Dark-themed paintings you like

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 28/02/2021 20:05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Maybe such a thread can be of use. I also suppose most of these works are by now in the public domain (can be used in games too) :)

I like expressionism and a subtype of surrealism, so De Chirico, Munch and similar. Here are two paintings, the first by De Chirico, the second by Odilon Redon.

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

TheFrighter

I'm not sure if it's what you are loking for, however this is Klemens Brosch's Phantasie

[imgzoom]http://static2.nachrichten.at/storage/image/4/7/7/5/1575774_grundtext-561_1qFY9A_NJzSHt.jpg[/imgzoom]

_

KyriakosCH

Is this some kind of dragon?
Better than the Little Prince, I suppose  :-D

Blondbraid

I've always liked the art of Caspar David Friedrich, famous for many paintings of dusk and dawn:

TheFrighter

Ah! C.D. Friedrich was my second pick!  :-D

So, let's continue with Sidney Sime's  Mung and the beast of Mung

_

Gilbert

It's awesome when you use this guy's paintings as cover art of games (no, not Darkseed).

Atelier

Great topic guys. I like Friedrich especially.

My favourite painting is Pieter Brueghel's the Triumph of Death:

Came across it unexpectedly in the Prado which was a treat.

I also like Böcklin's The Isle of the Dead:

KyriakosCH

Giger is good :) Afaik he spraypainted his works (?)

Here is another by him, "Shaft #7":

Racoon

My favorite artist for eery and dark paintings is Zdzislaw Beksinski. He also seems to have a pretty tragic background story.

KyriakosCH

While I like Beksinski, his style (imo) just isn't distinctive enough to make him a top artist.
A few of his paintings are very cool, regardless.

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 15/03/2021 18:45:44
While I like Beksinski, his style (imo) just isn't distinctive enough to make him a top artist.
Really? I thought he had a pretty recognizable style.

Anyway, it's nice to see so many other Friedrich fans here, I might as well post another great painting of his, this one I even used as a base for a MAGS background:

Though this one here below probably speaks more to me as a Swede!  :P

Racoon

QuoteQuote from: KyriakosCH on Yesterday at 18:45

Really? I thought he had a pretty recognizable style.

I also think his style is recognizable, or at least he has reoccuring themes in his paintings, that show his fingerprint. Like modelling objects out of bones. But I am also not so strict when comes to changing styles since I feel an artist can reinvent him/herself all the time.

TheFrighter

There are many dark-weird paintings of Geliy Mikhailovich Korzhev, I choose this Tiurlikis because I saw it once in black & white and I really thought it was a prerendered 3D graphic!

_

KyriakosCH

I was looking for a different painting by Alfred Kubin (the one with the person with the huge head, who really means to enter your room), but this will have to do:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk