Starting a project

Started by fire7side, Sat 27/02/2021 12:44:28

Previous topic - Next topic

fire7side

Hi everyone.  Just starting a project and mostly want to see if my dropbox url works with this forum, but please add whatever criticism you'd like.  I want to do sort of higher pixel artwork like Delores, Ron Gilberts game at 640 x 400.  These were made in Krita with their pixel art tools.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6zh2kp17oz1r64/apartment0m.png?dl=0

Babar

The dropbox url works for me (even if not signed in).

About the image itself, I think the problem with higher res for this style is that there is more empty space, and the lack of specific details creates a greater dissonance- the grey part at the base of the building looks really weird to me, especially where it meets the grass and intersects with the door. Perhaps you could have different outline colours to represent shading- the outline on top would be lighter because it is more likely the sun would hit it, as well as shading on the grass at the base.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

fire7side

I think it has something to do with the size of the image.  I was experimenting with an image from one drive and it works with small images but not large ones.  I don't think there is that much extra space really, it's just I was getting started and couldn't think about what else should be in there.  Most adventure games are jam packed with objects so I am going to have to work on that.  In this one, there will be a bike rack with some bikes in it.  I was thinking the same thing about the concrete and should have tried something on it.  More shadows would help in general especially with more items.  The characters should have shadows of some kind.
That's pretty much the problem with most things I do.  I just can't think of enough objects to put in there and the scenes look empty.
Thanks for your input.
Does anyone else think the robot checks are a little too complicated every time you try to post something?  Do they trust you at some point and stop it or is it always like this?

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Sun 28/02/2021 17:04:53
About the image itself, I think the problem with higher res for this style is that there is more empty space, and the lack of specific details creates a greater dissonance
That's what I love about making low-res pixel art. The lower the resolution, the easier it is to spot and correct mistakes, and the less detail you have to put in. You can even be more abstract, and get sizes and proportions completely wrong, and it'll still look fine.  :-D

Quote from: fire7side on Sun 28/02/2021 17:36:47
That's pretty much the problem with most things I do.  I just can't think of enough objects to put in there and the scenes look empty.
Well that's easy. First put in everything needed for the game, if it is for a game that is. All of the puzzle objects and characters. Then if it's still empty, just sit and think what would be in a location like that.
From your picture, I would say: trees, bushes, a welcome mat, graffiti, a sign, fire hydrant, a grate, a manhole cover, a drainage pipe, an open window, a parked car, tufts of grass, a pile of dirt, a wastebasket, a crack on the floor, a lamp post, a telephone pole, I could probably keep listing more stuff.
It's easy, you just have to sit and think for a moment.  ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk