surface before!  8-0

Gilbert

In other words Teenage Mutant Ninja Birds. In that case their creepiness is intentional, but no matter what, they never match the creepiness of the Micheal Bay produced TMNT.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 08/03/2021 03:10:57
In other words Teenage Mutant Ninja Birds. In that case their creepiness is intentional, but no matter what, they never match the creepiness of the Micheal Bay produced TMNT.
What's really worse, Michael Bay turtles or the live-action Sonic?

Gilbert

Never watched either of them, but I've heard that they at least tried to fix the uncanny valley problem in Sonic after major backslashes and it was not a bad movie afterall (I just checked, a 6.5 score in IMDB should be far from bad)? But TMNT... WTF AM I LOOKING AT?

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 08/03/2021 09:33:57
Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 08/03/2021 03:10:57
What's really worse, Michael Bay turtles or the live-action Sonic?
Definitely the original live-action Sonic.  (nod)
Unless we're comparing the Michael Bay turtles to the improved live-action Sonic, in which case the Michael Bay turtles is definitely the worst.  (nod)

Speaking of things that disturb me that shouldn't.
These things are at the top of that list:

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 08/03/2021 14:55:30
I don't find the LoL dolls much worse than your average moe anime, but then again, I don't like the average anime face aesthetic much in general.

The most disturbing thing with that doll brand for me is that they thought a child's toy looking like Michael Jackson was OK, considering the allegations against him.

Reiter

Why, I think it is a manufacturer entirely committed to making distressing dollies. It must be. To what ends, I cannot say, but I certainly would not consider giving any child such a thing.

Then again, last I wanted one, I could not find a toy shop for love nor money. Perhaps these wretched little trolls stole them away.

As for my contribution, I offer spiders.

They really ought not to disturb me, particularly here in the north where they are miniscule and do not have any poison that could harm you.
As it happens, I like spiders. They are magnificent little creatures. Beautiful and mysterious. They know things. They are also very frightening, even though they generally cannot cause me any harm.

I saw a program on television, once, about common house spiders and garden spiders. It was very interesting, but it took me quite some willpower to remain. Once I had gotten used to the pictures, I was not quite scared, but I slowly but surely became nauseous from looking at them.

I had to switch off eventually, because I became terribly sea-sick. Indeed, even now, I feel a pang of discomfort, when I think of tiny little house spiders.
Monstrous fantastical spiders, of course, are terrifying to me. I am quite fond of them in tales and video games, however, precisely because they evoke such a response. Nonetheless, it is peculiar. Tiny little spiders cannot hurt me. Big ones cannot hurt me except for when I sleep. Indeed, I cannot say precisely why they frighten me.

They are at their most frightening when they are moving. Spidery locomotion is a very discouraging sight, and I do not know why. They seem incapable of moving except in startling bounds or with a quivering, purposeful creeping with their long, sleek legs... O, Lord.

They are usually content with sticking to their dark corners where we are out of each other's sight and mind, but when they do creep out, it is quite unpleasant. Even if they do me a favour by eating flies and insect, I still catch them and throw them out (gently, I shall add) when I see them. These rooms are simply not big enough for the two of us.
Perhaps it is something about their geometry. I do not know. Their forms are wretched to me, and it is not their fault, and it is utterly silly, but I cannot help it. Poor little things.

I should, of course, include a picture of a spider for the thread, but I am becoming sea-sick, and I cannot bear hunting for a good one right now.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 08/03/2021 17:52:35
I don't find the LoL dolls much worse than your average moe anime, but then again, I don't like the average anime face aesthetic much in general.
You're telling me that this (the most moe anime I know of):
[imgzoom]https://honeysanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/k-on-yui-hirasawa-00.jpg[/imgzoom]
is as disturbing as this:
[imgzoom]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_4C3q1IwcRg/XNC-JxaZdhI/AAAAAAAJ-FI/TJ0VT2rZnj4SoZTfmVTGRLQd5zxhBp7oACLcBGAs/s1600/LOL-SURPRISE013.png[/imgzoom]

I mean now that you mention it, I can see a slight similarity. But I get the feeling like everyone else I've brought it up with, you're just blind to the sheer creepiness of it.
I like to call it "parent blindness", since it usually affects parents (but can affect any adult). As they can't see something as being creepy because it's for kids.
A really good example is the faces they used to make for the moons or clocks on old 70s and 80s kids shows. Those grinning smiles were terrifying! Yet no matter who I ever brought it up to, it was like they were completely blind to it! (Think Thomas the Tank Engine's face, but with a big creepy grin.)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 13/03/2021 18:04:46
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 08/03/2021 17:52:35
You're telling me that this (the most moe anime I know of):
is as disturbing as this:
Well, I was mainly thinking of this image:

I know it's the most extreme example, but I know lots of anime that's been drawn in a similar style.
Of course, it's not an exclusively Japanese problem, I for one hated the female character designs for Frozen too,
they were so exaggerated they didn't look human but like some human/chihuahua hybrids. Take all the problems
You've had with LoL dolls, and imagine them with realistic hair and skin textures.

Just looking at photoshopped versions with more adult facial proportions, the edited versions always look way better.
I mean, look at these comparision images:

I guess Frozen merch plastered everywhere has jaded me against LoL dolls!

Blondbraid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk